Phil Blooms Digital Bolex review

markm

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

No, I didn't find it skewed at all. You just need to understand which parts of what he says is his personal opinion regarding what suits his kind of use for a camera, and what parts are more objective of pros & cons for a camera. Pretty much like any individual reviewer out there.

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

I really think Philip is just telling his real opinions, and that will of course translate into personal love/hate to certain tools. Bloom's reviews are a joy to watch, he's a very highly intelligent, well-spoken man and I appreciate everything he's given us, just as much as I appreciate Eoshd's Andrew Reid. Without you guys, I'd probably be out of passion!

Philip Bloom has done a huge amount to push DSLR cinematography to the masses , He writes great reviews too

he likes certain things more than others thats human nature.

Have you got your Blackmagic camera yet Mark? I know you are a big Blackmagic fan.

Well to compare the two cameras which really is wrong because of the price difference anyway

The DB has
A global shutter
Better sound.

The POCKET has
Prores
Better Raw lossless compression
Small size
1/3 the price.

He seemed to work on the negatives regarding the Pocket which fair enough his opinion. Like the RAW workflow which is because as he said a professional format and what do professionals working in raw do for sound? That's right they use separate sound. He says no prores LT Its like if it has a professional feature why hasn't it got a lessor one.
Like the pocket isn't really a pocket. My opinion is that it is a pocket You can put it in your pocket take out a lens and attach it Bit like saying my car keys aren't really pocket sized because my car doesn't fit in my pocket too. Then there is the whole thing about the battery's short life when the battery can last for an hour if you turn down the screen or you can easily buy an outside battery which leads to all sorts of complaints that it aint a pocket no more.

Then when the DB review comes in its shot on a merry go round with lights in the rain reflecting lights in puddles And Im not saying deliberate but it does make the DB footage look good. Okay its just my opinion But I would rather have prores than XLR sound inputs because I wouldn't be stupid enough to buy the pocket or the bolex for any other reason than for the image if I was working in raw. I would rather record to a card than a disk I would rather pay a third of the price and I would never compare the pocket to the DB when the real comparison in BM's lineup should be the BM4K to the DB because that Is a similar price and with global shutter and that camera will knock the DB into hyperspace.

I just feel that where a normal review should be balanced this is a little uneven to say the least.

So my premise is wrong? Phil blooms article is not a review because the headline said his thoughts?

I guess then anyone can safely write a review that isn't a review with the headline MY THOUGHTS. Well I think someones thoughts wrapped within a review is still a review. I also think its important that your thoughts are in line with the mainstream. Although of course thoughts don't have to be. Maybe then I have it wrong Maybe the review isn't skewed but just the opinion of a user who wants all camera's to suit his/her workflow? I'm not saying that's right but is that what some of think a fair review should or can be based on?

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

It's totally normal for some not to like Philip Bloom's opinions, it's your right really. But wait for the DB full review (a couple of days), maybe you'd change your mind about his approach to the new Bolex.

Maybe the review isn't skewed but just the opinion of a user who wants all camera's to suit his/her workflow? 

Yes.

It's his ideas and his writing.  His opinion.  He's not entitled to do anything beyond that.  If he has a favorable initial impression over one piece of gear to another, that's fine.  He was enthusiastic for the C100 awhile back, but that isn't a viable camera for a lot of people.  Big deal.  

He's not doing a "Consumer Reports" market study, he's writing His Thoughts about a camera.

Welcome to the internet, BTW, hope you like it here.

Turning it on me Like I am to blame for the skewed review is not really answering the question.

I have never said PB cant write what he wants or do what he wants Still doesn't mean his review is skewed or not.

The real problem is dealing with all the fan boys and arse lickers who deliberately subvert any debate by their inappropriate actions.

Maybe the review isn't skewed but just the opinion of a user who wants all camera's to suit his/her workflow? I'm not saying that's right but is that what some of think a fair review should or can be based on?

What is unfair in his review?

It's quite impossible for him to review it from every person's own use and perspective - of bloody course he reviews it with his workflow in mind - just like he always states that he prefers Prores to raw and in general work with 1080p than 4k/5k. ...And that doesn't mean that a Red camera or whatever with raw isn't the right tool for those people who need it.

What is unfair in his review?

Refer to the opening topic post

If he prefers prores then that's a plus for the pocket isn't it?

I also think a reviewer must put aside his own personal interests and remain neutral don't you? I mean where does the logic of writing what you want as a reviewer get you? Lying Cheating Scheming conning? Is that what you are advocating as freedom he or any reviewer is entitled to?

Surely anyone with an intention to buy based on a review will want the facts? Unskewed? Surely if the facts are played with or even done away with then you as a consumer will get shafted? Don't you even care? Just a little? Nope Oh okay then..

Fanboyism heh.

Surely anyone with an intention to buy based on a review will want the facts?

I really don't think you understand what that guy is doing on his blog.  What he wrote is not a review.  

He can offer advice from his perspective.  Exercise some free will and use that advice or ignore it.  That's it.  If you think that statement discredits him, great.  That's your call.

If you find his opinion about codecs seemingly contradictory, so be it.  I don't.  Nor, based on what I shoot, would I concern myself too much with it regardless.

markm's recent forum topic about Philip Bloom's Digital Bolex review seems very skewed in favour of bigotry when compared to more objective and rational responses. I'm beginning to wonder if his topics are neutral. What do others think?  ;)

Phil Blooms recent review of the Digital Bolex seems very skewed in favour of that camera when compared to the Black Magic Pocket or the BMCC. I'm beginning to wonder if his reviews are neutral. What do others think?

I just read it and I can't for the life of me see this being skewed. At all.

This is actually a very nicely done "first thoughts" post that gives a lot of stuff to the reader.

Are you like blind? It is SPECIFICALLY listed as a plus for the pocket cam.

Yes I know he did. Thanks for taking it out of context when clearly It was meant for Dalhfors post and not PB

If others cant see the article favours the Digital Bolex over the Pocket and that it is a fair comparison and that is the forum concensus then fine. I can see I am talking to the converted who clearly think the Digital Bolex is the way to go and even if the pocket is a better camera in their opinion then PB is entitled to say what he likes and no questions asked.

I wont raise the issue here again.

I agree that when it comes to price, the comparison would be with the Blackmagic 4k camera, and I'd probably rather get a Blackmagic 4k camera (when it actually exists) than the Digital Bolex.

However PB's review still makes sense as a comparison between two s16 sized sensor cameras, regardless of how much they cost. He points out many issues with the DB camera too, like the shitty screen for instance, so I don't think it's biased at all. The DB camera seems like a much better thought out camera, and I think that they made sure the hardware features were all there so that its cons could be sorted out later with firmware updates whereas on the Pocket Camera, there's no way a software update would give you good pre amps and sturdy audio connectors. In the end it's just a matter of what you need the camera for, and of course, each one's opinion, and he just gave his, I'm sure there's people writing blogs saying the exact opposite, why focus on the one you don't like? You're just giving him even more protagonism.