Sharp cheap 2x anamorphic lens

Marty

21 hours ago, leslie said:

welcome to the rabbit hole,  how deep it goes is up to you. I think quite few people jump the gun on these bigger projector lenses without doing alot of homework first. I know i did  😁

While cheap initially making it more practical gets expensive  fast. Still with a clamp and lens support you can at least wet your feet in anamorphics

its not a fail, its just more challenging to utilize properly. Some would call it character building 😉 If you persevere you can pat yourself on the back as its not a path many will travel. If nothing else attach it to a camera and stick it on a shelf, great conversation starter or resell on ebay to the next newbie anamorphic adoptee.

with the sirui anamorphic coming out and if it does well i'd expect projection lenses to take a hit  as its so much easier just to buy a complete unit rather than cobble something together which is good for mft and probably full frame further down the road

You're absolutely right. I bought a SmallRig for 65$ with lens support and quick release which will be delivered soon. Maybe looking for macro filters and front filter mount in the near future to get the focus distance closer and building the "CHARACTER"  😁

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

If you plan on building a solid rig based on 15 mm rods, then I highly recommend getting some baseplate / clamp (like this) and a lens collar.

Attach the lens collar to the clamp, slide ISCO inside and secure it (a layer of tape may be necessary to add some grip).

You'll have something like this:

image.thumb.png.143174121e1ebd19673c38e8220fedbb.png

I can confirm that lens collars made for SIGMA 70-200mm F2.8 II EX DG MACRO HSM fit ISCO almost perfectly.

Thanks a lot heart0less for the precious info about the lens collars!

My ultrastar has its back housing removed, so it looks exactly like that one on the right :

flare_compare.JPG

Do you think it will be heavy anyway?

If possible I'd rather look like a tourist than a cameraman when I shoot.

14 hours ago, Marty said:

My ultrastar has its back housing removed

Mine too, welcome to the club.  ( :

Still, if you ever wanted to mount the lens collar, you can place it just a bit closer to the front.

14 hours ago, Marty said:

Do you think it will be heavy anyway?

If possible I'd rather look like a tourist than a cameraman when I shoot.

Yeah, I feel you; every one of us would..

It won't be that heavy, unless you add a variable diopter in front, NONETHELESS: your taking lens may take some strain, especially its filter thread, not to mention the camera's lens mount.
I'd say that all those bigger scopes like ISCOs, Cineluxes, Sankors need some kind of a lens support.

Maybe it's just me being on the safe side of things..

On 2/6/2020 at 12:20 PM, Marty said:

I just ordered one like the one on the right of the photo. Now I need a clamp. I don't know what to buy. My taking lens has a 52mm thread, but I might use another taking lens in the future.

My mounting way for 58mm filter thread (Canon 85mm f1.8) taking lens is here.

isco_mount.jpg

BTW, this lens is easy to add(glue a step up ring) non-rotating filter thread for CPL

diff_fl.jpg

By the way my (final) Setup for about 200$. 

Heavy but OK for the First try.

Any recommendations for 86mm stepdown Rings to add macro lenses at the Front? - i didn't find any.

I'm searching as well for a lifting plate or something like that to get the camera on the exact hight of the projector lens.

IMG_20200207_223425.jpg

Just now, Joshsanamorphic said:

Any recommendations for 86mm stepdown Rings to add macro lenses at the Front? - i didn't find any.

I'm searching as well for a lifting plate or something like that to get the camera on the exact hight of the projector lens.

IMG_20200207_223425.jpg

IMG_20200207_223353.jpg

2 hours ago, Marty said:

I don't find it.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=telephoto+Lens+hood+58mm&LH_PrefLoc=2&_sop=12

11 hours ago, Joshsanamorphic said:

By macro lenses you mean diopters, right?
You don't need any fancy step-down ring, any will do. Most of my rings come from RISE (UK).

But your ISCO has no threads in front, how are you going to attach the step-down ring?

RE: lifting plate - there is nothing you could buy to fix it. To make it work exactly like you want to, you'll need to make it DIY style.

6 hours ago, heart0less said:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=telephoto+Lens+hood+58mm&LH_PrefLoc=2&_sop=12

By macro lenses you mean diopters, right?
You don't need any fancy step-down ring, any will do. Most of my rings come from RISE (UK).

But your ISCO has no threads in front, how are you going to attach the step-down ring?

RE: lifting plate - there is nothing you could buy to fix it. To make it work exactly like you want to, you'll need to make it DIY style.

Yes I mean diopters but those cheap ones are often called macro lenses like from Polaroid which cost 20€ 4 diopters from +1 to +10 

The Isco has a Front thread but there is a Ring screwed in which tightens the Front Glass. I thought I could use a stepdownring instead of the Ring which tightens the Glass and enables me to use diopters

I will Look at RISE later - thanks a lot!

1 hour ago, Joshsanamorphic said:

Yes I mean diopters but those cheap ones are often called macro lenses like from Polaroid which cost 20€ 4 diopters from +1 to +10 

They are not as bad as they seem.

A friend of mine bought a similar set (this one exactly) and shared some photos taken with them.

image.thumb.png.ba10448f35f063530606da0d9599ef00.png

image.thumb.png.806dffd04e7b0fe462a5721fd9175be5.png

image.thumb.png.66d4899498423650e683912286f9a0bf.png

The Isco has a Front thread but there is a Ring screwed in which tightens the Front Glass. I thought I could use a stepdownring instead of the Ring which tightens the Glass and enables me to use diopters

It's not a bad idea. Keep us updated. ( :

I will Look at RISE later - thanks a lot!

You're welcome.

On 2/8/2020 at 7:48 AM, Joshsanamorphic said:

IMG_20200207_223425.jpg

sorry im a bit late too the party i made my own but i had access to a waterject cutter. you could do something similar with a drill just depends on how enthusiastic you are

i measured everything then had a piece cut out of 5mm sheet alloy

my elmoscope came with a mount attached  i had the arm machined off the mount and three holes drilled and tapped to bolt the old mount and my "custom" upright together. The waterject cost me nothing however the machining was a different matter Still i get a warm glow at night keeping a local fed and watered. At the same time i had a adapter made up as the back of the elmoscope is an odd filter size, the other side of it is the same size as a 85mm takumar i think.

i had hopes of getting a single focus solution before now but that hasn't worked out. The issue is that its a solid mount so i come unstuck if the lenses wants to move forward or backwards when you focus the taking lens as there is no give in the system  At this point 1) i either change the base to a linear rail to allow it to move as the taking lens moves 2) buy a single lens solution  3) buy the sirui anamorphic and worry about the elmoscope later on 4) build some type of bellows that has 30-40mm travel but that may cause issues with vignetting.

hope the photos give you some ideas

rig1.jpg

rig2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry I didn't quote correctly on the above post, the picture is Ken's but I just wrote these two phrases:

"I finally managed to find something similar to this :"

"It fits, but how do I keep the anamorphic projector lens horizontal ?"