FigRig vs Glidecam, what's your take?

mtheory

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Both have three things in common:

1. They don't allow to control focus. So either you use auto focus, intuifocus or hyperfocal distance.

2. They prevent the image from rotating, the worst form of instability. 

3. They make the operator independant from the optical axis of the system (unlike 3-point-stabilization or a shoulder rig), which also means he can't use a viewfinder, but needs the LCD/an external monitor.

The FigRig doesn't absorb steps at all (though it is easier to walk with it than with a shoulder rig >independant from optical axis), whereas the Glidecam can.

Two other commandments are valid for all kinds of camera movements:

1. Thou should not tilt! (of course there are exceptions, but keep them such. The FigRig allows to prevent unwanted tilting)

2. Thou should not change height! (this is a noob behaviour with steadicams, a camera is no beer glass, no cheers!. Always keep the horizon on the same level. Also possible with the steering wheel design of the FigRig. The first lesson of any steadi-walk tutorial covers that - it's hard and needs a lot of attention and practice).

Which one would I choose? I would choose any device suitable for the task at hand.

Okay, let me rephrase the question for a less scientific discussion, what aesthetic do you as an artist prefer for your ( not client's ) work? For your film. Thing is, I've always preferred Glidecam, but after trying the FigRig my shots seem so much more...human. I'm actually really enjoying the aesthetic...it's smoother than handheld, jerkier than glidecam...but in a way that I like. I'm easily pulling of walking handheld shots like in The Wrestler. Love it!

I dont know about the fig rig but the glidecam can get pretty heavy.Also the gimbal might be badly calibrated which you probably won't notice if you never had a a steadycam, this will make you think balancing the steadycam is a very hard task and a frustrating one. Another thing is that it's not possible to use with wind.

The most important thing (beside the heavyness on wrists when you don't have a vest) is that you have to learn how to use it, some people get it very fast, other don't have the fine-motorics and will always be limited to very simple movements.

I can't wait to dump my steadycam for some sort of electronic stabilization.

Nothing more. It's just different. I removed the pan bar and I pan and tilt directly with my two hands on the fig rig. I can switch very quickly between monopod shots and walking shots. For walking shots I down the monopod to minimal length and it comes something like a conterweight. And a last thing in outdoor situation. I can attach my jacket on my FigRig with a simple clip and hide my face and viewfinder to sunlight like guys who used to a view camera. 

Sorry for my bad english.