How Good's Your Colour Vision?

Bioskop.Inc

Colour grading can be difficult & some people find it more challenging than others.

So, are some of us not genetically predestined towards this area & are some of us are just natural born killers when it comes to colour?

Here's a test to show you how well you can identify colour or, in simple speak, How Colour Blind Are You?!

http://www.xrite.com/custom_page.aspx?pageid=77&lang=en

Thought it was a bit of fun!

Have a go & post your scores if you're brave...

I got a big fat 0 points, if it makes you feel any better

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Unless your monitor is high end, the only thing this test will do is show you the limitations of your monitor, not your colour vision. :)

Being able to grade well relies little on a person's ability to see colour (unless you're colour blind, of course), but more on being able to recognise and compare the subtle differences you do see, and choosing a nice pallet. So essentially, it can be a learnt skill.

Women typically have better colour recognition than men, which is interesting.

I think that a score of 0 is ideal though, right?

Yeah, just a bit of reverse psychology, as 0 is normally a shit score!

I was really surprised that with my shit eyesight & being over 40, i'd score really badly.

Thought it was an interesting test, as i'd never really thought that people weren't on a level playing field when CC was involved. 

Also, it kinda justifies why i only use the scopes etc...once i've finished grading stuff - you know just to check & make sure.

Unless your monitor is high end, the only thing this test will do is show you the limitations of your monitor, not your colour vision. :)

You'd think that would be the case, but i've got a shit monitor & still got a perfect score (i did the test a few times just to make sure), so...i think you're wrong.

You've either got good colour vision or you don't & if you don't you really need to use the tools your NLE provides to help you along.

You'd think that would be the case, but i've got a shit monitor & still got a perfect score (i did the test a few times just to make sure)...

I also got a perfect score with really bad laptop monitor.

Maybe the test should be more subtle.. Or bad monitor = heavier color banding = easier? :blink:

I also got a perfect score with really bad laptop monitor.

Maybe the test should be more subtle.. Or bad monitor = heavier color banding = easier? :blink:

Nah!

He probably got a bad score & was trying to find an excuse for his genetic make-up - nothing wrong with being a little colour blind, its nature/natural!

I made the test quickly, so that it looked okay. Got a '16'. Must repeat it, it rankles me. I don't think it has to do with the monitor. If it had, there was the excuse: Mine is just too old and can't be calibrated properly. Probably just two or three squares in wrong order ...

Being able to grade well relies little on a person's ability to see colour (unless you're colour blind, of course), but more on being able to recognise and compare the subtle differences you do see, and choosing a nice pallet. So essentially, it can be a learnt skill.

I think it's crucial to know one's handicap. Does a person with no perfect color vision ever become a good colorist? The eye is unreliable in more than one way. Perhaps it's better to stay aware of that. Colorists rely on scopes primarily, anyway. Listen to Steve Hullfish:

http://vimeo.com/55139561

I don't think you guys know what a bad / shitty monitor is... :)

Do this test on a bad monitor and there will be no way of telling the differences among many of those subtle nuances, not mattering how good your colour vision is.

So yes - it's a test that requires both a proper display and an eye for colour.

I got an 18, using a two grand grading monitor.

Which made me think... and it turns out it's only connected in a mode that doesn't allow it's full colour range, so some of the colours were the same or quantised! The wrong cable...

I only had three patches of failures, all in the subtlest shades! So it worked as a diagnostic test.

A colour grader isn't a scope though, they aren't there to measure micro differences between shades, they're there to enhance the emotional impact of story using colour.

If they're seriously colour blind maybe it's a hindrance, but i don't feel it matters too much if they aren't shade perfect, the scopes can do the measuring, the person can do the feeling.

A bit of fun though!

I don't think you guys know what a bad / shitty monitor is... :)

Do this test on a bad monitor and there will be no way of telling the differences among many of those subtle nuances, not mattering how good your colour vision is.

So yes - it's a test that requires both a proper display and an eye for colour.

I used a good monitor & a shitty monitor - scored 0 both times!

So you can either spot the micro differences or you can't - don't blame your monitor, blame your eyes.

The whole point was to say your eyes aren't reliable, so use your scopes - but you professionals should know this!

However, anyone starting out might not realise how badly your eyes can deceive you.

I think everybody (except for those with some form of color vision deficiency) can score perfect on this test, on shitty monitors too. It's just a few different shades. Put them roughly in the right order, look carefully and you'll see something is wrong if you look long enough. A shitty monitor is not gonna change that. Maybe it will if it shows only 16 colors.

Maybe I'm wrong about the monitor then, I spose i did rush it... of course, what you're saying makes sense... I found it's not in 10-bit mode but that shouldn't have made a difference.

I think it's speed more than anything else ( a factor I'm quite preoccupied with)  I only had a few minutes to do it so fucked up a little on the subtle bits

This monitor is good, but it's hard to get used to, a bit like studio monitors in audio, when you first move from hi-fi speakers!

The real test is translation. I've found grades I do on this monitor, while referencing on worse ones, translate to every screen well. Same with audio mixed on good speakers...

I used a good monitor & a shitty monitor - scored 0 both times!

So you can either spot the micro differences or you can't - don't blame your monitor, blame your eyes.

The whole point was to say your eyes aren't reliable, so use your scopes - but you professionals should know this!

However, anyone starting out might not realise how badly your eyes can deceive you.

Agree on that, brain can easily trick you!

And my point was - you keep on using the word shitty, and I don't think you know what shitty means when it comes to monitors... :)

I've been doing design for web & print for the last fifteen years, and I've come across some truly crappy monitors out there. On some monitors it is just not possible to see color differences. Usually IPS or PVA-based panels are alright, but some of the 6-bit TN panels are outright horrible. In addition to not being able to see differences between nearby colors on them, some can't even be calibrated to show neutral grays, whatever you do (...and don't mention the black and white levels nor viewing angles).

Nah!

He probably got a bad score & was trying to find an excuse for his genetic make-up - nothing wrong with being a little colour blind, its nature/natural!

Don't assume ;) I got a score of 0. My point was that, realistically, there are so few shades in this test that it would hit the limit of computer monitors before it hits the limit of the human eye... but then I looked up how many colours the human eye is estimated to see, and it's apparently around 10 million... which is less than the 16.7 million that monitors are supposed to dispaly, so I guess my point was wrong anyway! :lol: