It's eGPU time!

kye

On 6/30/2019 at 2:14 AM, webrunner5 said:

RX570 is pretty damn slow in this day and age, and even then it has to be overclocked like hell to even be half good. And then you figure they are 25 to 30 % less efficient in the add on box form, hmm.

https://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu.php?gpu=Radeon+RX+570&id=3741

Maybe the RX580 but..

https://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu.php?gpu=Radeon+RX+580&id=3736

The 570 will still give a nice boost to performance over the internal GFX and the bottleneck is not 30% especially with that card. A 580 would be ideal and would be my number one recommendation especially if cutting anything over 1080p.

In addition, Resolve uses GPU's differently to Premiere (Premiere is terrible at using max performance of most hardware) so any videos using premiere as their test bench will not apply to Resolve. Here's a good test I found, although a little dated in terms of hardware he used.

https://filmdrives.com/blogs/blog/2018-macbook-pro-egpu-faster-transcoding

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
26 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

A Radeon 560x in that test is slow as Dog Shit. You can't be serious! My 95 year old mother would piss a bitch if I gave her one.

https://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu.php?gpu=RX+560X&id=4052

Do you come here just looking for argument. Calm down dude.

If you are referencing the article I linked to, the writer is comparing a 2018 MBP WITH dedicated GFX. Kye has a MBP without dedicated GFX so results should be similar if not more advantageos for Kye.

Again, Kye already has a MBP so suggesting he doesn't waste money on a Mac for resolve is terrible advice. 

EDIT: here is a simple comparison of the integrated GFX in Kye's MBP compared to the 560x in the article. as you can see, Kye will get a more noticeable improvement as his inter iris graphics is less powerful to start with. He would benefit more by the eGPU.

You are suggesting to hundreds of people on here to buy an outdated, in this day and age, useless GPU.  And you don't want me to get upset with you throwing someone that is not too great at understanding this stuff under the bus. That is a pretty interesting.

And unless you have the newest MBP with a Serious eGPU they Are a waste of time for 4k editing or above in Resolve. FCPX well sure, it is designed not to be a GPU hog. My 2015 MBP is a dog using Resolve editing 4k. My son's 3 year old Razor laptop Kills it.

13 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

You are suggesting to hundreds of people on here to buy an outdated, in the day and age, useless GPU.  And you don't want me to get upset with you throwing someone that is not too great at understanding this stuff under the bus. That is a pretty interesting.

No one here suggested buying a 560. I recommended an AMD GPU due to Mojave not supporting Nvidia drivers. Yes, I did write 570 & 580 and recommended the 580 for anything over 1080p. You seem to just pick on one little element of my whole post. But that's the person you are, little useful information, lot's of negative nitpicking. You suggested he not waste his money on a mac......despite him already having one. FFS....

And here is another one of those comparisons you love to link to. It's gaming comparison FWIW but that doesn't seem to bother you.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2019/05/03/nvidia-gtx-1650-vs-amd-rx-570/

33 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

Holly crap that GTX 1650 is old as the hills. It is 6th from the bottom on this list. I don't think you know anything about GPU's.

https://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/3465-dead-on-arrival-nvidia-gtx-1650-video-card-review-vs-rx-570

I know that he RX570 8Gb will work well in an eGPU if you want a less expensive version. 

I don't think you know anything about editing video in the real world.

Or yes, for maximum performance, Kye could use the cloud based editing you linked to ???

Hey the RX 580 is not a bad card for the money even today. But the older ones are a waste of time.  I have NEVER been a fan of AMD anything. I have had a few years ago, and they were a joke. There is a reason they are so cheap. You have to overclock the hell out of everything they make, and they die a quick death because of that. Heat is your worse enemy on a computer. They Never bench what they claim out of the box. MSI stuff is the Only thing I ever buy GPU wise, and Intel CPU wise in years. Anything else is a crap shoot. I have built at least 40 PC's or more for my self, my son, and others in my family and for friends. I kind of know computers. I am a gamer and so is my son. I have a Degree in computer science. I have been doing video since you were probably in a crib. I suck at Post but hey, years ago you were not payed to do it all. That is why they have 20 people or more on a shoot. That is the reason why @IronFilm is a busy person. And I taught my son, my daughter how to do it, and my son is probably better at it now than I am. But I am not out of the loop on this stuff even at my age.

Not everyone knows all this stuff I realize that. And I don't want to have someone on here buy a outdated GPU that is on paper worse or no better than what they already have in their Desktop or Laptop. Nobody in this day and age has tons of money to throw at this stuff. So they need to find the best they can get for the money. But GPU's, CPU's die a quick death in this day and age as tech and 4k, 6k, even 8k advance. Nobody can keep up with the latest, but you surely don't need to waste money on older outdated stuff. I am trying to help, am I an expert, well maybe not now, but I know a lot more about this stuff than the average person does. YMMV.

28 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

have NEVER been a fan of AMD anything.

Not everyone knows all this stuff I realize that. And I don't want to have someone on here buy a outdated GPU that is on paper worse or no better than what they already have in their Desktop or Laptop. 

And yet you recommended two things you admit you know nothing about. Cloud editing and the latest (EXPENSIVE) iPad pro???

Well if you are running Mojave you have no choice but to go AMD, hence my recommendation. I've always been Nvidia as well but what's the point of going on about whether or not they are better in this case as I wouldn't consider an Nvidia GPU an option here if you want to maintain compatibility with Apple.

Watch the last video I linked to and then say that the 570 in an eGPU will be no better than integrated GFX that Kye has? Have you lost your mind?

Ive built and maintained many edit systems over the last few years for a few production companies with in house editors so I'm not just looking at gaming benchmarks to base my opinions on.

I have the latest iPad Pro. I think I know a lot more about it than you do. I think you are clueless. Cloud editing is going to be the next big thing. Is it good now, no, will it be, yes with enough Bandwidth. And there is not many Benchmarks for Editing GPU's, CPU's because the average person could NEVER afford one. You are talking 50 thousand Dollar outfits. 10 thousand dollar Monitors. 200 thousand dollar consoles. 100 thousand dollar Raid systems. Crazy stuff.

If it wasn't for gamers you could Never afford a decent GPU. They are what drive the market. It isn't Bob down the street that drives anything computer wise. 99% of the people in the world are totally clueless about computers.

6 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

I have the latest iPad Pro. I think I know a lot more about it than you do. I think you are clueless. Cloud editing is going to be the next big thing. Is it good now, no, will it be, yes with enough Bandwidth.

5G is coming, that is, if Trump will allow it! LOL : ) BTW, what version have you bought? How much of RAM? I was unable to find such information online... Have you tried to connect it coupled to eGPU via Thunderbolt 3 and edit on Resolve?

15 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

I have the latest iPad Pro. I think I know a lot more about it than you do. I think you are clueless. Cloud editing is going to be the next big thing. Is it good now, no, will it be, yes with enough Bandwidth.

Yes, I'm clueless. Thats why I often get paid to build edit systems and 10Gbe networks/Storage for production companies.

Sorry, where did I mention $50,000 outfits. You are just making shit up now.

I'm not saying you can't edit video on an iPad pro, but Kye has a MacBook Pro that he is trying to get better performance out of. For a small amount, he can massively upgrade his edit experience as well as keep his existing MacBook. The eGPU is also upgradable in future and works with Resolve now neither of which the iPad pro are capable of doing.

To recap, you suggested Kye change his hardware and edit software of choice, I suggested a solution which fits in with both of his current hardware/software solutions...Yet, you say you are the one trying to suggest affordable solutions? I think not. Cloud is good, but not there yet given current networks.

Please, keep it real dude!

11 minutes ago, Emanuel said:

5G is coming, that is, if Trump will allow it! LOL : ) BTW, what version have you bought? How much of RAM? I was unable to find such information online... Have you tried to connect it coupled to eGPU via Thunderbolt 3 and edit on Resolve?

I have the 256GB one. Only one they had. I haven't done any editing on it in Resolve because there is as of now no Resolve for an iPad. But since the new OIS is out now in Beta form, which I have in it, down the road I would not be surprised BMD might make it for them. It has more horsepower than my MBP 2015. And yeah 5G is sucking ass here in the USA. I am not holding my breath for it lol..

6 minutes ago, A_Urquhart said:

Yes, I'm clueless. Thats why I often get paid to build edit systems and 10Gbe networks/Storage for production companies.

Sorry, where did I mention $50,000 outfits. You are just making shit up now.

I'm not saying you can't edit video on an iPad pro, but Kye has a MacBook Pro that he is trying to get better performance out of. For a small amount, he can massively upgrade his edit experience as well as keep his existing MacBook. The eGPU is also upgradable in future and works with Resolve now neither of which the iPad pro are capable of doing.

Please, keep it real dude!

If you work for networks, which I have, they are not buying 2000 dollars rigs from Best Buy, or just Bob building them down the street. I kind of know a little about that also.

11 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

I have the 256GB one. Only one they had. I haven't done any editing on it in Resolve because there is as of now no Resolve for an iPad. But since the new OIS is out now in Beta form, which I have in it, down the road I would not be surprised BMD might make it for them. It has more horsepower than my MBP 2015. And yeah 5G is sucking ass here in the USA. I am not holding my breath for it lol..

If you work for networks, which I have, they are not buying 2000 dollars rigs from Best Buy, or just Bob building them down the street. I kind of know a little about that also.

I don't work for networks, where did you read this? I have built edit suites for Production companies. These range from $3,000 systems to cut DSLR footage on and offline editing to $20,000 systems for online. 

Again, did you watch the last video I linked to. Did the RX570 make no difference?  

Kye, listen to Webrunner. Ditch your MacBook and use an iPad on the cloud. Then, if you don't like either option you are stuck with having to sell your iPad pro and buy another laptop while moving all your projects back to resolve. Sound feasible. ????

Or you can find used eGPU enclosures and RX580 GPU's for a few hundred dollars each and you are good to go.

12 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

I hope so : ) BMD has some responsibilities to fulfill. I expect they don't lose the genesis of their coming to this arena. I've had my doubts more recently, unfortunately. I dislike arrogance from manufacturer players and they're growing up too much and fast.

Hope they don't burn the common sense with their own chances (E : -)

The new OIS for iPads is really getting close to what a full blown MBP is. I am amazed what they are doing. I never thought they would do what they are doing. Apple has had a big drop in iPad sales over the years. Maybe they are seeing the light as they say, and thinking since Smartphones are so powerful now people are going to pass on laptops, let alone Desktops?? I see zero reason even to carry a 13" MB when you can have a iPad that is just as good, or close to it..

And if you can't afford a "Expensive" iPad Pro at 1,100 Dollars why the heck you into video? You can't spend more money than doing video. It is a Total money sink. You are ALWAYS sucking hind tit on it. It is not for the meek. Sounds like you need a better job if you think 1,100 bucks is expensive. I make that much a week tax free take home, and I am retired. If you work your ass off all your life you can benefit from it. Maybe where you live it is not as easy, who knows.

32 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

5G will revolutionize a lot in this and other industries : ) Impossible to deny, it's only wait and see...