1. Zach

Zach

• Similar Content

• By Ingerson
      Well, it’s been 8 months since I completed this and almost a year since I promised @mercer to post it once completed

I don’t really know what to say about this, it’s my first short and I wanted to try this medium after trying music, photography, drawing/painting and all sorts of writing in order to figure out myself and my depression.

It took me months to complete due to my mental state and lack of energy and I intended to post this sooner, but life can be a little too much sometimes. Or very often in my case.

Even though it was the hardest creative thing I’ve done in my life, (despite having a background or experience in most of the separate artforms that make up a film) I was really lost in the entire process and I developed love/hate relationship to it. I wanted to quit all the time when I wrote it, when prepping, when shooting and during the long, motivational drainage that is editing.

But I guess that’s also where the love was born. No matter all the mistakes I made, I could somehow save it and make a decent first short thanks to the editing by re-arranging the pieces I had. Throw away most of it, stretching what was left of it, slowing or speeding up some of it, playing some of it in reverse. Dubbing in new sound (needed, cause most of it was unusable. Note to self: Don’t forget sound!

I’ve tried to make another short since, but haven’t completed the shoot. I don’t know if I’ll finish that one, it’s just a silly comedy I made with my then girlfriend, now fiancée on my phone (This one was shot on the DVX200 before anyone asks, cameras are important on this forum apperantly, hehe) because she wanted me to make something less depressing, but I guess I’m just a gloomy guy, all my new ideas are based on my different malfunctions.

Hopefully I’ll work up enough energy to make another, I really want to.

Anyway, enough talking. I hope you’ll give this a go and give me some pointers, but go easy on me, okay?

Now, pick you poison:

https://vimeo.com/272702923

https://youtu.be/rsXdjH4I5YA

• By Zach Goodwin2
      How To Film In Natural Light

Not enough light:
      Move the subject closer to the light source, bring the camera closer to the subject, angle the camera to create a silhouette, use a lower f/stop. Try to focus on how the subject is lighted not the background.
      Possibility:
      Use a slower shutter speed if there is less movement going on. If you can decrease the frames per second, and maybe try using a time-lapse. Better yet, for wide-shots use a wide angle lens with a low f/stop.
      Controversial Hint:
      Despite the criticism on this subject, do not focus on noise/grain. Try to use On-Camera lighting well.
      Too much light:
      Move the subject farther away from the light source, bring the camera farther from the subject, angle the camera to create a clean background, use a higher f/stop.
      Possibility:
      Use a faster shutter speed if there is less movement going on. If you can increase the frames per second, and maybe even try using slow motion shots where there are lots of fast movement. Better yet, for close-ups use a telephoto lens with a high f/stop.
      Controversial Hint:
      Despite the criticism on this subject, do not focus too much on highlight loss.
      Thoughts on All of This:
      Do not try to add any reflectors, add more lights, get people to help you out unless you have figured out how to light the scene naturally. It can be expensive.
    • By Aputure
      Hey guys, hope this is okay! We're the Aputure Lighting team and have been working on a lot of educational tutorials lately on how to shoot on-location and in different settings. This week we did an episode at a Jail Set and did recreations of famous jail scenes. The idea is to break down quick and simple lighting setups and start getting the online creator community to think a little outside the box of 3-point lighting. Would love to hear what you think. Happy to answer any questions. And if you like the episode, we're always happy to take requests for episodes or other tutorials you'd like to see. 
      - Nerris from the A-Team

• By Rich Miller
      Hi Peoples,
      We shot the following for the Cinema5a challenge which is taking place at the moment. If you like it PLEASE tick the thumbs up on youtube and feedback is very welcome.