Reflections about "Roma" cinematography ...

anonim

... for me interesting because of attempt/goal to touch everyday/transient metaphysics through aesthetic of the most austere hyper realistic images - that then I'd call "pure phenomenological poetry" :)

Brief and full of interesting remarks dialogue between Cuaron (as own dop) and Lubezki

https://www.indiewire.com/2018/12/roma-emmanuel-lubezki-alfonso-cuaron-cinematography-1202028167/

E.L. - "It does produce a feeling — hard to describe — the camera becomes almost like a consciousness revisiting the story. The camera knows something the actors do not. It’s very powerful... It feels like the camera and the cinematography are not there to illustrate; they are the film itself."

A.C. - "It’s a ghost of the present visiting the past, objectively without getting involved, just observing, not trying to make a judgment or a commentary, that everything there would be just the commentary itself."

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

The detail of "rRoma" is almost too dense for me as a home viewed film.  I feel I really should have watched it in a theatre.  The small living room screen couldn't hold the info.

One of the better, IMHO, B&W films from the past few years is "Ida."

That was a masterclass in composition and static beauty.... done by a young dude too.

5 hours ago, fuzzynormal said:

The detail of "rRoma" is almost too dense for me as a home viewed film.  I feel I really should have watched it in a theatre.  The small living room screen couldn't hold the info.

One of the better, IMHO, B&W films from the past few years is "Ida."

That was a masterclass in composition and static beauty.... done by a young dude too.

I think you are totally right... such abundance of details has to be perceived at level of involving spectator as traveling-process of identification. What seems interesting to me, is that it is not appeal to identification through story, or perceptive suspense, even not through moving emotions in strict sense - but through, I'd say, reactivation similarity of constructed images from our own memory, manipulating (and making topic of question) core base of phenomenology of perception, time and sense of "really" being real (through power of using similar sensible perception).

I agree also, Ida is very nice... If you maybe haven't seen yet, I'd dare to suggest also Cold  war from the same author, it seems to me even better.

But, distinction is, IMO, that in both of that movies visual/paint aspect is in the function of accentuating narrative. It seems to me that Roma tries something more ponderous - with success or not.

(BW movies about - it's such pity that Bela Tarr doesn't make movies any more... As also that Western public is not so acquainted with works - at least last two - of Aleksey German Sr. Comparing to indeed high level of Cuaron's or Pavlikovsky's movies, just after watching cameraworks ideas of Hrustalev or Hard to be God, I remembered that indeed existed very few whole-art genius also in cinema...)