Jump to content

Panasonic AG-AC90 or Panasonic GH3, WHAT I got , YOU opinion


Recommended Posts

Alright, not sure if this is the right forum but, I recently just got a GH3 , I do mostly VIDEO, I film alot of skateboarding about 60 percent and then short movies/docs/video/ the other 40 percent.  I am an old vx2000 user for like 10 years and thought it was time to upgrade. I been researching for weeks and decided to get a GH3,  My question is should I have i gotten a panny ag-ac90 insted?


 This was my reasoning,   For years i kept hearing and seeing how good the gh2 was, and how nice the quality was. i saw alot of pro filmers starting to use dslr's granted they prolly use mark 3's but whatever, I saw many tests were it was a gh3 vs the ag-ac90, and they looked just about the same , the ag-ac90 was about 800 dollars more but i would need 2 lenses for my gh3 for they even out in price.


I understand that the Ag-ac90 is an easier SHOT and GO, and the has XLR, and an adapter for gh3 is more $$$$ like 300, but all the seperate videos and short films i kept watching for both cameras, the GH3 BESTED the ag-ac90 easly quality,  un color corrected and color corrected I could not understand why,

WHy dslrs have such good quality when cameras made just for filmimg can't keep up.


So in my NOT PRO opinion i got the gh3, it just shipped yesturday. IF u take away the shot and go, and the better sound controls ( i don't really mind taking time to set-up ) DID i make the right choice.   Also as there was a awsome hack for gh2 that made it super sweet, i am hoping sometime within the year the gh3 would get one that would make it even more better.    Opinions Please?

sorry for making you read all this,  --Alex--


Link to comment
Share on other sites

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

i just don't want to spend thousands of dollars on lenses , i only really need 2 or 3, a wide angle for skating , just for skating , i got a renikon 7.5, and i am thinking in getting a zoom one and 20mm pancake or 35mm for like short videos and sutff,   im just overwhelmed with all this stuff you can and sometimes need to get its crazy i should have upgraded earlier and not waited years

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I already had some nice Canon lenses and a T2i so I bought a Canon 6d (aka the bastard camera with the moire issues) to go with it for a project I'm doing. I also "know" the Canons, so I was able to ramp up on the 6D pretty easy. If you makes you feel any better, I wanted to go with the GH3 but would have had to buy 2 of them and lenses for both.


Take it slow. Buy what you need as you need it. It took me a few years, but I have a nice audio recorder and mics, a nice light kit and a couple of Canons with a few nice lenses. I can totally sell off my cameras/lenses (and I might after these projects) and my audio and lights are still good to go.


To generalize, the dedicated video camera are easier to use. But I think you can have more fun with the DSLR.


I bought my T2i, an entry level camera for the most part at the time, and added a 100mm f2.8 Macro that cost as much as the camera and a 70-200mm f2.8 that cost a lot more than the camera. It's only now that I feel the true need to upgrade the camera a little bit. The lenses are every bit as good as they were when I bought them.


Same with you. I think a lot of these MFT lenses will fit a lot of fun cameras coming up. The 60p will be great for skateboard vids.


I went crazy trying to decide what to do, then I did it, and now I don't care. These are the tools I have, now, what can I do with them?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

yea, I just got it in the mail today, tomorrow i might go  out and just buy a fisheye since i need thats first mostly  and take it from there like you suggested  ,Its funny in my film classes everytime i ask any teachers whats a better camera to get, they say basicly what you said, its not what you have , its what you can do with what you have , i know its cliche but i guess a real film maker can get his point across no matter what camera he uses.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • EOSHD Pro Color 5 for All Sony cameras
    EOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
    EOSHD Dynamic Range Enhancer for H.264/H.265
  • Create New...