Dynamic range test - EOS R / X-T3 / Z7 / A7 III / GH5S / who has the best LOG?

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 10/26/2018 at 12:38 PM, Andrew Reid said:

Or maybe a small umbrella that attaches to the hotshoe?

Gust of wind and you lose your hotshot.

This is probably the best if you are not shy ...

https://www.nubrella.com/?v=7516fd43adaa

Or a Portabrace rain cover ...

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=porta brace rain cover&N=0&InitialSearch=yes&sts=ps

Thanks for this test! I was surprised by your verdict on the EOS R, especially regarding how it handles the shadows. Did you not experience ugly artifacts in the EOS R shadows? 

This spring I replaced my 80D with a M50 as a B-Camera and I'm starting to regret it because it handles shadows way worse than the 80D. 

Take a look at two frame grabs from a Moon Eclipse Timelapse I shot, it's UHD but it happens in HD too: 

1541037542_M50LLSample1.thumb.jpg.c77f174fa0c4af76b5550d1ffbb067d8.jpg160788788_M50LLSample2.thumb.jpg.81c374d0e2e30515b7511f4f06415168.jpg

There are some really ugly artifacts you can only hide by crushing the blacks way too far... Even worse they reveal some strange sensor-split. When the moon is in the left part of the image, the artifacts stop in the middle of the frame. Only when the moon crosses to the right half of the frame, the artifacts appear in that half of the frame too...

This was shot with EOS HD C-Log as obviously there is no Canon Log on the M50 but I would assume another Log-profile would reveal such artifacts too. Is it save to assume this problem does not exist with the EOS R, just like it did not exist on the 80D? 

Edit: I replaced the frame grabs as the first ones still had a little grade on them that hided the artifacts a little bit. Now they should be more visible.

• 3 weeks later...