Long form, slow paced travel videos

jeff2626

So I'd first like to introduce myself as a 5+ year lurker on this forum who recently created an account.  Hi, my name is Jeff. I feel like there isn't really a "market" for this type of genre. Most travel videos I see are rapid cuts of ground footage, interspersed with drones, and fast paced music. I recently saw on a post (forgot where it was) that someone was actually appreciative of the fact that there wasn't a cut every 0.5 seconds that wasn't cutting to a drone inbetween every shot. I actually love shooting this type of travel content where each shot gives the viewer enough time to actually have a "feel" of the space. I tend to be the type of person who shoots a lot but rarely shares much so I thought after seeing that post it would be a good opportunity to share a video I shot a few months ago on a trip to Iceland. It's definitely long (8+ minutes) but I wanted to shoot it in a way that could actually invite the viewer in and actually help them feel what I felt when I was there.  Also this was one of the weirdest and most surreal places I've ever been to. Let me know your thoughts, on the actual video and as a medium as a whole. 

• 2 weeks later...
EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Hi Jeff,

I'm very much in agreement with you here. I shoot a lot of travel films in northern Finland (personal hobby use not commercial). They are slow paced, tranquil and relaxing. Nothing really “happens” but (in my opinion) they represent the vast arctic landscape. I tend not to include people. 

The films I’ve made of the aurora borealis are similar - they are long and things happen slowly with a few moments of rapid “dancing”. 

And no drone footage (I actually cancelled an order for the Mavic 2 Pro because I realised I didn’t really want the footage although it would be fun flying the drone).

I liked your video (and music was appropriate)

• Super Members
On 10/5/2018 at 8:03 AM, jeff2626 said:

I recently saw on a post (forgot where it was) that someone was actually appreciative of the fact that there wasn't a cut every 0.5 seconds that wasn't cutting to a drone inbetween every shot.

I think that might have been me ;)

I definitely prefer these types of films as well and yours is another good example.

I also now know to pack some midgie spray if I go to Iceland :)