Is the 1DX2 still worth getting?

joshhr

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
3 hours ago, Django said:

kinda surprised nobody has mentioned the elephant in the room: 1DX2 hasn't got C-Log. or peaking. or 10-bit. For $6K i find that hard to overcome. We're almost talking C200 price range..

That's why I said image straight out the can. If you are looking for a cam that does that juicy rec 709, mojo etc. It does it best.

Focus peaking is irrelevant when you have dpaf.

Tbh. 8/10bit for canon c-log is not robust enough. I hated using it on the 1DC.

I remember when I brought the 1Dx II more than two years ago and a lot of people were saying when the Sony A7s III will come, when the G5 will come, when this and when that.... 2.5 years after if you need 4k 60p and great AF the 1Dx II is probably still the best choice. It is not perfect but is a great camera.
Considering that it is a 2.5 years old model I would try to find a used one instead of buying a new one...

Pro:
4k60p with great quality
Super video AF
Solid codec 4:2:2 (funny that everybody is saying that the EOS R has fixed the codec but the ALL-I at 480Mbits is 4:2:0, I take the 1Dx II at 500Mbits 4:2:2, the addition of the 120mbits h264 is anyway welcome on the R)
Very good rolling shutter
4k120p with AF (quality ok, not great)
Super sports/actions camera for photo
Very quick camera to operate

Cons:
No C-Log
Expensive
CFcard for 4k60 are expensive but got cheaper lately
Big and heavy
No Zebra
Fix LCD

If you do only video I think the C200 is a better buy but if you want a camera that does it all the 1Dx II is a solid choice (assuming that 4k60p and great video AF are key requirements)

I had the 1dxII after owning the 1dC and multiple 1dx's.  For me it' didn't have the mojo of the 1DC or C100 Mark II if I'm completely honest.  Hated working with those huge files, no EVF, 1080p120 was very, very soft.

Great sports camera but I didn't love it for the money.  But I'm a hobbyist.

On 9/23/2018 at 8:50 PM, gt3rs said:

If you do only video I think the C200 is a better buy but if you want a camera that does it all the 1Dx II is a solid choice (assuming that 4k60p and great video AF are key requirements)

The battery life and weather-sealing can be added in as well. I think one of the biggest pros is overlooked (not just to this one), that it is a Canon EF-mount camera with these features. The lenses can cost a lot, lot less, the newest ones really aren't necessary for 20 megapixels (and the edges even get cropped out in 4k).

We start to see other mirrorless cameras with good AF systems but it looks like if most the lenses weren't designed with video AF in mind, breathing and pulsating too much. Oh, and there is physical manual focus on most of the EF lenses as well, which I think is a big thing.

It is kind of frustrating that Canon has this great overall system all laid out, and because of that, they can get away with so many things.

Thanks for all the replies! 

I've done some thinking and it's definitely a camera ill be getting, im just in love with my A7III at the moment, yes there a better things just around the corner but i need the 1DX2 preferably before next weekend, it's size doesn't bother me at all. I appreciate everyones comments but im confident that ill love every moment with this camera.

On 9/23/2018 at 5:10 PM, Django said:

kinda surprised nobody has mentioned the elephant in the room: 1DX2 hasn't got C-Log. or peaking. or 10-bit. For $6K i find that hard to overcome. We're almost talking C200 price range..

You can get it for a lot less though, the cheapest EU price is 3800 Euros versus 6800 Euros for the C200, that's actually a massive difference.