New anamorphic lens under development at Samyang

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators
1 hour ago, DBounce said:

There's already a post discussing this topic...

You want to audition as a mod or something?

At least get it right.

The Atlas lens is a completely different thing https://learn.sharegrid.com/sharegrid-lens-test-atlas-lens-co-orion-series-anamorphic

1 hour ago, webrunner5 said:

Doesn't look like the same Atlas lens you were talking about to me?? This is made by Samyang Optics Co.

At NAB I was checking out the Atlas Lens Co lenses... which cost $8k-$9k. While that’s pretty affordable when compared to other anamorphic primes, they are nonetheless priced beyond the reach of most would be filmmakers budgets. Whilst at the booth I ran into someone who was also considering picking up a set of the Atlas primes. We had a conversation during the coarse of which he advised holding off from buying the Atlas Lenses, as he had it on good authority that new players were entering the market and that 2018 is slated to be the year that anamorphics become affordable.

34 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

At least get it right.

The Atlas lens is a completely different thing https://learn.sharegrid.com/sharegrid-lens-test-atlas-lens-co-orion-series-anamorphic

Atlas lens was not the “new” manufacturers I was talking about.

34 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

At least get it right.

That video was about Atlas lens, but Altas Lens was not the “new” manufacturers I was talking about in the video when I said, “you may want to hold off from buying the Atlas Orions for now as more manufacturers are entering the anamorphic market and 2018 is slated to be the year anamorphics get affordable”.

1.56 into the video...

• 2 weeks later...

When can we expect any news? I am so exited!

Im guessing this will be the end of the steep prices of the anamorphic adapters as well if these perform as well. As the complete cost of an anamorphic adapter adds up fast (hardcore dna, redstan clamps, kowa bell and howell, taking lens) + is clunky and hard to use (aligning it, afraid it will drop, not easy to transport,...)

I can't wait to get my hands of one of these Samyang anamorphic lenses :) I might do even some weddings shoots(which I hate) just to get the money fast to buy one of these.  

5 minutes ago, jonpais said:

Without even knowing anything about the cost, the build quality, the handling or the optical quality, I couldn’t begin to make a statement like that about any lens by any manufacturer. 

Yeah maybe I am a bit too exited, and it could be a dud like the slr magic anamorphics.