Jump to content
DirectorCH

Good vintage taking lens ideas between 58mm-85mm

Recommended Posts

As everyone knows the main recommendations for taking lenses for an anamorphic adaptor setup are generally the Helios 44-2 (58mm) and the Jupiter 9 (85mm) 

Since some anamorphic setups offer no vignetting between those two focal lengths I was wondering if anyone had suggestions for taking lenses that would fit between 58mm and 85mm that would be suitable to use for an anamorphic setup. Are there any good 65mm 70mm or more obscure focal lengths anyone has come across?

In my search I found a possible vintage winner that is just a little wider then the typical 85mm: Carl Zeiss Jena Biometar 80mm f/2.8

Post suggestions below!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I LOVE my declicked Minolta Rokkor PG 58/1.2 EOS mount - Metabones 0.64XL Speedbooster - Bell & Howell Kowa 2X combo!
I use the great Rapido anamorphic lens clamp V2.
I have also used a Porst 55/1.2 in Pentax K mount.

I would love to try a Leica R Summilux 80/1.4

Always wanted one...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice input guys. @[email protected] the Biometar looks really nice, its good to know it plays well with anamorphic.

I wonder if there are any obscure focal lengths below 80mm in the high 60's to 70mm range. I remember reading somewhere that there was some nikkor that was 67mm or something like that. I can't remember where I read about it, and I can't find any more information about it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

biometar is nice but sharpness isn't top notch! lenses with small front element diameter are best for anamorphic use. its the reason everybody use helios 44s , j9 , etc. etc.                                                                                                                                               

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, DirectorCH said:

As everyone knows the main recommendations for taking lenses for an anamorphic adaptor setup are generally the Helios 44-2 (58mm) and the Jupiter 9 (85mm) 

Since some anamorphic setups offer no vignetting between those two focal lengths I was wondering if anyone had suggestions for taking lenses that would fit between 58mm and 85mm that would be suitable to use for an anamorphic setup. Are there any good 65mm 70mm or more obscure focal lengths anyone has come across?

In my search I found a possible vintage winner that is just a little wider then the typical 85mm: Carl Zeiss Jena Biometar 80mm f/2.8

Post suggestions below!

I have experience with this lens used as taking lens: Tokina RMC 28-85 f4.0 zoom.

Good things:

  • don’t extend when focal lenght is changed (internal focus mechanism)
  • same aperture all the way
  • price

Bad things:

  • heavy and big
  • very low on contrast and soft wide open (might be good thing, my reason to buy this lens was exactly this)

I don’t know how many versions of this lens are around and how much those differs from each other. My version is with Canon FD mount.

Here is short testclip that I shot entirely with this lens combined with Kowa 8Z:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Teemu Fantastic stuff man! Usually zooms are out of question for ana setups, but its nice to know you are using one successfully, and able to utilize some of those in-between focal lengths.

I think if people keep adding their thoughts and suggestions this could be a beneficial thread for people that are looking beyond the standard suggestions.

6 hours ago, [email protected] said:

Here you can find a lot: http://lens-club.ru/lenses/c_1427282.html

It is all in Russian, but google translate can be helpful. It is a huge data-base of all lenses you could imagine. 

This is fantastic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, DirectorCH said:

@Teemu Fantastic stuff man! Usually zooms are out of question for ana setups, but its nice to know you are using one successfully, and able to utilize some of those in-between focal lengths.

I think if people keep adding their thoughts and suggestions this could be a beneficial thread for people that are looking beyond the standard suggestions.

This is fantastic.

Thanks. I totally agree that usually zooms are out of question. But this setup totally works in it’s own way. I would like to find a lens that gives me possibility to do those crazy ”italo zooms” or ”western zooms” or what ever you like to call it. But only one I know for this suff is Lomo Foton zoom with anamorphic front. But that comes with a big PRICE tag (as all quality anamorphic zooms).

 

Also one lens that I like to use as taking lens in wider end is this great Russian 50mm macro lens. Volna-9. Even without anamorphic must be one of my favorite lenses. Crazy flares, star bokeh at f5.6 - f8 and great macro. Not so much talk about lens also in my opinnion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Teemu said:

Thanks. I totally agree that usually zooms are out of question. But this setup totally works in it’s own way. I would like to find a lens that gives me possibility to do those crazy ”italo zooms” or ”western zooms” or what ever you like to call it. But only one I know for this suff is Lomo Foton zoom with anamorphic front. But that comes with a big PRICE tag (as all quality anamorphic zooms).

 

Also one lens that I like to use as taking lens in wider end is this great Russian 50mm macro lens. Volna-9. Even without anamorphic must be one of my favorite lenses. Crazy flares, star bokeh at f5.6 - f8 and great macro. Not so much talk about lens also in my opinnion.

Yeah you would need a cinema zoom, or at least a long zoom that is parafocal, and very few cheaper stills lenses are. But it seems like the RMC might be parafocal.

Has the 72mm front thread of the RMC given you issues? Ana clamps are usually 52mm, and large front taking lenses are usually recommended against for anamorphic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, DirectorCH said:

Yeah you would need a cinema zoom, or at least a long zoom that is parafocal, and very few cheaper stills lenses are. But it seems like the RMC might be parafocal.

Has the 72mm front thread of the RMC given you issues? Ana clamps are usually 52mm, and large front taking lenses are usually recommended against for anamorphic.

Well actually with my setup the 72mm works really well with my modified FM Lens (Focus Module). It has 72mm rear threads.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Teemu said:

Well actually with my setup the 72mm works really well with my modified FM Lens (Focus Module). It has 72mm rear threads.

That won't be my setup but I guess it doesn't really matter, because if I use a step-down ring its all the same, it really has to do with the optics, and the back of the anamorphic anyway. At least thats how I understand it. So if it works for you, then it should be ok for me even if I use a clamp and do a HCDNA on the front.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Ian Edward Weir said:

If you like zooms with anamorphic's you might like this :)

 

Really cool! Can you also make really fast zoom changes with that setup? This is something I would like to try out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cosmicar 75mm c-mount lens with the Isco Ultra Star.

It's really hard to find a combination to be 100% vignette free with this setup. I thought about modifying my Ultra Star to make it vignette free just for this lens. Need to modify the lens aperture disc first, though.

I absolutely love the look. Need to shoot with it more and add the Rapido FVD-16A.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, whoisjsd said:

Cosmicar 75mm c-mount lens with the Isco Ultra Star.

It's really hard to find a combination to be 100% vignette free with this setup. I thought about modifying my Ultra Star to make it vignette free just for this lens. Need to modify the lens aperture disc first, though.

I absolutely love the look. Need to shoot with it more and add the Rapido FVD-16A.

How are you going to modify it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...