10bit vs 8bit HDR (HLG) Shootout Video

markr041

I have read the davinci manual (only for studio version)

so it says you can send metadata over HDMI to an HDR-aware video display through HDMI 2.0A

but this is not what you are doing you are connecting through the SDI port which is interesting but I rather use my tv than a 7” screen 

Mmm

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

OK I finally got what jonpais meant

Basically there is no way to output a proper HDR signal without a device from a Mac as the graphic adapter is not capable of HDR output

At that point you are in the territory of thunderbolt 3 connections (as the others don't have enough bandwidth to support the signal) here you can either spend top dollar and then use HDMI or try to output to SDI using a device that has the port like the Shogun Inferno as a monitor. This looks like the most affordable option especially if you bought the inferno as recorder

28 minutes ago, interceptor121 said:

Thanks Jon

All in all am happy then as I can re-use my 2011 iMac with FCPX

It won’t run DaVinci 15 but it will run DaVinci 14 as I have only 1GB vram

Do you know if Da Vinci 14 is capable of the same or am I limited to FCPX?

It will work with both NLEs.

43 minutes ago, interceptor121 said:

Any idea if this set up works with the sumo 19m monitor?

I don’t see myself using a recorder and rather have more screen

I’m pretty sure it will. I’d double check with Mystery Box just to be on the safe side.

5 hours ago, jonpais said:

Same here, even though they and practically everyone else on the planet seem to prefer V-Log. 

I wrote Atoms in any case I can rent a Sumo 19M and test it before buying anything

HLG does not have metadata so in theory this could work

How do you know if your Shogun is playing HLG when connected like this?

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/13/2018 at 8:14 PM, interceptor121 said:

@jonpais Samuel at mystery box has confirmed the Sumo 19M works great through SDI with the black magic ultra studio mini monitor

So this is the way forward for me

After careful consideration I am dropping the idea of using those devices for editing 

if you look carefully thought the peak brightness of the atomos is high the contrast ratio is still 1000:1 therefore the screen has 10’stops dynamic range which is not sensational. The monitors also take Bt2020 but only display rec709. In conclusion it is better to use a screen with DCI-P3 colors and the same or better contrast ratio

philips has released a new monitor with contrast ratio 4000:1 and peak 1000 nits that costs less than the atomos and supports HDR10 on windows and is certifies UHDA

Not working with mac though.:. 

10 hours ago, interceptor121 said:

philips has released a new monitor with contrast ratio 4000:1 and peak 1000 nits that costs less than the atomos and supports HDR10 on windows and is certifies UHDA

Not working with mac though.:. 

It's a 43" Monitor!! Only one I can find?? Link please.

5 hours ago, Emanuel said:

Might be a little big on top of my A7s! ?

But that ought to make one heck of a gaming monitor if the refresh rate is quick. ah, is 60 Hz.  (GTG) response time will be the biggie though. 4ms pretty damn good. Not 1ms but not bad. 1000 bucks, not on my short list but, it is doable. I will have to go down to Best Buy and check one out. I don't own a 4K anything monitor, TV wise, other than my iPhone screen. Well hell even my iPhone X is not 4K screen wise. Dog Shit. ?

Link to the technical specifications 

https://www.philips.co.uk/c-p/436M6VBPAB_00/momentum-4k-hdr-display-with-ambiglow/specifications

this is not a grading monitor per se and sells at less than £1,000

The primary issue is the lacknof an SDI input and the fact that the displayport is only 1.2 therefore HDR comes from HDMI 2.0 or USB-C DP alt mode. The latter may be interesting if it gives displayport 1.4 but am not sure

If you have a windows computer running HDMI out of graphic card this may be very interesting

for mac users need to understand if a thunderbolt 3 to HDMI cable can carry HDR and what is supported 

Update for mac users

HDR requires displayport 1.4 and the 2016 or 2017 macs have only 1.3 support through thunderbolt alpine ridge. Intel has released the new titan ridge in January that supports 1.4 when this gets incorporated the new macs will have HDR through thunderbolt 

so not the right time to rush into new purchases!

2 hours ago, interceptor121 said:

Update for mac users

HDR requires displayport 1.4 and the 2016 or 2017 macs have only 1.3 support through thunderbolt alpine ridge. Intel has released the new titan ridge in January that supports 1.4 when this gets incorporated the new macs will have HDR through thunderbolt 

so not the right time to rush into new purchases!

Yeah next year when all the monitors/TVs start having adaptive sync and better HDR it will be a good time to upgrade. 

Don't know where monitors will go from there. 8K? No one would be able to see the difference. Glassless 3D? Less 3D content is being produced now.