10bit vs 8bit HDR (HLG) Shootout Video

markr041

5 hours ago, Geoff CB said:

Yeah next year when all the monitors/TVs start having adaptive sync and better HDR it will be a good time to upgrade. 

Don't know where monitors will go from there. 8K? No one would be able to see the difference. Glassless 3D? Less 3D content is being produced now.

As far as I can see this is going to be more a bus issue. There are now standards for HDR monitors and Tv however the graphic adapters are limited to windows and HDR-10 on HDMI currently 

For mac you do need the new thunderbolt bus chips or there won’t be any option for HDR without an external converter that has displayport 1.4

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I found some interesting information on AMD website 

https://www.amd.com/Documents/polaris-whitepaper.pdf

In essence Apple computers based on radeon pro technology (macbook pro and iMac) have a GPU capable of HDR (PQ transfer function not HLG) however they lack a port to connect to an HDR display as mentioned in the previous post (needs Intel JHL7x40 thunderbolt IO chip that costs $10)

In addition iMac display have 540 nits brightness and 1200:1 contrast ratio so can support 10 stops dynamic range.

If apple upgrades the controller it should be possible to connect directly a displayport 1.4 device and grade HDR PQ content

Still unclear about HLG from the graphic card point of view and also from IO point of view the graphic card would support HDMI 2.0b...??

On 6/27/2018 at 12:57 PM, Geoff CB said:

Glassless 3D? Less 3D content is being produced now.

Well I think if they can do what Maybe Red is doing to not Have to have glasses on it might get traction again. I for one am not going to sit for hours with goofy glasses on to see anything.

The same can be said for strapping a iPhone to your face and looking like a Dork, head in the air, saying WoW Man for 3 minutes doing VFX. Ain't happening.

So Glassless 3D may make a comeback. I did enjoy it when I was a kid running out to the Lobby to supposedly go Pee LoL. Scary stuff at times.

• 3 weeks later...