8k recording and storage issues solved?

Damphousse

Samsung has unveiled the world’s largest solid state drive — an unassuming-looking bit of kit that boasts a whopping 30.72 terabytes of storage. It’s the most storage ever crammed into the 2.5-inch form factor, and is designed for enterprise customers looking to move away from the mechanical parts of your standard disk-based hard drive.

The new Serial Attached SCSI (SAS) drive offers impressive sequential read and write speeds of up to 2,100MB/s and 1,700 MB/s. That’s about three times as fast as the average SATA SSD you’d find in a consumer desktop or laptop, like Samsung’s own SSD 850 EVO. And the drive is robust too, with Samsung offering a five-year warranty that’s good for one full drive write per day.

Damn!  That warranty though...

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2018/2/20/17031256/worlds-largest-ssd-drive-samsung-30-terabyte-pm1643

Get comfortable with 8k kids.  It's coming!  Every excuse that comes up keeps getting eliminated.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, Damphousse said:

Damn!  That warranty though...

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2018/2/20/17031256/worlds-largest-ssd-drive-samsung-30-terabyte-pm1643

Get comfortable with 8k kids.  It's coming!  Every excuse that comes up keeps getting eliminated.

don't worry guy,on 8K ages we will see SSD(or advance flash mem) inside around 120GB.

it had much transfer from image sensor to memory (2000GB or above) ,i will show diagram.

-> read from SS -> store to SSD -> process raw / HEVC(processor encoding) -->

-> write to ultra fast sd-card(8/10 bit or raw) -->delete from store(because SSD capacities limit) --> repeat read from SS

Why SSD? althought camera-buffer faster than ssd but it has low capacities.

Why read SS to store? because we need full bitrate possible, -> read from SS ->> to buffer and incamera-process ->> store to UHS = low color profile.

-> read from SS -> store to SSD -> process raw / HEVC(processor encoding) --> = high color profile (8/10/12 bit or you need raw)

How? add in-camera IO management like CPU + chipset.

sorry my comment hard to read,

:confounded:

i think memory & I/O controller in camera look bad when compare to PC/SmartPhone.

i want camera manufacturer develop new chip.

We will see a lot of advances. Samsung has a lot of innovation to offer the next couple of years, especially in data storage and data transfer (one of the most profitable Samsung sub divisions, especially now that Apple canceled half of their OLED screens they had in order!).

HEVC (or similar) is very important too. I was watching some 20min, 1080p videos in HEVC, and for 200-400MB the quality is amazing. More efficient codecs will do too, it is not only about raw data.

Just now, User said:

I start to love Samung.

Apple became the thing they themselves despised.

Samsung is really much into profit, through innovation. Apple is really much into profit, through fashion. I believe in Form follows function, so I will take the real innovators anytime. Now Apple follows the trends (people were waiting a full 2-3 years for HEVC implementation, while my cheap Samsung TVs play H265 files like butter, and 2-3 full years to get a 5.5" phone, etc etc).

37 minutes ago, no_connection said:

They promised us cheap ssd storage two years ago, that never came. So I highly doubt this will trickle down at affordable prices any time soon.

It is interesting development tho, and hopefully earn them enough money to make more normal ssd drives more affordable.

500GB EVO 850 I bought in Christmas for 149euros on a brick and mortar shop. Do you want to keep your piratebay movies collection on SSD? I wouldn't think so. A couple of 500GB and 1 250GB for the operating system and programs are good enough for most projects, and if you do bigger ones, you wouldn't mind spending more than 149euros for your hard drives.

They said cheap, not free.

Also, check Samsung T5, and tell me if isn't the future here!

Spring 2016 was going to be the launch for cheap ssd storage with the new technology, but that never happened, price really have not come down much since then. Sure the high capacity drives have become somewhat cheaper since they don't fetch quite the same premium as they did then but not much changed in the sub 1TB category.

The EVO 850 for example costs as much or more now than two years ago.

3 hours ago, no_connection said:

Spring 2016 was going to be the launch for cheap ssd storage with the new technology, but that never happened, price really have not come down much since then. Sure the high capacity drives have become somewhat cheaper since they don't fetch quite the same premium as they did then but not much changed in the sub 1TB category.

The EVO 850 for example costs as much or more now than two years ago.

In North America, prices have massively dropped all the while sizes and speeds have increased. M.2 SSD is cheaper than SATA SSD and almost 4x the speed.

We even have crazy fast nvme drives that can do over 1 gigabyte a second transfers reaching affordable prices.