Sony A6500, Panasonic G85 or Fujifilm XT-20?

Givememypips

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
8 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

You need to move to the united States.

Yes, I know, filmmaking would be much cheaper if I was in the USA :-( 

You are nearly  thousand dollars higher than I can get just about anything you mentioned on most all those cameras.

But I don't think I'm as far off as you think? 

I have found 3 1DC's for 2000

Except perhaps for the 1D C.... as I went on sold eBay listings, the cheapest for a 1D C is over US3K. 

So if they do exist for $2K... they don't come up often, or these are listings in places a bit more obscure than eBay. (such as Craigslists, but then you need to be local to pick up the camera usually?)

I can buy Canon mk 1's with DPAF all day for 1750.

You originally said C100mk2, which is different.

And I said C100mk1 are easy to find under $2K (I even shared the B&H sale where the C100mk1 was selling *new* for even less than $1750!)

BM mini's 2500 all day etc. etc.

But these are the 4K sensor? Or/and without the software. (although less of an issue now they've dropped the price)

And I excluded the 4K sensor in my comment, as that wasn't BMD's greatest work (which is why you can find them so cheap!). 

57 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

Yes, I know, filmmaking would be much cheaper if I was in the USA :-( 

But I don't think I'm as far off as you think? 

Except perhaps for the 1D C.... as I went on sold eBay listings, the cheapest for a 1D C is over US3K. 

So if they do exist for $2K... they don't come up often, or these are listings in places a bit more obscure than eBay. (such as Craigslists, but then you need to be local to pick up the camera usually?)

You originally said C100mk2, which is different.

And I said C100mk1 are easy to find under $2K (I even shared the B&H sale where the C100mk1 was selling *new* for even less than $1750!)

But these are the 4K sensor? Or/and without the software. (although less of an issue now they've dropped the price)

And I excluded the 4K sensor in my comment, as that wasn't BMD's greatest work (which is why you can find them so cheap!). 

You are not going to find great deals everyday but if you look they come up. I am telling you at times people damn near give stuff away in the US. And I can fly just about anyplace round trip in the US for 200 dollars or less with no baggage. So even if they want to meet in person well I can be there in 5, 6 hours.

Here is a Canon C100 mkII for 2200 bucks. Crazy good deal.

https://newyork.craigslist.org/lgi/pho/d/mint-condition-canon-c100/6441612911.html

Here is a 1DC for 2500. They are here to be had cheap in the US.

https://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/pho/d/canon-cinema-eos-1d-181-mp-4k/6438148676.html

Ha! Yeah on TradeMe (NZ's "eBay") prices seem to be inflated. 

But on eBay itself, seems prices are quite commonly around $200 or under for a GH2. 

And sub $200? Yeah that counts as "almost free" to me, is why I went for the E1! When I really shouldn't have. 

On 1/1/2018 at 5:31 AM, kidzrevil said:

Wrong. @scotchtape do you own any of these cameras because the a6500 definitely does not overheat unless you are shooting in a furnance.

anyway @Givememypips the g85 has been the best overall camera for my usage and I own an a6500 as well. Both are good but the g85 is more reliable across the board

On 1/1/2018 at 8:36 PM, IronFilm said:

Do you lean more towards stills or video?

If video: then get a Panasonic G85 (still a very capable stills camera)

If stills (also by far the cheapest option, spend the spare cash then on also getting the ultra portable Sony RX100 pocket camera): then stick with Nikon and get a D7100 (much improved video over the D7000, read what Andrew Reid as said about the D5200. It applies to the D7100 sensor too). Or get the newer D500 or D7500 if you really want that 4K life.

On 1/1/2018 at 11:01 PM, kidzrevil said:

I shot some stuff with the g85 and the Lumix 12mm f1.4 last week just thought I’d share. The first one is SOOC and the other is with the Impulz lut’s. sidenote im over grading with LUTS but I posted the two versions to show how the camera handles traditional workflows

On 1/1/2018 at 1:13 PM, maxotics said:

Depends on where you're traveling to.  The Sony cameras are not as robust as Nikons.  If you shoot outside in good light the MFT cameras are great.  Less than ideal light and you might get frustrated, coming from APS-C.  It doesn't sound like it's a sure thing you'll shoot much video.  I can tell you for 7 years I go everywhere planning to shoot video, yet do it rarely.  If that's a possibility for you I'd get a Nikon D750 or D7500.  Keep in mind I have a Sony A6000,A6300, A7, A7R!  I haven't shot video since the D600, which was atrocious, but people here say the new Nikon's video is good stuff.   Again, bottom line, if you're POSITIVE you'll shoot a lot of video, consider a change.  If you really need to go small, I agree with @scotchtape just get an RX100 (doesn't have to be the latest).  For photography, stick with Nikon.

On 1/1/2018 at 11:00 AM, Cinegain said:

Tbh, I wouldn't get into the Sony APS-C system either. A bit russian roulette regarding overheating, because some people don't seem to run into it almost at all and others have it constantly. Of course, you now have the tripod mode, where you're raising the threshold where overheat protection kicks in, but rendering it so hot, that you can't comfortably hold it in your hands, hence: tripod mode. Of course it greatly has to do with them deciding to keep the body so damn small, which makes no sense as they've neglected a dedicated APS-C lens line-up for the last several years now, so it's more like an APS-C limited FF entry level to get you warmed up for an A7 or A9 body, already having the FF covering lenses. In the end, the lenses are what makes a system compact, so releasing new cameras that are very compact, but failing to embrace very compact lenses to me is the wrong strategy. Then there's just ergonomics 'n stuff. No frontfacing screen, touchscreen is a rather limited implementation, there's no dual cardslot, no dedicated headphone port, battery life is not that great. Then there's the footage... lots of potential on a purely sensor/pixel performance level, but that rolling shutter... and default profile colors you definitely need to mess about with because else you're getting zombie skintones and color channel clipping. All in all, I just can't be bothered with them unless they change up their approach in this APS-C segment (bigger body... better heat disspation, more features/better interface, new exciting compact lenses native to APS-C). Like, if Sony could give me a Panasonic GH5 or Olympus E-M1 Mark II with APS-C sensor... and a exciting compact lens line up to go with that, I'd be all about that. But... no joy. Maybe 2018?

In the APS-C realm, I actually consider Fujifilm to make the most sense now... and they're still quite traditional, have still a bit to go. Atleast they're nice to use. Now they just need a body with sensor stabilization, a frontfacing touchscreen and a dedicated headphone port on the body.

My money's still in the MFT basket. You just can't beat the compact factor and value you're getting. It just means you can't be relying on super smooth C-AF and you need to really think about your shots as lowlight and dynamic range challenges you. But, that's all stuff that you can actually make work. Except for the DR, this is as close as you'll get to shooting with an actual cinema camera. With a BMD, RED, ARRI etc, you're not relying on lowlight and C-AF either. So it also kind of depends what kind of shooter you are of course. Of course the GH5 packs a punch, but I'd consider the Lumix G9 as well if you're into a lot of viewfinder work and stills (I guess that's what the Nikon was used for partly as well). Shorter clips only, but still impressive. Supposedly the processing is quite nice and gets raving reviews. Both the GH5 and G9 are quite sizeable bodies though, mind you, so with going compact, it isn't so much about the bodies, but the lens advantage there.

But I always say: a camera wouldn't get made, if they didn't think anyone would buy it. And everyone has different needs/wants/budgets, so really it's up to you to figure out. If you have friends or a rental place, see if you can get your hands on 'em. Or just at the camera store alone. That will probably tell you more than comparing specs on paper.

Thanks a lot for your replies! @kidzrevil the videos look amazing. I love the colors. I think I will be going with Panasonic. Out of all options it seems to have the color science I am looking for. I am new to filmmaking but the look I want to achieve is something along the lines of Alexa's color profile. I know that for something that cost 40x times or more it would be hard to get something like that. If you were to pick out of the sensor with best color science, which one would you pick? Thanks again.

Marcos

Fuji always has nice color, just, they've never really been into video that much and have only realized highlighting that now as well, so they're a little behind. No sensor stabilization either, whilst the others have implemented that already. Sony usually needs the most tweaking in-camera and in post regarding color and otherwise has those mentioned issues. Panasonic has come quite the way over the years. After the GH4 we've seen the G7 and others that were actually very pleasing, the G9 gets lots of love in the first reviews, but the GH5 is sorta around that level, has better high-end vid features. Would definitely wait for this GH5S announcement tomorrow, though, could be a cinematic beast!

6 hours ago, Givememypips said:

Thanks a lot for your replies! @kidzrevil the videos look amazing. I love the colors. I think I will be going with Panasonic. Out of all options it seems to have the color science I am looking for. I am new to filmmaking but the look I want to achieve is something along the lines of Alexa's color profile. I know that for something that cost 40x times or more it would be hard to get something like that. If you were to pick out of the sensor with best color science, which one would you pick? Thanks again.

I'd go for Panasonic, or even better Blackmagic Design. Nikon might maybe even get a longshot chance at a look in. 

But I'd highly recommend you also get yourself well versed with color grading, especially when such amazing tools as DaVinci Resolve are FREE!