Why are modern TV's defaulted to horrible settings out the box?

Oliver Daniel

Yeah the LG's are getting better factory calibrations.  I still had to turn down the brightness on my B6, as well turn the color from vibrant (or whatever it's called) to neutral.  And turn off TruMotion, aka 120Hz soap opera effect.  But yeah, better than some mfrs and better than years ago.  The firmware just got updated on my B6 recently but still no Hybrid Log Gamma support (at least not on YouTube on PS4).

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Calibrated displays all look the same. They should. But TV makers want to differentiate their latest offerings, they want to prove the image they produce is livlier, more eye catching than competition's image. 

They should put all these "competitive" enhancements in Dynamic/Gaming/Sport profile, so when you go Standard all of them become disabled. Their current Standard means "not standard at all". 

I’m still not understanding... it takes only a few minutes to adjust the color to your liking, so what difference does it all make in the end? No two people have the same taste or viewing conditions, so they’d have to calibrate the tv anyhow. Seems like much ado about nothing...

1 hour ago, jonpais said:

I’m still not understanding... it takes only a few minutes to adjust the color to your liking, so what difference does it all make in the end? No two people have the same taste or viewing conditions, so they’d have to calibrate the tv anyhow. Seems like much ado about nothing...

Because it's not supposed to be "to your liking", it's supposed to be as specified. There's a reason we have things like Rec709, etc. The TV should come with those set, then people can bend them to their liking (frame interpolation, contrast on max, etc.).
I wonder how people feel who professionally color grade stuff for cinema when they see it played on consumer TV sets. People here hate on Sony because the colors aren't perfect and then think it's perfectly fine that TVs/computer monitors/mobile phones show everything completely distorted anyway?

I'm still stuck with my 2008 Panasonic plasma TV that I setup as good as I could while using a display probe (incl. output LUT in Davinci Resolve, etc.). The picture is great and it tremendously decreases my pleasure of watching movies at my friend/family's places.

On 2017-09-15 at 10:56 PM, Damphousse said:

...show off features on a bright show room floor next to other TV

True. 
Although I've never gone to an electronics store and seen a "real nice picture" on a TV.

Oh, well I think I did once, but I suspect Philip Bloom had been there and already turned off all the extra bells and whistles.

IMG_2254-670x502.jpeg
IMG_2273-670x502.jpeg
IMG_2256-670x502.jpeg

Thank you Philip!

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/5/2017 at 4:55 PM, Phil A said:

Because it's not supposed to be "to your liking", it's supposed to be as specified. There's a reason we have things like Rec709, etc. The TV should come with those set, then people can bend them to their liking (frame interpolation, contrast on max, etc.).
I wonder how people feel who professionally color grade stuff for cinema when they see it played on consumer TV sets. People here hate on Sony because the colors aren't perfect and then think it's perfectly fine that TVs/computer monitors/mobile phones show everything completely distorted anyway?

I'm still stuck with my 2008 Panasonic plasma TV that I setup as good as I could while using a display probe (incl. output LUT in Davinci Resolve, etc.). The picture is great and it tremendously decreases my pleasure of watching movies at my friend/family's places.

What happens when you offer to calibrate your friends’ sets, or does that conversation never take place? As far as professional colorists go, I’m quite certain they don’t lose any sleep over the fact that 99.9% of people don’t tinker with their sets’ white balance. In most cases, this would require adjustment every couple weeks and for viewing during the day as well as in the evening. Most people also don’t have neutral walls and furnishings or watch under balanced lighting. My own apartment has walls the color of cat vomit and blue tinted windows. ?