Adobe breaks GH5 10bit import for PC - Solution Inside!

Orangenz

8 hours ago, Jn- said:

Hi OrangeNZ, GJeffrey has updated the Bmx tools in his utility.

https://www.vegascreativesoftware.info/us/forum/gh5-4k-24-30p-problem--105152/#ca659398

I have also updated the zip file with newer tools.

Ugh, if he just used a consistent dropbox link it wouldn't matter how many times he updated. Jeepers.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
8 minutes ago, Jn- said:

Well you know the old saying ... don't bite the hand that feeds you?

Aha, good point. 

Instruction PDF now from dropbox so it should always be up to date. Also links to a dropbox zip file for GJeffrey's files (on my dropbox) so will also be kept up to date. https://www.dropbox.com/s/nt2uqr5pp9xi1st/GH5 10 bit fix.pdf?dl=0 

Question: would this process work if the two exe files were just placed straight into c:\\ instead of the new ffmpeg folder? ie. making the new folder call is a bit complicated for some  <=

24 minutes ago, Jn- said:

Check the Path on your system, if it's got C:\ then yes, but why bother?  If you just add X:\ffmpeg\bin to the path then your done and dusted because the ffmpeg and ffprobe both reside there in the "binary" folder.  If I download a more recent ffmpeg static build I put it in the very same location so the Path picks it up.

I first rename the old ffmpeg to X:\ffmpeg old

Thats in case theres an issue with the newer one so I can go back, but, do whatever works for you Orangenz?

I'm thinking there's a lot of people in the world who really don't need to be playing with such things. When I was going through the instructions I got the impression it was to /ffmpeg and you had to move the ffmpeg exe there. As you describe it makes more sense but I'm still trying to think of a way to make it easier for others. 

Just got the camera, and found there is a little wrinkle in the workflow. The MXFs are being marked with a .9375 pixel aspect ratio in the re-wrapping of C4K files (4096x2160); this results in a slightly squeezed frame, into a 16:9 ratio. It should be a 1.896 ratio (1.0 pixel aspect ratio), and at the moment I am correcting it with 'interpret footage' in Premiere at the outset.

8 hours ago, Sage said:

Just got the camera, and found there is a little wrinkle in the workflow. The MXFs are being marked with a .9375 pixel aspect ratio in the re-wrapping of C4K files (4096x2160); this results in a slightly squeezed frame, into a 16:9 ratio. It should be a 1.896 ratio (1.0 pixel aspect ratio), and at the moment I am correcting it with 'interpret footage' in Premiere at the outset.

I'm getting 1.0 pixel ratio, PC.

• 2 weeks later...
50 minutes ago, Rinad Amir said:

hey everyone have adobe commented on this issues? are gona get fix ?

Edit: got sick of transcoding so just rolledback to prev version €19.99 a month for what? ffs (ranting)

Yes they have commented, yes they are working on something. This thread is mostly about rewrapping, not transcoding. 

9 hours ago, tihon84 said:

I just import mxf and mo4 files un AE and compare. Noticeble contrast in mxf and shift to yallow

To keep things out of the subjective realm it would be good to take a 2 second clip of a color chart, then screen shot the various wave form monitors for the files as they appear in your editor. 

1 hour ago, Orangenz said:

Yes they have commented, yes they are working on something. This thread is mostly about rewrapping, not transcoding. 

To keep things out of the subjective realm it would be good to take a 2 second clip of a color chart, then screen shot the various wave form monitors for the files as they appear in your editor. 

your absolutely right @Orangenz apologys , i just got so frustrated with adobe products lately  

12 hours ago, tihon84 said:

I just import mxf and mo4 files un AE and compare. Noticeble contrast in mxf and shift to yallow

This is how I figured out it was a luminance issue.  When I tested the re-wrap, I tested on a working 8-bit file. I stacked the mp4 above the mxf file in Premier pro and when I hid the mp4 file it was obvious that 1) The frames didn't match up and 2) the contrast was different.. as if Premier pro was reading the wrong luminance level. So then I did 3 more mp4 files at different luminance settings and the limited range ones looked fine, even sometimes matching the frame perfectly. Then I tried it in 10-bit and found the 10-bit files work without having to re-wrap as long as luminance was not set to full range (0-1023).  So, I just decided to wait it out for Adobe and just shoot in limited luminance for now. They stated they are working on it, and should have it out soon

6 hours ago, JustinJohnson said:

This is how I figured out it was a luminance issue.  When I tested the re-wrap, I tested on a working 8-bit file. I stacked the mp4 above the mxf file in Premier pro and when I hid the mp4 file it was obvious that 1) The frames didn't match up and 2) the contrast was different.. as if Premier pro was reading the wrong luminance level. So then I did 3 more mp4 files at different luminance settings and the limited range ones looked fine, even sometimes matching the frame perfectly. Then I tried it in 10-bit and found the 10-bit files work without having to re-wrap as long as luminance was not set to full range (0-1023).  So, I just decided to wait it out for Adobe and just shoot in limited luminance for now. They stated they are working on it, and should have it out soon

In vlog 10bit you cant change a luminance settings, so all mxf files more contrasted