Orangenz

Adobe breaks GH5 10bit import for PC - Solution Inside!

1 hour ago, Orangenz said:

As Luke said elsewhere, Adobe was given the files a long time before release. In addition, the luminance setting of vlog files is set by the camera and the compressed luminance recording is on top of the full range for consistent scale. For non-log files making this change does allow import into Premiere but I don't find this particularly useful as the rewrapped files edit considerably easier and have the corrected length. 

Yes, the rewrap approach is probably the best way to go (I don't have the camera yet)

The information above, and the little discovery by Justin is of particular interest to me as I am working on a little project involving V-log mapping at the moment

That compressed luminance recording of v-log and v-log L is even beyond the 64-940 (0-100%) IRE envelope. I.E. exposure bottom* is intended to map at 128. And that is with the 64-940 envelope

EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
42 minutes ago, Sage said:

Yes, the rewrap approach is probably the best way to go (I don't have the camera yet)

The information above, and the little discovery by Justin is of particular interest to me as I am working on a little project involving V-log mapping at the moment

That compressed luminance recording of v-log and v-log L is even beyond the 64-940 (0-100%) IRE envelope. I.E. black is intended to map at 128. And that is with the 64-940 envelope

You cannot change the luminance values in log mode. 

10 minutes ago, Orangenz said:

You cannot change the luminance values in log mode. 

Excellent, that is what I was missing. This is even more puzzling; why wouldn't it work, given the 64-940 envelope? Adobe used to be fast with this kind of thing

1 hour ago, Sage said:

Excellent, that is what I was missing. This is even more puzzling; why wouldn't it work, given the 64-940 envelope? Adobe used to be fast with this kind of thing

Log is set to full range Lum values in 8 or 10bit modes, not reduced. Considering the time they had the codecs from panasonic, I also think they should have been able to do a bit better.

9 hours ago, Orangenz said:

Log is set to full range Lum values in 8 or 10bit modes, not reduced. Considering the time they had the codecs from panasonic, I also think they should have been able to do a bit better.

That makes the most sense as to why its not working; that would mean that Panasonic has coded the GH5 file header to specify the wrong IRE placement, according to their own V-Log specs (or it is misread by Premiere, due to differing header format from Varicam). And it is a matter of file header ID, as the wrapping method's success reveals (explains the inconsistent handling of levels across NLEs)

On 26/4/2017 at 0:31 PM, Orangenz said:

Updated pdf. Although I don't know what the reference to ffprobe.exe is about. 

GH5 10 bit fix.pdf

Hi OrangeNZ, GJeffrey has updated the Bmx tools in his utility.

https://www.vegascreativesoftware.info/us/forum/gh5-4k-24-30p-problem--105152/#ca659398

I have also updated the zip file with newer tools.

8 hours ago, Jn- said:

Hi OrangeNZ, GJeffrey has updated the Bmx tools in his utility.

https://www.vegascreativesoftware.info/us/forum/gh5-4k-24-30p-problem--105152/#ca659398

I have also updated the zip file with newer tools.

Ugh, if he just used a consistent dropbox link it wouldn't matter how many times he updated. Jeepers.

13 minutes ago, Orangenz said:

Ugh, if he just used a consistent dropbox link it wouldn't matter how many times he updated. Jeepers.

Well you know the old saying ... don't bite the hand that feeds you?

8 minutes ago, Jn- said:

Well you know the old saying ... don't bite the hand that feeds you?

Aha, good point. 

Instruction PDF now from dropbox so it should always be up to date. Also links to a dropbox zip file for GJeffrey's files (on my dropbox) so will also be kept up to date. https://www.dropbox.com/s/nt2uqr5pp9xi1st/GH5 10 bit fix.pdf?dl=0 

Question: would this process work if the two exe files were just placed straight into c:\\ instead of the new ffmpeg folder? ie. making the new folder call is a bit complicated for some  <=

3 hours ago, Orangenz said:

Aha, good point. 

Instruction PDF now from dropbox so it should always be up to date. Also links to a dropbox zip file for GJeffrey's files (on my dropbox) so will also be kept up to date. https://www.dropbox.com/s/nt2uqr5pp9xi1st/GH5 10 bit fix.pdf?dl=0 

Question: would this process work if the two exe files were just placed straight into c:\\ instead of the new ffmpeg folder? ie. making the new folder call is a bit complicated for some  <=

Check the Path on your system, if it's got C:\ then yes, but why bother?  If you just add X:\ffmpeg\bin to the path then your done and dusted because the ffmpeg and ffprobe both reside there in the "binary" folder.  If I download a more recent ffmpeg static build I put it in the very same location so the Path picks it up.

I first rename the old ffmpeg to X:\ffmpeg old

Thats in case theres an issue with the newer one so I can go back, but, do whatever works for you Orangenz?

24 minutes ago, Jn- said:

Check the Path on your system, if it's got C:\ then yes, but why bother?  If you just add X:\ffmpeg\bin to the path then your done and dusted because the ffmpeg and ffprobe both reside there in the "binary" folder.  If I download a more recent ffmpeg static build I put it in the very same location so the Path picks it up.

I first rename the old ffmpeg to X:\ffmpeg old

Thats in case theres an issue with the newer one so I can go back, but, do whatever works for you Orangenz?

I'm thinking there's a lot of people in the world who really don't need to be playing with such things. When I was going through the instructions I got the impression it was to /ffmpeg and you had to move the ffmpeg exe there. As you describe it makes more sense but I'm still trying to think of a way to make it easier for others. 

Just got the camera, and found there is a little wrinkle in the workflow. The MXFs are being marked with a .9375 pixel aspect ratio in the re-wrapping of C4K files (4096x2160); this results in a slightly squeezed frame, into a 16:9 ratio. It should be a 1.896 ratio (1.0 pixel aspect ratio), and at the moment I am correcting it with 'interpret footage' in Premiere at the outset.

8 hours ago, Sage said:

Just got the camera, and found there is a little wrinkle in the workflow. The MXFs are being marked with a .9375 pixel aspect ratio in the re-wrapping of C4K files (4096x2160); this results in a slightly squeezed frame, into a 16:9 ratio. It should be a 1.896 ratio (1.0 pixel aspect ratio), and at the moment I am correcting it with 'interpret footage' in Premiere at the outset.

I'm getting 1.0 pixel ratio, PC.

On 05/05/2017 at 9:19 PM, JustinJohnson said:

I have the same issue with the re-wrap for the C4k files. Windows 10. Plus I have 3 frames off.

Have you tried a manual rewrap using ffmpeg?