Nebula 5100 stabilizer

Kisaha

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
54 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

I hope this will up the game a little bit

This has already been posted in the Zhiyun Crane thread. Unfortunately, my experience with the Nebula 4000, which has remained in my closet for a couple years now, has forever tainted my feelings towards Nebula. It remains to be seen whether it is actually self-balancing, I believe others are skeptical as well. After all, why wouldn't Nebula have made this ability a headline feature rather than burying it halfway down in their promotional literature? The video does not really clearly show us how this works in practice either. If this really was a self-balancing gimbal, you'd think the vide would be titled, The World's First Self-Balancing Single Handed Gimbal! Actually, I don't believe it's self-balancing at all, it's just got more powerful motors. Not only that, but Zhiyun is supposed to be releasing a new model very shortly that also has a higher payload capacity as well, and they are very responsive to customers, whereas I'm not so sure about Nebula. So if the only party trick is that the Nebula's got more powerful motors that make perfect balance less critical, the Zhiyun should be able to do the same.

• Super Members

Earlier in the Crane thread I hinted about a new gimbal being announced and that it could be smart to wait until we know what that was.
It was the Nebula 5100. There was some talk about me reviewing it but Im not very interested in reviewing things I haven't bought for myself.
I haven't sign any NDA or anything but still didn't want to spoil their surprise.
So, I know of no new Crane, this is the newest unreleased gimbal Im aware of in this size category :)

1 minute ago, Mattias Burling said:

Earlier in the Crane thread I hinted about a new gimbal being announced and that it could be smart to wait until we know what that was.
It was the Nebula 5100. There was some talk about me reviewing it but Im not very interested in reviewing things I haven't bought for myself.
I haven't sign any NDA or anything but still didn't want to spoil their surprise.
So, I know of no new Crane, this is the newest unreleased gimbal Im aware of in this size category :)

Oh! Misunderstood then. 

No amount of shiny adverts will cause me to part with any money until such time the vast majority of users over a period of many months are delighted both with the product and with after sales care. The 4000 was incredibly tempting when Dave Dugdale first got his hands on it, as were the Beholders when Darren Miles reviewed the MS1 and DS1. The Crane seems to be the best of the bunch but there are a sizeable minority that are vocal about various issues. Having blown a lot of money on the DS1 - which is unusable - I have returned to using an old fashioned type stabiliser (cost £35) until such time the gimbal market is ruled by reliability and accountability.

Of,course, like everything in life, competition is a good evolution exercise.

I said on that thread, that I am expecting a little bit more from them to invest in their crane series, after that post, they released the mobile phone stabilizer to compete with DJI and the likes, good move from a marketing - and profit - view, but I couldn't care less for that product, now that they have that out of the way I hope they will reply with a better and more advanced one. If no one had respond to the Crane, then why to hurry to have a better one sooner, than later?

Of, course we have to wait and see the reviews, Mattias you should re-consider, sometimes free stuff are not that bad, and we care for your opinion more than most people on the net!

@Davey I still have the Hague classic but I am not using it at all the last few year, but I haven't a digital either, a few weeks ago we used a Crane with a a6500, and we got some really great footage out of this combo, with this said, in 3 different occasions the stabilizer went nuts on us and my other friend one of these times hit the camera quite hard, yes, they are not plug and play yet, that is why we need some competition!

I still have the Hague MMC and loved it so much (despite the cheap construction) that I chose another C-shape in getting the SmoothShot. 

I knew about the bottom weight screw problem so took the one off the Hague and was dancing around corners with the a7sii and 28mm f2 within two minutes.

With IBIS switched on it is as smooth as silk.

Hard to trust nebula after all the horrible negative threads I've read about them.  Product looks interesting but trust is zero.

Side note: I've been impressed by a6500 and native oss lenses for stabilization.  I've never used the oly stuff so I can't compare but damn... 18-105mm is so steady.

18-105 is very steady with the a6300 as well, seriously impressive lens stabilization from that lens.

Oly stuff is impressive, best in business, haven't seen the new Panasonic stuff though.

All in all, an external stabilizer that stabilizes the whole camera system, is a better experience than IBIS I guess.

From the description it reads as if they just use motors strong enough to overcome the fact that you didn't balance properly. I get away with suboptimal balancing on the Crane too if it's not too out there. But it'll run the batteries down quicker and some people say it also increases the strain on the motors (=quicker time to failure).

For a gimbal to be "self balancing" as some said, it would need automated balancing of the base plate by moving the adjustment points and I don't think we'll see that soon. And if we did, what do you think additional motors for all axes just for balancing will weigh and cost? No thanks.

And have to agree, I wouldn't want to be a paying "beta tester" for Nebula. So far their products always underdelivered on the expectations. Can someone remember the spring loaded T bar that was supposed to counter act walking movement?