Nikon V1 - shooting 4K 60fps raw for $200

Andrew Reid

• Administrators

http://vimeo.com/61441075

Above - the compressed 2.4k version of 4K raw from the Nikon V1 by Javier Sobremazas

There's a dark horse in our midst which very few know about, a camera which can shoot 4K raw at 60fps for $200.

Full article

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators

Yes it does the same but adds nothing new apart from the manual control in burst mode. Video mode and 400fps are the same and they didn't increase the buffer size. Another disturbing trend - yearly follow up models that don't progress the technology.

Hello - the RAW burst capabilities of the V1 and its use for filmmaking have been known for quite some time (at least to me :). BUT: There is a big caveat because this mode ("Electronic Shutter Hi") only works with fully automatic exposure and no control over aperture and shutter speed. And: it only works with Nikon system 1 lenses (maybe also with modern Nikon SLR AF lenses using the official Nikon lens adapter), NOT with adapted mechanical lenses, whether c-mount or otherwise. Believe me, I have tested it. Please correct the respective statements in your article.

(And yes, for experimental filmmakers, the V1 is a dark horse - the first serious alternative to a 16mm Bolex and handprocessed film).

• Administrators

I said ALL that in the article dude! It is the V2 you need for manual exposure controls in burst mode and adaptable lenses.

Considering the clips are so short and exposure is locked for the shot I am fine with the P mode burst of the V1 for now.

Not considering the V2 until I try this first - it is 3x more for practically the same thing.

As usual, really awesome stuff Andrew!
Is there no way to set it to a lower resolution (and jpg?) in order to get more frames into that buffer?

I know some cameras add a limit even though the buffer is big enough (like the NEX-5n, where the settings don't seem to have any effect on the buffer. The NEX-6 is a little better though, I think I managed to get it to 18 frames at 10fps small jpeg before it slowed down to about 3fps.)

Thank you so much for this article/ information about the Nikon V1. I have been agonising for weeks about whether to buy it or spend the money on new glass. This has helped me decide. The description of it as being like a Bolex 16mm really suits is, given its Battleship/Leica- esque aesthetic.

For RAW and 4K the Nikon 1 looks superb for tricks and bits. I have a Panasonic TZ30 which is great with the underwater housing. It also films Full HD 1920x1080 @ 24/25/30/50/60fps and is great for what I need from it. It does also produce 60fps burst mode at 2560x1440 in JPG format, clearly not as good as the Nikon 1's RAW/4K, but I did wonder if my Panasonic TZ30 can do 60fps burst at 2560x1440, why haven't Blackmagic added a similar feature into the Cinema Camera?

Nice. I'm curious if lowering the resolution or jpg format can stretch out the buffer cache to 2-3 seconds... but 4k Raw for 1 second is still awesome. I like fast cutting anyway.

Losing control of exposure etc. doesn't seem like that big of a deal if your shooting raw. You'll have so much to work with in post that it won't matter. Does anyone know if high shutter speeds would still cause a strobing effect when your working directly with a still image sequence in your video editor? Aside from the impact on individual photos, I'm not sure the shutter speed would matter either...

My $200 Nikon V1 is on the way.