Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
ivanku

Lens noise and dual pixel AF

Recommended Posts

Hi guys,

It seems like dual pixel AF is unanimously praised, and I also love it for stills work, which is most of what I do. For video, how do you guys take advantage of dual pixel AF when a camera mounted mic picks up so much lens noise during focusing? 

 

Im using a 5D IV with a rode videomic pro, and for video I've been using manual focus simply because of the AF noise. Do you guys have any workarounds? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
16 minutes ago, ivanku said:

Hi guys,

It seems like dual pixel AF is unanimously praised, and I also love it for stills work, which is most of what I do. For video, how do you guys take advantage of dual pixel AF when a camera mounted mic picks up so much lens noise during focusing? 

 

Im using a 5D IV with a rode videomic pro, and for video I've been using manual focus simply because of the AF noise. Do you guys have any workarounds? 

Which lens are you using? The solution is probably to purchase Canon STM lenses and shoot with the microphone off camera. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm using standard USM lenses. That's the trouble with full frame on canon - there are only two STM lenses that are compatible with full frame, and neither is a focal length I need. Video for me is secondary to stills on a shoot, so I was hoping to keep my setup very simple. So, an on camera microphone and done. But you're right, maybe off-camera mic, or a very directional microphone to an external recorder is a necessary solution.

 

any other ideas?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, ivanku said:

I'm using standard USM lenses. That's the trouble with full frame on canon - there are only two STM lenses that are compatible with full frame, and neither is a focal length I need. Video for me is secondary to stills on a shoot, so I was hoping to keep my setup very simple. So, an on camera microphone and done. But you're right, maybe off-camera mic, or a very directional microphone to an external recorder is a necessary solution.

 

any other ideas?

May I ask what it is you shoot?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm documenting the work of biologists in NYC who study coyotes that live in and around the city. So video is shooting clips of folks at work in a lab, or in the field when they are tracking animals, recording short interviews, etc. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the best solution for your video is to get a STM lens only for that purpose, I know to add a new lens to your kit is a pain, but I think the extra weight is worthy,  I am using a C100 with a STM lens and the image is great, only be careful with the lighting, STM is probably the best solution for your focus today…..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some lenses are nosier than other for example I have no problem with the 24 1.4 and the 50 1.2 with the 1dx II and the rode videomic pro directly on the hotshoe. But the easiest solution is to buy a small arm for the hotshoe and move up and further in front the mic and problem solved. Personally I would not buy STM lenses just for this.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, gt3rs said:

Some lenses are nosier than other for example I have no problem with the 24 1.4 and the 50 1.2 with the 1dx II and the rode videomic pro directly on the hotshoe. But the easiest solution is to buy a small arm for the hotshoe and move up and further in front the mic and problem solved. Personally I would not buy STM lenses just for this.

 

That's a great idea! Is there an arm that you would recommend ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...