Sony rx100 V - 120 fps autofocus

Papiskokuji

Hello guys !

After a few days using the rx100 v in the lovely city of Prague for a long weekend, I decided to keep this little camera. The overheating issue was non-existent there (of course it was freezing outside and I used the manual mode/single autofocus which seems to work better for better battery life and less overheating) and the footage you can shoot with is amazing. I'll try to post some soon. Once again the continuous autofocus is so snappy and convenient for that type of situations (grabing short shots on the fly).

My post is more of a request to Sony. I noticed that in 100/120fps mode, you don't have access to the autofocus settings (sensitivity, speed) and apparently the phase detection is disabled. It makes the autofocus in that mode sooooo slow ! Even slower than what you had with the mk IV in 25fps. No face detection, no nothing. It's very unfortunate I think. I hope Sony could fix it with a firmware update because the autofocus is so slow that it almost looks like a bug. The only thing that makes me think it's not, is the autofocus settings greyed out in that mode. I wanted to do slow mo/gimbal shots with my rx100 and I'll be limited to 60fps for now (the autofocus works in 50/60fps).

So please Sony, make this wonderful autofocus work with 120fps mode !

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • 2 months later...
On 12/2/2016 at 2:27 AM, Papiskokuji said:

Hello guys !

After a few days using the rx100 v in the lovely city of Prague for a long weekend, I decided to keep this little camera. The overheating issue was non-existent there (of course it was freezing outside and I used the manual mode/single autofocus which seems to work better for better battery life and less overheating) and the footage you can shoot with is amazing. I'll try to post some soon. Once again the continuous autofocus is so snappy and convenient for that type of situations (grabing short shots on the fly).

My post is more of a request to Sony. I noticed that in 100/120fps mode, you don't have access to the autofocus settings (sensitivity, speed) and apparently the phase detection is disabled. It makes the autofocus in that mode sooooo slow ! Even slower than what you had with the mk IV in 25fps. No face detection, no nothing. It's very unfortunate I think. I hope Sony could fix it with a firmware update because the autofocus is so slow that it almost looks like a bug. The only thing that makes me think it's not, is the autofocus settings greyed out in that mode. I wanted to do slow mo/gimbal shots with my rx100 and I'll be limited to 60fps for now (the autofocus works in 50/60fps).

So please Sony, make this wonderful autofocus work with 120fps mode !

@Andrew Reid Hi mate, is the autofocus at 120fps of the RX100IV & RX100V really as bad as this forum member has described?

In your review of the RX100IV you mentioned "The great thing about 120fps is you can do a very quick AF lock onto a moving subject then hit record straight away". Thanks, Joel. 

• Administrators

You have to go into stills mode, do single-shot AF-S on your subject then hit the video record button (with 1080/120p set in the menus)

Whilst it is recording, AF won't track the subject.

I agree with the OP, Sony should try and get phase-detect AF working with 120fps... Can't see why it shouldn't!

• 1 year later...