Lightweight camera to match Arri

pat1

I'm just catching up on the latest dslrs/affordable cinema cameras again, and I wanted some input on what camera represents the best filmic image quality at the moment or in the near future, that is also feasible to own?

I mainly rent Arris, alexa, and amira, but I want something I can use myself that is small, light and discreet. I want to be able to put it on a gimbal that I can fit in a backpack, and also want it to be super 35 frame size and ideally 4k, or at least above 2k. 

So far the A7sII, A7RII look like the best options for dynamic range, but the codec seems poor. The BMPCC codec looks great, and decent dynamic range, but the sensor size is small. Canon 5D mark 4 dynamic range looks terrible, and the GH5 looks a long way away.

Is the FS5 an option for a lightweight body?

I own EF stills lenses at the moment, so I'd need an adapter for the sony, and I guess you can also use PL mount adapter?

thanks!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 minute ago, Justin Bacle said:

What about a JVC LS300 (Super35 4K) or a BlackMagic Micro studio Camera (S16 but 4k if an external recorder is ok for you ?) ? Is the GH4 an option ?

The Micro Studio has only like 7 stops of DR and it's directly in Rec709. Saw some youtube vids which had beautiful colors but basically every highlight is blown.

Is the XAVC-L of the Sony FS5 actually any different from the XAVC-S of the A series? It's obviously nothing like the XAVC-I of the FS7.

Get the Blackmagic Micro Cinema Camera, is kinda like the BMPCC but even better! Gives you 60fps FHD slow motion as well.

Slap on a Metabones BMPCC Speedbooster and you've got near Super 35 FoV from the Micro Cinema Camera. 

You're not going to get better quality in an ultra small form package unless you spend five times as much (and get a Kinefinity Terra 5K). 

And the FS5 is all great and awesome, but more for OPC run & gun people, than for someone who wants a B cam to an Arri Alexa,

11 minutes ago, Phil A said:

Is the XAVC-L of the Sony FS5 actually any different from the XAVC-S of the A series? It's obviously nothing like the XAVC-I of the FS7.

It is, since it is 422 10 bit in HD vs 420 8bit in the Alphas. Sure the FS5 is no B cam to an Alexa, not even close, but if you want portability in a "real" camera package (no need for rigging) it is probably the best option -miles ahead of the JVC LS300 IMHO-.

22 minutes ago, Phil A said:

The Micro Studio has only like 7 stops of DR and it's directly in Rec709. Saw some youtube vids which had beautiful colors but basically every highlight is blown.

Oh, I didn't know that the BM micro Studio had such a low DR. Thanks for the info

47 minutes ago, Justin Bacle said:

Oh, I didn't know that the BM micro Studio had such a low DR. Thanks for the info

Yeah you want to avoid like the plague any of the studio versions that BMD sells, unless....   well, you want to set up a studio! ;-) Then it is going to be just great for that purpose. 

I'd say stick with Blackmagic. Many Hollywood DPs swear by it as a B-camera for the Alexa/Amira, as the DR and color space is extremely similar.

Stick a BMPCC speed booster on a Pocket and you've got a 1.67x crop factor, which isn't that bad compared to S35. But if you want, that speed booster also works on the 2.5K BMCC, and reduces your crop factor to 1.39. That, the extra resolution, and an effective ISO sensitivity of 2500 (800+1 2/3 stops) should be enough to crush most shooting situations without issue.

It seems like the BMPCC is the only cam that meets most of your criteria... Depending upon which is more important to you... 4K resolution or discretion? If you don't mind a small sensor, then the XC10/15 is a great camera with unmatched (at its price point) broadcast quality 4K and the gorgeous 1080p downscaled from 4 K in camera. 

If discretion is important, do not get the BMMCC (micro cinema) although it's about the size of a Rubik's Cube, by the time you rig it out with essentials, it becomes a mini beast that draws attention. 

3 minutes ago, pat1 said:

I never really considered the 5d mark 4, but this doesn't look too terrible: 

Have they released any info on the sensor dynamic range etc?

Not too bad at all. It was kinda cool to see the touchscreen DPAF in action as well.