Monopod Help

Dustin

I have this Benro Monopod. It has been good except after about 3-4 months of very light use, the second lock actually doesn't lock the leg and the camera will slowly slide down. I am using a d5300 and a tamron 17-50 usually so nothing crazy. I recall looking somewhere on the internet saying that this was a flaw with the design and instead get the twist lock version. Can this failing lock actually be fixed? I believe I have tightened the lock with the included Allen wrench. I just hate that I spent $200 (cheap for gear support stuff I know) and it's now half way functioning. Would there be a way to get the head off and use it on tripod legs?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Personally I prefer flip locks on my video tripod and monopod, I make lots of height adjustments and fiddling with three twist locks slows me down, YMMV. Been using the Manfrotto video monopod with the cartridge on the feet for years and it has no issues at all. I also have the Benro carbon tripod with the s8 head, locks are perfect after over a year of regular use. My photo only tripod has twist locks, which is fine as I'm not adjusting it as much. 

I highly recommend the Sirui P204S. 

I had the Manfrotto video monopod for years and it was good for what it was at the time.

I actually sold it on kijiji for more than I bought the Sirui for new. 

Manfrotto was great for breaking new ground with the video monopod concept but the Sirui has built on that template and is just better, with much more features.

Wow guys that Sirui is a cool concept. I will look into this. I fully understand you get what you pay for but I just wish the Benro monopod with the flip locks had lasted longer. I will try to tighten it up and if that doesn't work I will look at this sirui monopod.

38 minutes ago, Dustin said:

Wow guys that Sirui is a cool concept. I will look into this. I fully understand you get what you pay for but I just wish the Benro monopod with the flip locks had lasted longer. I will try to tighten it up and if that doesn't work I will look at this sirui monopod.

I have the Sirui and it's great... Until it isn't. Let me explain... Inside the individual tubes is a plastic piece. The extension and collapse of the legs over time causes the aluminum to bite into the plastic and shave off little pieces that get stuck and mar the aluminum. Also, the twist locks do not work that great after a while. The upper pan section is practically useless. The bottom section is good, but the knob that provides the tension is starting to fail, making it difficult to loosen the tension on the bottom pan/tilt movements. I've had mine for less than a year and these little headaches are forcing me to search for a new monopod. I will probably get the Benro and put lock nuts on the back of the flip locks... If it's possible?

43 minutes ago, mercer said:

I have the Sirui and it's great... Until it isn't. Let me explain... Inside the individual tubes is a plastic piece. The extension and collapse of the legs over time causes the aluminum to bite into the plastic and shave off little pieces that get stuck and mar the aluminum. Also, the twist locks do not work that great after a while. The upper pan section is practically useless. The bottom section is good, but the knob that provides the tension is starting to fail, making it difficult to loosen the tension on the bottom pan/tilt movements. I've had mine for less than a year and these little headaches are forcing me to search for a new monopod. I will probably get the Benro and put lock nuts on the back of the flip locks... If it's possible?

Woah, good to know!

I've had mine for less than a year with no issues but I can totally see how all those connecting parts could become a problem over time if it wasn't constructed well.

Thanks for putting this out there!

2 minutes ago, Ty Harper said:

Woah, good to know!

I've had mine for less than a year with no issues but I can totally see how all those connecting parts could become a problem over time if it wasn't constructed well.

Thanks for putting this out there!

I also must add, I've been lubricating the leg sections and it has helped to slow the breakdown of the plastic. 

15 minutes ago, Dustin said:

Uhh geez! So what would the alternative be to the sirui that won't break on me within a year but isn't $1000? It's insane to me how expensive camera support gear is.

A lot of people have the Sirui and don't have issues. Mine worked fairly well in the beginning, but I also should note I bought an open box item. So who knows it may have been returned for being defective. I just know that after disassembling it and seeing how it was made, that these issues could arise for anyone who owns one. So YMMV. 

3 hours ago, dafreaking said:

Dayumm mercer, you have me worried now

When I bought mine it was already a little tight. I looked at a bunch of Amazon reviews and a lot of people were having the same issue with the leg sections, others weren't. I did read that it's important with the Sirui not to loosen the lock and let it slide open on its own, that's how the plastic on the inside starts to break down and shave off. So, as long as you're careful it will probably last a while. I just know with what I have experienced, I won't buy another one when this one completely breaks.