Camera feature I'd love to see

M Carter

As far as I'm aware, manually white balancing a camera changes the color on two axis - blue/orange and magenta/green. Similar to using CTO or CTB and plus- or minus-green.

Manually white balance a still and open the raw image, and you'll see (via the raw sliders) how much correction was used. Or shooting a still in a situation with imperfect WB and then setting white balance in the Raw converter will show you how far the color axis had to be changed to get the color accurate.

I'd like a camera to show me those numbers when I manually white balance. Often I'm shooting in offices with modern flo fixtures, which are usually around 3700k with a lot of green. if I have a pre-pro chance, I can shoot the place with a raw stills camera and figure exactly what flos (most of my flos need 1/4 CTB and 1/8 -green to get a clean 5200k) and HMIs need gel-wise so the office fixtures look natural and function as fill. It looks odd to the client when I'm putting orange and green gels on my lights, but it sure is nice in post.

I've found if the RAW slider is halfway up for magenta, that usually equates to about a half minus green, and so on. Color temp is more of a sliding scale than linear, but it can usually be sussed out quickly.

This wouldn't be an earth-shaking feature but would sure be handy. Modern cameras are pretty decent color meters when you think of it - would be nice to have that data presented somewhere in the interface - since it's already in the camera.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, Inazuma said:

Would also love to auto whitebalance and then be able to lock it in

By "lock it in" do you mean save it as a preset? I've shot with Panasonic sorta-broadcast video cameras (AC and DVX series) which can save one or two, and my Nikon DSLRs can save about as many as you want (naming them is an issue...) My NX1 can't however. Or do you mean have it not shift or drift or something?

37 minutes ago, M Carter said:

By "lock it in" do you mean save it as a preset? I've shot with Panasonic sorta-broadcast video cameras (AC and DVX series) which can save one or two, and my Nikon DSLRs can save about as many as you want (naming them is an issue...) My NX1 can't however. Or do you mean have it not shift or drift or something?

Nah I mean just lock it like you can lock an autoexposure. Some cameras are sometimes able to colorbalance very accurately in AWB mode. 

I need

1) no line skipping sensor.(I do not care the resolution, just give me one) with contolled rolling shutter. 

2) 12 bit diynamic range

3) cinema dng

edit. I add the 4) no fixed pattern noise, or vertical stripes in shadows.

the first one means no aliasing and moire. essential.

I does not need

1) a good mic on camera

2) expensive modular tools

3) marketing that want to convince for 1000 new features every new year

I just need that.  the first one who make that camera for <1500 euro I will be client.

Since we are playing fantasy.

What I want is...

FF DSLR format. Interchangeable PL/EF mount

20 to 25MP DPAF (touch screen) that can shoot up to 25,600 ISO at up to 10fps. 

Blackmagic like menu system, as Canon's has gotten quite convoluted lately.

Now for video features in the same camera:

- IQ like Arri,

- Multiple Res to Ratio formats & HFR like Red

AND

-Redcode for editing.

All for $3000 to $5000