A6300, Flat profile other than slog

Alex Uzan

10 hours ago, JoshFromPerth said:

Can someone pass comment on how one might expose / grade anything in the surf where you're dealing with verrrry bright highlights, not a lot of darks, and often very little difference between the ocean and sky / horizon line. Using the aforementioned profile I got some terrible results exposing to +2, but even dropping to +1 everything is still very difficult to pull back from the flat, crushed blacks look the aforementioned profile provides..

naise 2 year bump

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Here's the end product but I had to take that artistic direction rather than my preferred more natural approach because the light was just so poorly exposed. If you can't tell what I mean, I'll try and put together an ungraded clip today - The weather was tough, overcast raining in the background (no colour, blurred, little light) but I still found the footage needed so much work to get any contrast back which skewed the little colour there was present.

Deadcode: I don't see any correlation between a GoPros capability and my question?

Edit: Removed the question about EOSHD, read up about it. Is there anything the EOSHD profiles provide that I can't just experiment with and set myself? I thought it was some software rather than a PDF with settings recommendations

Thanks @webrunner5

Can you see how the footage has lost quite a bit of detail in the highlights though? I shot this using the recommended profile but I feel using +2 ev is way too much for surf / open outdoor Australian sun - perhaps I'd have been better using .5 if that, what do you think?
Also I found it really tricky to bring the colour back in at that exposure

Are you shooting with the A6300 or a A7 series? I have pushed my A7s as much as 3 stops in Slog2. But not in really bright sunlight. Maybe try +1.5. You will get a lot of noise if you pull back too much. But noise is better than blown out everything. Slog 3 I am not fond of at all in a 8bit camera.