Microphone for audio dialogues on set?

JazzBox

@sanveer Here's a link to the one I ordered, I got it from ZenPro: http://www.zenproaudio.com/triton-audio-fethead

It works perfectly with the NTG2, I've also played around with boosting other common mics such as a shure sm57, works great for that too. I went with this one because the other model you mentioned, (FetHead Phantom) is the one that I heard doesn't work right with the NTG2's battery, plus you sacrifice quite a bit of gain. The one I got, which takes phantom power from the recorder to power itself (thus leaving the mic boosted but needing to run off it's own AA for power) gives a clean 27 db boost! The phantom one passes the phantom on through to the mic to power both, but supposedly has problems with the NTG2 and is reduced to an 18db boost instead of 27. 

So my recording setup is the NTG-2+FetHead (it's so tiny, just goes right into the back of the mic, only adds an inch or two) but I run it into my Tascam DR-40, on a rode micro boompole with a rode ws-6 windscreen. Admittedly I'm really not much of an audiophile, but for me it sounds great, even indoors. I use it for interviews a lot, just throw the boom on a C-stand above the talent, and it sounds way better than my lavalier setup. Much richer audio. The DR-40 has super handy dual-track recording also, so you can set one a bit higher and one a bit lower and not worry too much if audio happens to peak. It's definitely a 'poor man's setup' but like I said it really satisfies just about all of my audio needs for whatever I'm shooting. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
5 hours ago, Parker said:

@sanveer Here's a link to the one I ordered, I got it from ZenPro: http://www.zenproaudio.com/triton-audio-fethead

It works perfectly with the NTG2, I've also played around with boosting other common mics such as a shure sm57, works great for that too. I went with this one because the other model you mentioned, (FetHead Phantom) is the one that I heard doesn't work right with the NTG2's battery, plus you sacrifice quite a bit of gain. The one I got, which takes phantom power from the recorder to power itself (thus leaving the mic boosted but needing to run off it's own AA for power) gives a clean 27 db boost! The phantom one passes the phantom on through to the mic to power both, but supposedly has problems with the NTG2 and is reduced to an 18db boost instead of 27. 

So my recording setup is the NTG-2+FetHead (it's so tiny, just goes right into the back of the mic, only adds an inch or two) but I run it into my Tascam DR-40, on a rode micro boompole with a rode ws-6 windscreen. Admittedly I'm really not much of an audiophile, but for me it sounds great, even indoors. I use it for interviews a lot, just throw the boom on a C-stand above the talent, and it sounds way better than my lavalier setup. Much richer audio. The DR-40 has super handy dual-track recording also, so you can set one a bit higher and one a bit lower and not worry too much if audio happens to peak. It's definitely a 'poor man's setup' but like I said it really satisfies just about all of my audio needs for whatever I'm shooting. 

Thanks for the reply Parker. I like smart people use their research skills to outdo gear limitations. 

• 2 months later...