Jump to content

4K 60p C500 Mark II or C300 Mark II Firmware Update


bowielow

Recommended Posts

I'm a wedding photographer/videographer who's looking to get new gear, for the fun of it mostly, but also to have an alternative to my current lineup of lenses and video cameras. I was feeling kind of bored and I was looking into buying one of the Canon Cinema cameras. I realised that unlike the FS7, the C300 Mark II doesn't have 60p in 4K and it can only shoot at frame rates higher than 60p in a severely cropped mode. That got me wondering whether the camera is physically capable of shooting at those requirements and if so, will Canon release a firmware update? Or will they just lump the whole full set of video capabilities in the C500 Mark II. At the moment, the C500 can only record 4K to an external recorder, which isn't what I'm looking for exactly because I prefer to have my cameras as minimally setup as possible. I don't like chunky attachments when shooting on the go. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

If you can stomach one monitor attached then I'd say you should consider the FS700 + Odyssey 7Q. 4K 120fps in Raw and ProRes, no problem. Not to mention if you're using Canon lenses with the Speedbooster you'll get Full Frame. All at 1/3 the cost of a C300 II.

I totally understand the caveat of having a small setup, but it comes with a price. Literally and spec-wise.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AaronChicago said:

If you can stomach one monitor attached then I'd say you should consider the FS700 + Odyssey 7Q. 4K 120fps in Raw and ProRes, no problem. Not to mention if you're using Canon lenses with the Speedbooster you'll get Full Frame. All at 1/3 the cost of a C300 II.

I totally understand the caveat of having a small setup, but it comes with a price. Literally and spec-wise.

 

How's that going for you Aaron? I'm wondering whether the FS5 will get the same deal. That FS700 combo is pretty special. 120fps on most cameras is heavily compromised. 

Apparently the C500 is going to have a massive price drop ($9999), and with the 7Q you can get 4k 60p and 120fps. That might be a tasty proposition for some people. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

And yet.... even after a massive price drop, the Sony FS7 is still more appealing.

Sony FS7.... best thing about it is XAVC-I. Brilliant codec - wish the A7SII could get that! (dreaming). 

C500 will still appeal as it's a "Canon" and has (subjectively) more pleasing colour. 

I hope the FS5 will really sing with the 7Q update as XAVC-L is bloody awful. 

The glaring omission from the C300 II is 4k 60p. Ridiculous really - they may want shooters to buy the 1DX II (or 1DC II) as B-cam for 4k 60p. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Oliver Daniel said:

 

How's that going for you Aaron? I'm wondering whether the FS5 will get the same deal. That FS700 combo is pretty special. 120fps on most cameras is heavily compromised. 

Apparently the C500 is going to have a massive price drop ($9999), and with the 7Q you can get 4k 60p and 120fps. That might be a tasty proposition for some people. 

I love it so far. No complaints at all. I've only shot 2 spots with it so far though. I mostly shoot 4k Raw converted to 2K ProRes in the 7Q. It keeps the files a decent size but lots of detail and color info in tact.

 

Peets.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, AaronChicago said:

I love it so far. No complaints at all. I've only shot 2 spots with it so far though. I mostly shoot 4k Raw converted to 2K ProRes in the 7Q. It keeps the files a decent size but lots of detail and color info in tact.

 

Peets.jpg

 

Awesome, glad to hear it.

Do you have it on sticks or handheld? I'e always found handholding the FS700 (with no rig) a massive pain. 

The C500 has had a price drop in the UK... just under £7k +VAT.  With a 7Q, seems like it would be an attractive purchase for Canon lovers. 

I'm keeping an eye on the FS5 and 7Q+ options. I love that body. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Oliver Daniel said:

 

Awesome, glad to hear it.

Do you have it on sticks or handheld? I'e always found handholding the FS700 (with no rig) a massive pain. 

The C500 has had a price drop in the UK... just under £7k +VAT.  With a 7Q, seems like it would be an attractive purchase for Canon lovers. 

I'm keeping an eye on the FS5 and 7Q+ options. I love that body. 

I used a shoulder mount with front rods/grips, and a top handle. It's not too bad at all. The 7Q is pretty heavy so it's hard to use the combo handheld with the stock grip. Curious to see what happens with the FS5 as well!

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, AaronChicago said:

I used a shoulder mount with front rods/grips, and a top handle. It's not too bad at all. The 7Q is pretty heavy so it's hard to use the combo handheld with the stock grip. Curious to see what happens with the FS5 as well!

Awesome. 

I think it would be great for Convergent to release a 5Q. I put a 5" on the A7SII and I love having the big screen in front of my eyes. 

Just shot a piece on the FS7 recently. 10bit is absolutely awesome. Slog3 is fantastic with more data, awful on 8-bit. 

I wouldn't get the FS5 to use the rather poor XAVC-L... those high frame rates really need a great codec for professional work. As does the 4k. 

I'd only buy a major A-cam right now if it was future proof. Brilliant the FS700 will be for another 5 years at least!

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Oliver Daniel said:

Awesome. 

I think it would be great for Convergent to release a 5Q. I put a 5" on the A7SII and I love having the big screen in front of my eyes. 

I hope Video Devices adds FS raw support to their PIX-E5! As especially with the PIX-LR adding in very high quality XLR audio support, you end up with one little neat 5" package.

 

http://nofilmschool.com/2016/03/sound-devices-pix-lr-audio-xlr-accessory-video-devices-e5-e5h-e7

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...