Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Ian Edward Weir

Footage of Rectilux Core DNA with Baby Hypergonar

Recommended Posts

Here is my first test with my run and gun anamorphic set up. 
Shot on a GH4 in 4k with natural profile.
Lens used were Baby Hypergonar anamorphic + LINOS MeVis-C 35mm F1.6 Most of it shot at f1.6 or f2.8
Rectilux Core DNA with +0.6 diopter on close ups.
No sharping or noise reduction.. I hope you like. The images at the end I really love. The Rectilux is a dream but you diopters to get sharp below 2 feet.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Rectilux Core DNA: Extras to get by Ian Edward Weir

I would highly recommend getting these extras to make the Core DNA ready for use.

 

1. M3/M4 Stainless Steel Nylon Head Grub Screw Plastic Brake Buffer Bolt Screws Hex

This is so you don’t scratch up the coating of your anamorphic lens or housing.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281858121964?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&var=580836260280&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

 

2. 86mm UV filter to protect the front of the Core DNA glass.

 

3. Metal back cap for whatever size you end up using for your coupler if bigger then 75mm. 

 

4. A custom coupler made from this lens hood fits perfectly. “FOTGA Screw Mount 67mm Standard Metal Lens Hood for Canon Nikon Pentax Sony Olympus” 

http://www.amazon.com/FOTGA-Screw-Standard-Pentax-Olympus/dp/B009GFY858

Then a step down ring or step up ring for whatever the size of your front anamorphic thread is. I’m doing 77mm because this is what most of my front clamps are. I’m making a custom 75mm to 77mm coupler for Kowa 1.5x and Kowa 1.75x.

 

5. 86mm Fixed Spacer Ring

http://srb-photographic.co.uk/86mm-fixed-spacer-ring-5713-p.asp

You want a uv filter to protect the glass but having it on you can’t completely go to infinity. Lucky, even with the uv filter on and not being able to turn the Core DNA to infinity, I’m sharp for over 100 feet. This spacer is for clearing the full range of the focus and using filters.

 

6. You want to get some 86mm or higher diopters. You need them if you want to get sharp and close.

25382792566_30ce9a8828_b.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, tigerbengal said:

Congrats Ian!! great video, Love the first 19 sec and last part...Anamorphic background!! cool.

also thank you for sharing your setup and what worked for you with the Rectilux...

Thanks! I love sharing and learning from all of you. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 29/02/2016 at 3:40 PM, Ian Edward Weir said:

1. M3/M4 Stainless Steel Nylon Head Grub Screw Plastic Brake Buffer Bolt Screws Hex

This is so you don’t scratch up the coating of your anamorphic lens or housing.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281858121964?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&var=580836260280&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Hello Ian,

Very nice topic you made here, thanks!

Can I ask you please what diameter should I buy for my Recilux 3FF-W?

Have a nice day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Junior said:

Hello Ian,

Very nice topic you made here, thanks!

Can I ask you please what diameter should I buy for my Recilux 3FF-W?

Have a nice day.

Hello, I'm not sure what you mean? Here is an article on the Recilux 3FF-W. http://www.newsshooter.com/2016/01/27/real-anamorphic-for-less-the-rectilux-3ff-w-single-focus-adapter-reviewed/

I have the Core DNA, which has a 75mm thread and can take lens of that size or smaller by locking down with grub screws. I also have a 3FF-S for baby anamorphic lens but I don't know much about the 3FF-W. All the Recilux adapters are very nice and have made shooting with any anamorphic lens I choose look good! Worth the money for me. Super sharp and no loss of image quality and no silly blue blobs. Unless your into that sort of thing ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 09/05/2016 at 4:33 AM, Ian Edward Weir said:

Hello, I'm not sure what you mean? Here is an article on the Recilux 3FF-W. http://www.newsshooter.com/2016/01/27/real-anamorphic-for-less-the-rectilux-3ff-w-single-focus-adapter-reviewed/

I have the Core DNA, which has a 75mm thread and can take lens of that size or smaller by locking down with grub screws. I also have a 3FF-S for baby anamorphic lens but I don't know much about the 3FF-W. All the Recilux adapters are very nice and have made shooting with any anamorphic lens I choose look good! Worth the money for me. Super sharp and no loss of image quality and no silly blue blobs. Unless your into that sort of thing ;)

You posted an eBay link to "M3/M4 Stainless Steel Nylon Head Grub Screw Plastic Brake Buffer Bolt Screws Hex".
This eBay product has different diameters. What I am asking is what diameter should I buy to replace 3FF-W screws.
Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a question about the Rectilux - does it mount directly to the taking lens?  How does the baby hypergonar mount?  Or are you using another clamp like redstan's?  Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, nahua said:

I have a question about the Rectilux - does it mount directly to the taking lens?  How does the baby hypergonar mount?  Or are you using another clamp like redstan's?  Thanks!

Hi Nahua, The Baby Hypergonar is in a Redstan jacket clamp and then that fits inside of the Rectilux Core DNA.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, nahua said:

I have a question about the Rectilux - does it mount directly to the taking lens?  How does the baby hypergonar mount?  Or are you using another clamp like redstan's?  Thanks!

I also wanted you to know, that this was the older version of the Baby Jacket. The new version is much nicer with a kerned rim but will not slip into the Core DNA. You can make a custom clamp out of lens hood and then connect it to new Baby Hypergonar Jacket clamp from Redstan. He make the best Baby Hypergonar gear.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thx alot Ian for your help. Definitely helped with my hardcore dna.

Just wanted to add. I tried buying those grub screws but after a month they never came. Company was nice enough about the refund tho.

Also i'd like to add thick rubber bands (or cut up a bike innertube) to your list. Used to protect anamormorphic from the DNA grub screws.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, deedive said:

Thx alot Ian for your help. Definitely helped with my hardcore dna.

Just wanted to add. I tried buying those grub screws but after a month they never came. Company was nice enough about the refund tho.

Also i'd like to add thick rubber bands (or cut up a bike innertube) to your list. Used to protect anamormorphic from the DNA grub screws.

That's a good idea! Thanks. Sorry you did not get grub screws. They are nice. Cheers!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/14/2017 at 4:23 AM, Ian Edward Weir said:

I also wanted you to know, that this was the older version of the Baby Jacket. The new version is much nicer with a kerned rim but will not slip into the Core DNA. You can make a custom clamp out of lens hood and then connect it to new Baby Hypergonar Jacket clamp from Redstan. He make the best Baby Hypergonar gear.

Thanks again Ian.  I did get Redstan's clamp and it works well.  I have to get a step ring for my rangefinder, but I'll be testing it soon.  Just wondering what is the widest you can go?  I have a GH4 + Metabones speedbooster, and I can use a 35mm with slight vignette in 4:3 mode.  If I crop the edges it comes out well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, nahua said:

Thanks again Ian.  I did get Redstan's clamp and it works well.  I have to get a step ring for my rangefinder, but I'll be testing it soon.  Just wondering what is the widest you can go?  I have a GH4 + Metabones speedbooster, and I can use a 35mm with slight vignette in 4:3 mode.  If I crop the edges it comes out well.

Hello, I need to double check but 28mm is the widest I can go with GH4 and Baby Hypergonar. 16:9 or 4:3. You got the new version of Baby Hypergonar jacket?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes I got the new sleeve for the Baby Hypergonar.  With the Rangefinder and Vari-ND filter, it becomes a very front heavy setup.  I find I can go with 35mm as widest, with the Vari-ND I get a lot of vigenette.  I tried a 28mm but it just was too much.  I hope to get the CoreDNA when it's available in June, and then test it out again.

_X8A7517.jpg

_X8A7536.jpg

_X8A7539.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, nahua said:

Yes I got the new sleeve for the Baby Hypergonar.  With the Rangefinder and Vari-ND filter, it becomes a very front heavy setup.  I find I can go with 35mm as widest, with the Vari-ND I get a lot of vigenette.  I tried a 28mm but it just was too much.  I hope to get the CoreDNA when it's available in June, and then test it out again.

_X8A7517.jpg

_X8A7536.jpg

_X8A7539.jpg

Nice. I got this one as well. You might want to check out the Focuser 8. I got two on the way now. :) 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...