Jump to content

Does a7s ii output 120 fps through hdmi?


EliotZ

Recommended Posts

Hey guys! Im thinking of buying atomos ninja assassin and it would be cool if I could use it for 120fps slow motion in my a7s ii. I just cant find anything about recording slow motion on a7s ii on ninja assassin or shogun. So it dosent work or what then because I would really love to have that option.

Also can you record 1080p slow motion in camera and 4k 24p in ninja assassin simultaniusly or the other way around? I know it sounds a bjt unreal but I would love that.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

no and no. Sorry!

1- A7s HDMI output is 60p HD & 30p UHD.

2- Your chosen frame rate is how many images the sensor will take in a second, so it obviously has to be one number at one given moment in time, either 30p, 60p, 120p.

Those of us who require having both slo-mo and normal speed in the same take, shoot at 60p and use it for slowing down to 30p and for normal speed just discard half the frames to 30p. Works fine.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎22‎/‎02‎/‎2016 at 1:23 PM, Ebrahim Saadawi said:

no and no. Sorry!

1- A7s HDMI output is 60p HD & 30p UHD.

2- Your chosen frame rate is how many images the sensor will take in a second, so it obviously has to be one number at one given moment in time, either 30p, 60p, 120p.

Those of us who require having both slo-mo and normal speed in the same take, shoot at 60p and use it for slowing down to 30p and for normal speed just discard half the frames to 30p. Works fine.

You should see the difference between an a7s & a7sii.

His question pertains to the a7sii, which does have 120fps internally, his question is whether it can output it through hdmi.

Good question. I would hope so.... the shogun or ninja assassin can both record 1080/120p.

But, to be honest, I do not know the answer to either question.... would love to know from the owners.

The reason why you haven't found an answer is because most that own the original a7s would most likely have a shogun or ninja assassin, whereas people that have an a7sii, mostly likely won't have a shogun or assassin because they have the 4K and 120p internally.

The only problem with the a7sii and the 120p is the 2.2 crop - and you can't frame it till after you press record (that's what I read from the sonyalpharumors forum)

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Super Members
8 minutes ago, mkabi said:

You should see the difference between an a7s & a7sii.

His question pertains to the a7sii, which does have 120fps internally, his question is whether it can output it through hdmi.

Good question. I would hope so.... the shogun or ninja assassin can both record 1080/120p.

But, to be honest, I do not know the answer to either question.... would love to know from the owners.

The reason why you haven't found an answer is because most that own the original a7s would most likely have a shogun or ninja assassin, whereas people that have an a7sii, mostly likely won't have a shogun or assassin because they have the 4K and 120p internally.

The only problem with the a7sii and the 120p is the 2.2 crop - and you can't frame it till after you press record (that's what I read from the sonyalpharumors forum)

Ebrahim already answered. Its no and no.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

 

10 hours ago, mkabi said:

Really? I thought he was only answer for the mark 1.

Even the mark 2? That sucks...

 

Sorry but yes. No and no.

But when you look at it actually 60p through HDMI is pretty damn good, 60p is great for unobtrusive Slo-motion. And no cameras in this category AT ALL outputs 120p, and 60p is pretty rare. 

Since we opened a thread: does any camera at all output higher than 60p through HDMI interface, at any price point, any shape or any brand?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ebrahim Saadawi said:


Since we opened a thread: does any camera at all output higher than 60p through HDMI interface, at any price point, any shape or any brand?

No. HDMI is a consumer interface and 1.4b only supports 120hz (at fullhd) ONLY in 3d mode. HDMI 2.0 does support 1080p 120hz but it's rarely supported because most HDMI 2.0 monitors are 4k at 60p. HDMI is a monitor interface.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/24/2016 at 0:55 AM, Ebrahim Saadawi said:

 

 

Sorry but yes. No and no.

But when you look at it actually 60p through HDMI is pretty damn good, 60p is great for unobtrusive Slo-motion. And no cameras in this category AT ALL outputs 120p, and 60p is pretty rare. 

Since we opened a thread: does any camera at all output higher than 60p through HDMI interface, at any price point, any shape or any brand?

Good to know...

Now I have to know, between 1080/120 recorded internally (with either a7sii, NX1 or the upcoming 1dx2), vs. 1080/60 externally with Pro Res 8bit 4:2:2.

Which one would Txixtor be better with? Less warping and stuff?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...