SLR Magic 25mm vs Voigtlander 25mm

dvcrn

Hi,

I recently invested into m43 with the 25mm from slr magic as my first lens. Upon arrival this lens was in a bad condition. There were scratches and notches everywhere and even the lenscap has a few damps in it. The aperture and focus rings feel really bad and around the fastest and slowest stop feel like I'm grinding something inside the thing. I read before that SLR Magic has some serious quality problems and that it's more a tend of luck if you get a good or a bad one but didn't know that this still applies. 

The lens goes back to bhphotovideo tomorrow but now I am questioning myself if I want to stay with this lens (a new one of course) or if I should go to something else. I also got the voigtlander 17.5mm and man! This thing feels absolutely incredible. The rings are smooth, the build superb. The SLR Magic's rings are good for follow focus but kind of hurt in the fingers a bit. 

In previous posts (including on this forums), the SLR Magic 25mm "won" against the Voigtlander. I was wondering if this is with the v2 version (which also includes click-less aperture) of the Voigtlander the same. What's your experience with SLR Magic vs Voigtlander? 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Hello,

From what I understand the Voigtlander 25mm v2 has exactly the same optical formula as v1 but as you alluded to has just been updated to include the click-less aperture. I read one post a while pack saying they saw slight improvements in the optics, which maybe is true as the v2 came out after Voigtlander had released two further lenses (improved manufacturing?) but I would take that with a pinch of salt.

I own the v1 of the lens and it's my favourite lens I own =) I did own the SLR 12mm T1.6 and although the image had some magic to it, using the focus ring felt like I was twisting pepper onto my dinner and looking down the barrel was a dirty experience that I didn't repeat. I sent it back too. So yes, I concur about the build quality. Using the Voigtlander is such a buttery, rewarding and enjoyable experience. The way a lens should be! The sweet spot is f/1.4 - 2.8. I only use 0.95 - 1.2 when I need the light or for effect.

How do you find the 17.5mm? Would love to pick one up at some point. Be great for you to have 2 lenses that match each other with their colour, rendering and operation.

This convinced me of the SLR Magic way back when: http://3d-kraft.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=137:adorable-25s-25mm-f095-speed-lens-comparison-on-lumix-gh3&catid=40:camerasandlenses&Itemid=2 .

Had no problems with it (one of the first 100 pre-order units). From what I've understood, version II of the SLR Magic was so it had better compatibility for mounting anamorphic attachments. Am surprised they come in very subpar shape to you guys (although getting only one lens (directly from the manufacturer), there isn't much to take away from that sole experience). But I'd say: follow your guts. If you were happy with the Voigtländers... it's not like they make poop. German (although originally Viennese/Austrian) meets Japanese. Although in terms of engineering I think it still shows signs of the German Sachlichkeit. They have a solid product and ditto history, that's for sure. SLR Magic are a pretty typical Chinese company. They lure you in with an impressive specsheet at a pretty impressive price. Zhongyi is another prime example of that. Doesn't neccessarily mean that what they have to offer in all actuality is crap, but here and there you do notice they haven't got any vast German or Japanese heritage of precision engineering.

That said. I absolutely adore my SLR Magic HyperPrime CINE 25mm T0.95. But when getting it I was able to shave off a bit of the price by pre-ordering, so economically, for me, it became more interesting than the Voigtländer. Would I have gotten the Voigtländer instead though, I'm pretty sure I would've felt the same way I'm feeling about the SLR Magic now.

- Actually, there was one thing to notice about the SLR Magic. The fit was just fine on Panasonic cameras, but I was afraid to break my Olympus E-M1 when trying to mount it on there (which I wanted desperately, because of the in-body stabilization with full manual electronicless glass), so friggin' tight. Read up on it and others were reporting the same, but that you shouldn't be afraid and just force it. First tried to get SLR Magic's response, they said they could change the mount, but that might result in the lens turning out to be a 'sloppy' fit on the Panasonic. Well, that's not what I wanted either and my priority was with Panasonic (as Olympus video still wasn't much to write home about). Long story short, I forced the lens on the Olympus and didn't really break anything, maybe roughed up the lens mount a tiny bit. It's weird though that the mount within the same format isn't equal from one camera to the next. I expected zero tolerance.

My experiences echo Cinegain's. My SLR Magic 25mm is my favorite lens-- fast, sharp without being harsh, extraordinary bokeh ( best I've ever seen, and I'm a lens connoisseur), a really cinematic color/contrast profile, 3-dimensional rendering, clickless aperture, buttery focus ring, and overall just built like a tank. 

The Voigtlander is excellent as well, and enjoys higher demand (ie easier to resell), less sample variation, and a wider user base (from which to learn the lens' quirks). It suffers from softness until f/2 or so (particularly in the corners) and harsher bokeh though, so look up as many samples as you can before you decide. It's also a fair bit more expensive, so weigh your options carefully.

Thanks for all the replies!

I own the v1 of the lens and it's my favourite lens I own =) I did own the SLR 12mm T1.6 and although the image had some magic to it, using the focus ring felt like I was twisting pepper onto my dinner and looking down the barrel was a dirty experience that I didn't repeat.

That is exactly how I feel with mine right now. Something in there is definitely grinding. That and all the outside things together clearly tell me that something fishy is going on with this one.  

I read that one too when I initially went for the lens. I really like the results but I guess I am just a bit worried that the replacement might have some flaw inside that I can't spot that easily like the outside notches. Especially for a non-professional. I don't want my lens to randomly break in the future because quality control took a day off on my unit. 

But then again, I think you are right and I would probably love the Voigtlander the same if I went with it instead. 

I guess it comes down to Image quality and not so good build vs high quality build and handling but a little less quality.

I think I'll give the SLR Magic another chance but if the replacement comes in a similar condition than my current one, I will try to avoid that company from that point on and jump ship to the Voigtlander. Fingers crossed!

Thanks for all the replies!

That is exactly how I feel with mine right now. Something in there is definitely grinding. That and all the outside things together clearly tell me that something fishy is going on with this one.  

I read that one too when I initially went for the lens. I really like the results but I guess I am just a bit worried that the replacement might have some flaw inside that I can't spot that easily like the outside notches. Especially for a non-professional. I don't want my lens to randomly break in the future because quality control took a day off on my unit. 

But then again, I think you are right and I would probably love the Voigtlander the same if I went with it instead. 

I guess it comes down to Image quality and not so good build vs high quality build and handling but a little less quality.

I think I'll give the SLR Magic another chance but if the replacement comes in a similar condition than my current one, I will try to avoid that company from that point on and jump ship to the Voigtlander. Fingers crossed!

I would go with the Voigtlander, since you already have the 17, and you're pleased with it, you might as well have the 25mm for similar characteristics.