Cheapest Full Frame - Photos

ricardo_sousa11

Hey,

Lately I've been wanting to get a Full-Frame camera, mainly for stills, but would appreciate if it could work decently for Video as well. I usually work with the NX1 for video, and for pictures I borrow a Nikon D800, which is great ! However, I want to have my own Full Frame sensor, so I dont have to bug him everytime I want to take some pictures. At first I was looking at the Sony a7, which goes around 800€ on Ebay, or the 5D Mark 2 which also goes around 800€ on ebay....now Im confused, what are your recomendations ?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

There's no easy solution.  I've lately standardized on the Sony A7 because my eyes are old and I like the EVF, focus zoom, small size.  

However, with the 5DII I'd get faster menus, autofocus, ETTL flash, Magic Lantern RAW, no worries with Tilt-shift lenses, plus great Canon lenses to choose from.(not to mention a practically free 50mm, nifty-fifty).  

If you're going to use manual-focus glass, I'd go with the A7 with EVF

If you need fast auto-focus for weddings, events, I'd go with the 5D2  There's a lot of Canon and Nikon bashing on this focus from people who don't take stills for a living ;)

The best solution is to steal your friends D800 !!!  That's a camera!  Another idea is to get a D600, though its video is horrible.  If you can't afford lenses, get the camera that will work with your friends lenses so you both have options!

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Yes factor in lenses, with AF/IS (Native). I'd choose the 5D in a hearbeat. Better colours, better jpegs, much better video (raw), optical viewfinder, stronger body, better menus and buttons, Tons of ML features, much cheaper native lenses, much much longer battery. A7 has the EVF, size, and tiltable LCD.

Thats no problem, since the NX1 has that covered, and would still be my main camera.

I love the full frame aesthetic in Video, so matching it with the NX1 would be killer setup.

Are you gonna adapt lenses or use native? If you are going to adapt lenses get the sony a7/a7r, its a way better sensor but auto focus is horrid.

The d800 is going pretty damn cheap these days, it's the reason why I haven't sold mine (too good for the money they give you).

I live in Portugal, its pretty expensive for our wage (around 3-4 times), unfortunately :(

Idk if ill use native lenses yet, though having decent AF would be good for stills, even though I probably wont use it for "jobs".

I live in Portugal, its pretty expensive for our wage (around 3-4 times), unfortunately :(

Idk if ill use native lenses yet, though having decent AF would be good for stills, even though I probably wont use it for "jobs".

I have seen d800 on ebay going for 900-1000€, I live in Spain and people don't earn 250-300€/month (maybe one of these shitty internships), I don't think it's different in portugal.

It's more expensive than some of these other options, but it sounds like what you want is a used D750. The autofocus is a night and day improvement over the 5DII, it's tops in DR and low light, and the video is excellent. The others all seem like pronounced compromises on either the video or the stills side.

A 5dii can be had for €500.

Where ?! I'd kill for a 5Dii for 500€....but I keep finding them for 700-900€.

Idk where you guys get cameras for that price, there must be some trick, a friend of mine got the D800 recently for 1300€ and it was a great deal (usually they are around 1500€). Thats ~3x min wage, which is 496€ I believe. Where do you guys search for gear ? I search around ebay..

I can get a Nikon, but isnt it terrible for video ?

Where ?! I'd kill for a 5Dii for 500€....but I keep finding them for 700-900€.

Idk where you guys get cameras for that price, there must be some trick, a friend of mine got the D800 recently for 1300€ and it was a great deal (usually they are around 1500€). Thats ~3x min wage, which is 496€ I believe. Where do you guys search for gear ? I search around ebay..

I can get a Nikon, but isnt it terrible for video ?

Depends on what kind of video you want to do. The d800 is as bad for video as the canon 5d mkii, maybe slightly better in resolution and a little bit worse in highlight rolloff and "motion cadence".

I think if you just want the fullframe look, get a speedbooster on some mirrorless aps-c camera.

This would be the cheapest option, no AF.

http://www.eoshd.com/comments/topic/18504-canon-eos-m-focal-reducer-fullframe-raw-for-300/

wouldn't like speedboosting an nex camera probably be the cheapest option and have decent video? maybe not much cheaper if you have a good speedbooster on it, plus no match for 5D raw or any sort of autofocus or ergonomics, but just a thought

I think if you just want the fullframe look, get a speedbooster on some mirrorless aps-c camera.

http://www.eoshd.com/comments/topic/18504-canon-eos-m-focal-reducer-fullframe-raw-for-300/

I was about to make these very same suggestions.

The only drawback to this path for the OP is that he is evidently already significantly invested in Canon glass (no aperture control on lens).  So, unless there is an option for a powered EF speed booster that enables aperture control, OP would probably have to get/rent new lenses (and sell his Canon lenses).

Depends on what kind of video you want to do. The d800 is as bad for video as the canon 5d mkii, maybe slightly better in resolution and a little bit worse in highlight rolloff and "motion cadence".

I was refering to the D600 Video, the D800 video is quite pleasant to work with.

If I could get a D800 for cheap, Id totally get it.

Getting an that combo, isnt suitable, I do want some sort of AF, and aperture control.