Adventures with the 5D Mark III and Canon 135mm F2L in Croatia

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
Lol.. That's so funny you went to Dubrovnik. I went there in the Navy in 2000.. I remember getting trashed...of course... An old town turned giant courtyard stripmall built on either side of a mountain.. With steps going between, annnnnd.. The Dr. seuss green egg i got for hangover breakfast.. That's about all i remember of it... I ordered a cheese omelet, because that looked familiar.. And was served an overeasy egg with a green tint sprinkled with parmesan cheese. Oh and, the place still looked like it had the shit shelled out of it the further out you went, lol.

Beautiful video man! As always.

[quote name='HurtinMinorKey' timestamp='1351719332' post='20734']
I really like the sequence of shots, color, and all the captured moments.

But I f-ing hate the camera. I can't wait for you to start tearing it up with the BMC.
[/quote]

So you really love the images, yet you really hate the camera that created those images?

Bizarre.

[quote name='ScreensPro' timestamp='1351817152' post='20828']
So you really love the images, yet you really hate the camera that created those images?

Bizarre.
[/quote]

It makes perfect sense. He likes the video because of the shots, their compositions and the editing. The lens choice, maybe (and the way it looks in full frame). It doesn't take away the fact that the camera still renders soft images that are badly encoded and over priced. Well, it's more like you have to pay more than it's worth to get those soft badly encoded images.
Point in the matter being that the video is good thanks to the creator, not thanks to the camera.

[quote name='charlie_orozco' timestamp='1351910767' post='20938']
Point in the matter being that the video is good thanks to the creator, not thanks to the camera.
[/quote]

Why not just save $3000 and use a compact or an iphone?

Download the source file, play it through a HDTV... looks good right? No moire, no aliasing, sharp, nice colours, decent DR.

"oh, but it's not sharp enough for a cinema release".... well "act of valor" earned over $4m at the box office, shot on 5DII.

"oh, but you can't grade it to hell"... no, but you can grade it and the image out of the box is pretty damn nice.

Just admit the truth, there is a huge, blind Canon hatred on here and, even when presented with quality imagery, you will still attack it.

It's not blind hate, I work with Canon cameras. The 5D MkII and the 60D/7D. I like Cinestyle and they have a unique way to render color. But I can't help the feeling that they give a shit about their video users when they give a lot less than they can give for a lot more money. And that's why I haven't felt fond of Canon for the last year and a half.

all the same things that everyone was absolutly in love with a few years ago are still there, and they have removed aliasing, moire and will soon offer 4:2:2 uncompressed out. They are not as sharp as the GH2/3.... Neither of those holds a candle to the Canon's colour and DR though.

If you are in the budget $10k or below range... expect comprimise. The BMCC has great features, but a small sensor and is not a stunning, professional DSLR... The RED One is a beauty, but a tank of a camera and will require $2k+worth of tripod and many $$$$ of accesories. Comprimises.