New gh3 footage, still looks bad imo

KarimNassar

The photography blog ([url="http://www.photographyblog.com/"]http://www.photographyblog.com/[/url]) has some new gh3 footage

[color=#000000][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]"This is a sample movie at the highest quality setting of 1920x1080 pixels at 25 frames per second with 72Mbps in ALL-I. Please note that this 14 second movie is 124Mb in size."[/size][/font][/color]

Right click and save as:
[url="http://img.photographyblog.com/reviews/panasonic_gh3/photos/panasonic_gh3_01.mov"]http://img.photograp...onic_gh3_01.mov[/url]

Looks bad to me, does not have good detail looks muddy and videoish, and even though it seems to be raining the sky is fully burned out and pure white, where is the "new high dynamic range sensor"?.

Am I the only one let down by what we have seen so far from the gh3?

Don't get back at me with the specs on paper, I've read them and they looked good.
But the footage I have seen so far does not.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
Am waiting for more footage myself. I wish they would finish atleast 10 working cameras, and hand them out. 2 to professional DoP (who'll make it look fancy under any condition), and 8 to talented enthusiasts. And, then let us judge the videos. :P

Hmm. I don't think I'd switch to micro four thirds for the GH3 judging by this clip. It has the slightly plasticky feel of the Sony cams like RX100 (I own this) and HX9V. Probably down to sensor tech, as the bitrate is good. Still perhaps another test will show something else..

As an side, I wish people who got these cams to test would go and find a friend and actually do something that's more like a film subject. It's always daylight trees and water and the like.

Interview them in a cafe, walk around after them, get them to dance by lamplight. Anything to push it a bit.

GH2 also gets moire if using Panasonic's lenses. Namely the older M4/3 like 45-200mm or 100-300mm. I think the pancakes are OK, 14-140mm is a newer lens and you definitely won't get this with the 25mm Leica. But I agree with sanveer and jgharding - WTF with these amatuer clips? The lighting is just piss poor and what's with the picture profile? Gotta know how to get the best out of a camera. You can still shoot shit on a hacked GH2 if you use the wrong picture profile with crap lighting...

I saw this, and the other 6 clips, yesterday. Now I am seriously doubting the quality of the GH3's video. Anyways, I'll have to just wait, till I formally start abusing Panasonic (and the GH3).
The GH2, suddenly has all the old old oomph and sex appeal, back. Reminds me of Demi More after that $400,000 makeover. yeah baby ... :wub:

[quote name='Marcionis' timestamp='1349858541' post='19546']
Wow. Look at this one
Download the original file, and look at the vent in the back near the door and table; also, the border dividing the carpet and floor.
[/quote]

ok now it just keeps getting worse isn't it?

And before we even get into the "new high dynamic range sensor" that we can't see, or the moire and aliasing....where is the detail rendition??

I have not seen a single video that seems to have the same rendition of detail and sharpness as the gh2.

I want to see a side by side comparison with the the gh2 on that alone.
Forget the new features that aren't there and the worsening of image quality, I think that they did not even keep the same sharpness and detail rendition of the gh2 to begin with.

With the bmcc not even shipping yet and the disappointment that the gh3 is shaping into...sad.

To my humble eyes there's so far evidence that the GH3 can deliver better, or even equal, footage to what the GH2 produces... I know it is early days, but if you wan't to sell a successor for double the price, there should be be a definate improvement to the most vital part of any camera: the final image/footage. Better build quality, weather sealing etc. should only act as jewels for an already beautiful woman ^_^

Thanks for that last vid. It was a lot better. But still... Not the breakthrough I was hoping for. As far as the other videos go, you really can't judge the quality of video when the camera is being held by someone who doesn't normally shoot video.

I think the most disappointing bit of news I've seen is that [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Photography Blog says that this is indeed indicative of the final image quality for video. They said Panasonic mentioned that only the still image portion of the firmware is still being worked on. So, that's it folks. If you don't like what you see now, it's not getting any better until Vitaliy finally hacks it. It's funny, for me this really just puts the final nail in the coffin for this years Photokina. For me, there really wasn't anything ground breaking or otherwise noteworthy. I was really hoping something was going to pop out and stun us all but everything just seemed to fall short of my expectations. [/font][/color]

[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#282828"]Seriously though folks, this just strengthens my resolve. I'm saving my money for an MFT Blackmagic Cinema Camera. I just don't care about it's limitations if the footage looks that good. I have a Mac, I'll get an external battery, and I much prefer telephoto to wide angle most of the time so it's perfect for me. Until then, I'll just keep shooting with my GH13. What else can I do? ;-)[/color][/font]

I'm waiting for NAB before making an investment, but unless there's something I can't live without announced there that's out shortly afterwards, I'll buy a BMC.Hopefully it's widely available by then.

Will probably pick up a GH3 as a stills and B cam somewhere down the line when the price comes down.

The video quality is improving. By the time the GH3 is out (which I suspect, will be by December end, or early next year), the video codec will be finally ready.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDa97Pn4eDg[/media]

I think Panny was in some kindda dying hurry, to release the GH3, at Photokina. Maybe, because it was auspicious for them, or something. And, because, it’s the largest, the most famous, and the greatest, of them all, and it arrives, just once, every 2 years. Maybe, they couldn't wait. Plus all the China problems and so many other issues have delayed a lot of the Japanese electronic giants.

Some good news for Karim, though (I think GOD is communicating through these Panasonic videos, in a very subtle way ;) :P :D ).

If you look carefully, during the Start of the video, at the mini wall, adjacent to the pavement, you will Notice, that it DOES share something, very Unique, with the GH2.

Namely …

The (return of the ) ISO Bug … roflmao … :P

[quote name='sanveer' timestamp='1350253582' post='19766']
If you look carefully, during the Start of the video, at the mini wall, adjacent to the pavement, you will Notice, that it DOES share something, very Unique, with the GH2.
Namely …
The (return of the ) ISO Bug … roflmao … :P
[/quote]

oh wow it is flashing indeed....your post made me laugh ;) but how sad is that!

I kept saying to myself I'll just wait for more footage, but the more footage released the biggest of a disappointment it shapes up into.
That's it, no gh3 for me.

really hope bmcc get their pipeline figured out and start shipping very soon. Basically nothing else interesting in that price range now.

[quote name='KarimNassar' timestamp='1350278626' post='19772']

I kept saying to myself I'll just wait for more footage, but the more footage released the biggest of a disappointment it shapes up into.
That's it, no gh3 for me.

really hope bmcc get their pipeline figured out and start shipping very soon. Basically nothing else interesting in that price range now.
[/quote]

Yeah, really sad video quality. And, so true bout the void, at this price range. The guys at Canon, at like Peter Pan. They are in their own little world. And, Nikon, in terms of video, still has to go a very long way. And, Sony makes great sensors, but, has lousy video in DSLRs.