DP Review Gold for Sony a7S - read my Filmmaker's Perspective on page 8!

Andrew Reid

• Administrators

​I was a contributing writer on this review (along with my footage) and I think it is spot on about the a7S as a video tool. DP Review are mainly a photography site but this is the best review of a video orientated hybrid camera they've yet done.

You can read my case for the camera at DPReview here!

Read the blog post here

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I'm not sure why DP Review takes so long to review cameras.  The A7S was announced at the beginning of April 2014.  I don't see this review (11 months later) changing anyone's mind over whether or not to buy an A7S.  Much of the content on their review can be found elsewhere on the web, and was more timely.

The opinions of bloggers like Andrew carry much more weight in my opinion, as his voice represent the insights of what a filmmaker has access to NOW, as opposed to what's in the queue at a camera review site. 

Mike, I agree with you. Technological items should be reviewed within weeks, not months. The same is happening for nx1, out in december.

Most magazines and sites already reviiewed it, but not dpr. That said, they seem to be biased against it, so perhaps no review is better than a biased one.

I'm not sure why DP Review takes so long to review cameras.  The A7S was announced at the beginning of April 2014.  I don't see this review (11 months later) changing anyone's mind over whether or not to buy an A7S.  Much of the content on their review can be found elsewhere on the web, and was more timely.

The opinions of bloggers like Andrew carry much more weight in my opinion, as his voice represent the insights of what a filmmaker has access to NOW, as opposed to what's in the queue at a camera review site. 

​Because writing reviews takes time, and it looks like DPReview prioritised other cameras.

​It's odd - I was sure I saw a review for this camera up there months ago... I'm sure I read it before I bought mine (bought early November) and it didn't seem to be a brand new review then. I specifically remember comparing noise levels in images between the A7s and GH4...

I also remember the dynamic range graphs with DRO and Slog. It seems like this is simply an updated review, with the addition of a 'filmmaker's perspective'

DP Review do take a little while to get their reviews out, though they're pretty thorough and they generally only take a couple of months (from the few I've seen). The A7s didn't start shipping til mid year (July IIRC?), so really even if the review was new when I read it, it took them 3ish months - long, perhaps, but nowhere near 11 months.

Could be wrong.