sanveer

Has anyone tried their hand at filmmaking apps? If yes, which ones did you like, in particular, and, would recommend, to other filmmakers?

I have tried a clapboard app, once. It was pretty neat. I also, used the light app, where different colours of light are available, as well as light blinking, at varying speeds. It was great for creating horror effects, and carrying cheap, portable lighting, which was super portable (for super close up, though). I used it on an iPad. I tried Celtx, but, I don't particularly fancy script formatting apps, so, that wasn't for me. I've tried sound effects, and the teleprompter. The teleprompter was great. 

I've wanted to try using some music making app (garage band, caustic etc), but, I am not too sure, about my ear for music. Also, since I've never really tried my hand at creating music (I learnt how to play the guitar and the synthesizer, as a kid), I am a little unsure.

Anyways, I sold my iPad, so, I wanna try apps for my android. Maybe on a smaller phone or phablet size device.

Any suggestions?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I like the pCAM app, its great if you want to test the DOF relative to the distance of your subject. Exposure relative to FPS and aperture, and even filters. Field of View of lens focal length (great in preview mode. I wouldn't use it in the field while filming, but its a great learning tool to judge all your options when you don't have a camera at hand.

I would recommend Filmic Pro it is a great video app which give you some manual control and higher mbit video, I record in 35mbit you can record up to 50mbit, you just have to be concious of space on your iPhone though and you can only use it from iPhone 4s up from what I remember to access the Full HD.

I'd also recommend iMovie as taky as that sounds it is great for cutting quick videos together on the iPad or iPhone and there are plenty of templates to choose from to do a trailer for example.

Game your video is another app worth experimenting with as you are basically cutting your video live with effects and I guess treating your editing like a video game. It's very interesting but I find it crashes a lot even on an iPhone 5.

Hope this helps!!

simpleDOF is good for depth of field calculations.

My most used app is Artemis. It's a viewfinder that simulates the field of view of various lenses and sensors. Saves me getting the wrong prime out.

Helios is quite brilliant at predicting the golden hour. I've used this on nearly every shoot.

Those are all iOS, but I'm sure there's similar for Android. Well, perhaps.

I tried Magisto, and, it was quite neat. It actually did everything. I didn't really do anything, except like up the videos (in the order that I wanted them to be edited, sequentially), the music, and the look of the video. But, it has issues, since the possibilities are limited, and, the fact, that you can only save it, in some places.

I tried another editing software, VidTrim, but, I found the interface extremely complicated. 

Both these apps, use the videos, which you already have, on your phone (or shoot, or download), and, I think, they both are restricted to 720p. Plus, they take quite a bit of time, to process.