Vision Color Luts - What order do you use them in?

Devon

I'm having trouble finding an answer online on how exactly to use Vision Color's Film Emulation luts.

I'm filming with a Sony A7s. I most often film in S-log-2.

My question is; Do I apply a _CIN lut first, then an _FPE lut after corrections? Or do you apply _CIN, then _FC, then _FPE to properly emulate a DI workflow?

Do you still use a _CIN lut if the footage was encoded in S-log-2?

Thanks everybody!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

The ImpulZ set of LUTs by VisionColor contains the LUTs designed for each LOG profile.

So, for S-Log2 you'll go in the folder "ImpulZ — Sony S-Log2" and use a "_FPE.cube" version of the LUT.
The FPE version means Film Print, it's a standard.
You can adjust opacity/intensity of the LUT.

Otherwise you can use the "_CIN.cube" version combined with a Cineon conversion LUT such as "Cineon to Kodak 2383 FPE (D50).cube".
The Cineon versions are only in the Ultimate package.

Hope it helps ;)

Yes if you can understand that.

Basically in the slog2 folder, apply either 4 things:

1. CIN  (cineon colorspace originally developed by KODAK for film print to digital for Digital intermediate)

2. FPE - (film print emulator)

3.  VS  - (vision space lut)

4.  I don't remember what this one is.

If you go FPE or VS - it's done - it has converted it all for you.

If you go CIN - it is now SUPER SUPER flat as CINEON log space.

From here you go into the CINEON converter folder - and can convert to kodak 5293, FUJI, and some others. 

This gives you more control than FPE or VS for tweaking the image, and more control over the final image.

all this is in the manual on their website - I highly recommend reading that.

also try Filmconvert - I like that a lot more :) - it keeps everything in REC 709 so the highlights POP!

Thanks! To be extra clear...

I previously understood that if I choose ie: Fujicolor200_CIN, then I would then apply fujicolor200_FPE (all under the same "slog2" folder) to emulate that film stock. 

From your replies, I would choose a _CIN lut inside the slog2 folder...then navigate out of the Slog2 folder into the "Cineon Conversion" folder to then choose one of those luts? So I have many _CIN choices, but only 5 or 6 Conversion choices?

I've looked through the website and couldn't find what I was looking for. I'll take another look. Thanks for your help!

What VisionColor does - unlike FilmConvert and more simple film emulations - is to emulate a full analog process, i.e.

(a) camera film stock +
(b) print film stock

In analog film, you normally shoot on negative film and, in the end, cut your negative and print it on special print film stock (very slow [+/- 10 ASA], very low-grain film material). If you use a "FPE" ("film print emulation") LUT, then Vision color allows you to choose a camera film emulation (such as Kodak Vision3 50) while applying a standard print film emulation in one run. If you choose a "CIN" LUT, then Vision color allows you to choose a camera film emulation + choose one of the 5/6 print film emulations in the "Cineon Conversion" tab.

31 minutes ago, Ed_David said:

Yes but unfortuately it kills the high end of the rec 709 source causing for some "dead" looking skintones.

I was a fan for a while, then I kind of switched back to filmconvert.

Well, the problem is that all digital moving image cameras - even those shooting raw - have less color information than film (whether Vision negative film or Kodakchrome reversal film). Since film emulation further degrades the video image, you at best end up with the equivalent of a low-end digital film scan. It should work better the other way around, emulating video colors on film stock using color filters.