Some new Canon XC10 footage

Eduardo Portas

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

This one is the best I've seen, and that it includes quite ​a few low-light scenes:

ridiculous.

So bad I cannot even think where to start...

Burnt out highlights everywhere. Harsh clipping on red channel. Brownish (seems to be the typical canon xc10 look), nr artifacts, low detail even in 4k etc... At least no sharpening artifacts in this clip.

I rented the XC10 to use to supplement 5D Raw and the Blackmagic Pocket cam on a wedding shoot this past weekend to see how it would preform.  It was used mainly on the DJI Ronin M and handheld in some instances.  I have a ton of footage from it. Some in 4k and some in HD.  
- First lol...the lens does NOT slide out if pointed straight down  
- Clog is my favorite shooting profile.  I would not bother with the others.  It grades pretty well. I had a semi newbie manning the XC10 while i shot on the 5D just incase there was a issue with magic lantern.  The auto focus worked well however the guy filming with it did "not always properly expose".  So there was some blown highlights and I was pissed.  Clog surprisingly allowed me to pull some of it back to an acceptable level in post .  When properly exposed the camera can capture some really nice images.  
- Low light was not 5D level but it wasn't terrible either. 
- HD is really nice and sharp.
- Audio was recorded with a Rode Stereo Videomic X
- Lightly graded in Adobe Premiere CC
- Some audio is muted for privacy
- 4K compressed down to 1080 starts @ 5:00 - 6:30

Here some of the footage from it.

Excuse the last post, but the editor on this web site is horribly bugged.

Anyway, that clip is VERY soft. I guess if you are used to using Canon cameras it might seem ok because most of them shoot what is effectively 720p resolution footage, but compared to modern cameras from most other manufacturers it is lacking.

One more thing, don't wave the camera around like that, it is terrible to watch.

Most of the XC10 clips I have seen on YouTube, both the 4K and especially the HD ones, seem to have poor resolution.

I'm sorry but all the negativity against this camera is starting to become laughable. 

It's also laughable when people base the performance of a camera on someone else's work. Try them, and then judge! 

From what I have seen though, I think the XC10 is capable of producing lovely footage for the price. 

• Super Members

It's also laughable when people base the performance of a camera on someone else's work. Try them, and then judge! 

From what I have seen though, I think the XC10 is capable of producing lovely footage for the price. 

Yeah I see nothing but great potential in that thing.

I rented the XC10 to use to supplement 5D Raw and the Blackmagic Pocket cam on a wedding shoot this past weekend to see how it would preform.  It was used mainly on the DJI Ronin M and handheld in some instances.  I have a ton of footage from it. Some in 4k and some in HD.  
- Clog is my favorite shooting profile.  I would not bother with the others.  It grades pretty well. I had a semi newbie manning the XC10 while i shot on the 5D just incase there was a issue with magic lantern.  The auto focus worked well however the guy filming with it did "not always properly expose".  So there was some blown highlights and I was pissed.  Clog surprisingly allowed me to pull some of it back to an acceptable level in post .  When properly exposed the camera can capture some really nice images.  

Looks good! 

​Could you post a piece of the 4K footage ungraded and in 4K on YouTube? Specifically one from the outdoor (sunlight) and without too much movement like in the beginning of the clip? The way you posted, the footage seems too soft and contrasty. I expected at least the 4K->1080p part to be sharp. Looking at the original 4K footage will help.

It may have been focusing related though since the indoor clip (6:02 onward) looks sharper (although again the focus seems more on her chest than the face) than the outdoor part. The depth of field does look really large, not sure what the settings were.

Overall, I thought it has a pleasing, organic look though it is more like a regular HD DSLR than a 4K camera.

​It's a shame that the video about the XC10 looks better than the actual footage from the XC10 itself!!!!

As far as I remember, DigitalRev uses a 5D Mark III and a 24-105 L for almost all their camera reviews. So yeah, there's a learning curve

with any new camera, but I did not expect the footage of the XC10 to come out that soft. They did no favours to Canon here. 

I find the missing ISO/gain button a big oversight.

How do you know what the final edit looks like, can you share it?

​No amount of editing is going to fix that dude.

Getting back to the quality of the footage. It is soft, just like all the other examples of HD footage that is showing up over the last few weeks from new users of the camera. It isn't YouTube that is doing this, it isn't the shooters that is doing this, it is the camera. Full stop. I was quite surprised about that. While I had serious doubts about the form factor and design of the camera, I never the less expected that the footage at least would meet modern standards, but the evidence so far is that it clearly does not. I have given this some thought and I believe I know what the problem is. The new Digic processor can do 4K at high bit rates, but for HD it is probably still using the old encoding engine from the Digic 5/6 family, which as we well know produces soft footage that is effectively 720p resolution. The slightly higher bit rate accommodates the 4:2:2 output, but the resolution is no better than Canon's previous consumer/prosumer camcorders, in other words lacking by todays standards. More shortcuts and lack of competitiveness from Canon it seems.

You want to judge the camera by your prior expectation that it was going to "pleasantly surprise" us. I prefer to judge it based on the footage people are producing with it. For me, it is "surprising", but not in a pleasant way. We have not seen to much 4K for this camera yet, but the HD output that has appeared so far falls below todays standards, it is last generation quality while the world has moved on.

To be blunt, there are much better options than this thing considering it's price point and market. IMO the RX10M2 is probably going to outperform it, based on what we know about the RX10 and extrapolating that. Time will tell with camera as well of course, but I think it is going to prove superior to the XC10.

Guess you're not an editor then...

BTW, last time I asked you to back up your post about all the purple fringing with links you ignored. So I will assume it's most likely BS. 

​Sigh.....look at this then, the backlit trees, especially the "graded" material around 1:20 which enhances it:

​Could you post a piece of the 4K footage ungraded and in 4K on YouTube? Specifically one from the outdoor (sunlight) and without too much movement like in the beginning of the clip? The way you posted, the footage seems too soft and contrasty. I expected at least the 4K->1080p part to be sharp. Looking at the original 4K footage will help.

It may have been focusing related though since the indoor clip (6:02 onward) looks sharper (although again the focus seems more on her chest than the face) than the outdoor part. The depth of field does look really large, not sure what the settings were.

Overall, I thought it has a pleasing, organic look though it is more like a regular HD DSLR than a 4K camera.

​Here is a 4k version.  

I'm inclined to agree with tugela's appraisal of the camera for the most part.  Most of these shots were over exposed and relied on the auto focusing system to pull focus.  I wish I had more personal time to shoot on it during the wedding vs the lesser experienced shooter because if not properly exposed the footage will be softer than normal...but not h264 soft.  You have to set the ND filter and then dial in the exposure and ISO and it's not intuitive.   It's no where near as sharp as GH4 4k footage.  I also agree with the Johnnie Behiri review of this camera in that you have to fiddle with it to get the best footage out of it.  I don't dislike the footage but I definitely would not recommend it as a primary camera.