5D IV vs A7S II

mtheory

Are you more excited about 5D IV vs A7SII ?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Considering your experience with Canon and Sony as a customer so far, - are you more excited about 5D IV or A7S II ?

2. 2. If you had to choose between Internal 4K and improved Low Light performance, what would you choose?

• Internal 4K
    • Better Low Light performance
  3. 3. Which single feature is most important to you, one you will absolutely not compromise on in your upgrade decision?

• Internal 4K
    • Better Low Light performance
    • Global Shutter ( or undetectable rolling shutter )
    • 4:4:4 RAW output ( whether internal or external )

​I'm totally in agreement here. Seems like few people are actually wanting bigger bodies.

​The A7 series are too small for a lot of full frame glass.

Sony prioritised making something attention grabbing over something practical.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I guess we should be thinking about the next 1D-X replacement too... Isn't that due out before the 5D4? (I know price is a big issue here, but the 1D-X will partly dictate how they cripple the 5D4). I think protecting the 1D-C is a ship that has sailed.

On a side issue, why do they protect dedicated video cameras? Would people who need a professional camera like a C300 really not buy one just to save a few $K and lose out on all the video centric features. They should just make the flagship DSLR match the flagship video camera, but without the XLRs, NDs etc... I'm sure they would shift loads of the latter as B cams, without massively effecting sales of the former.

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

I am one of the people who like a bigger camera. 5D size is very good and the 1Dx/1Dc size is better too than A7s and GH4... much better to hold steadier and use quality lenses on, while on the end, they take the same camera bag size. 

And I think cameras should be created at -adequate- size not created just as small as possible just because they can, that's for cameras that are designed to be used as is out of the box, and this approach should be limited to cameras that are specific niche for that use, for crash-cam applications and for those how don't have the physical power to hold a camera, those who need to put it in their pockets, etc 

I much prefer shooting on a 5D body than an a7s, and a C100 over a 5D, it's just a better experience for most normal uses. Don t really get the shrinking down approach. I don't want my car to be tiny, my chair, my computer, my phone, my TV, my shoes, I want them to be ''adequate'' and designed for the normal human body applications (while offering smaller and larger for those who need it, just not all smaller for the sake of it)

I much prefer shooting on a 5D body than an a7s, and a C100 over a 5D, it's just a better experience for most normal uses. Don t really get the shrinking down approach. I don't want my car to be tiny, my chair, my computer, my phone, my TV, my shoes, I want them to be ''adequate'' and designed for the normal human body applications (while offering smaller and larger for those who need it, just not all smaller for the sake of it)

Manufacturers want to sell it's products to as many people as possible.  Some people want small cameras.  Some people want big cameras.  If Manufacturers create small cameras, people can always "build up" the camera to make it bigger.  It's hard to go the other way around. 

I am one of the people who like a bigger camera. 5D size is very good and the 1Dx/1Dc size is better too than A7s and GH4... much better to hold steadier and use quality lenses on, while on the end, they take the same camera bag size. 

And I think cameras should be created at -adequate- size not created just as small as possible just because they can, that's for cameras that are designed to be used as is out of the box, and this approach should be limited to cameras that are specific niche for that use, for crash-cam applications and for those how don't have the physical power to hold a camera, those who need to put it in their pockets, etc 

​I like your reasoning and even agree to a certain degree, however, I think that does apply largely to these fullframish video-centric cameras, not so much hybrid cameras from the M43 range. And even so, you can't deny that there's a market for small powerhouses that do video, so it just has to be addressed in order to give you numerous options to choose from. I'm for one glad that M43 is so small. The reason I'm less likely to get a 5DIV or even A7S is because of the lenses you want to throw in front of it. Little use of having a fullframe camera and then not using the full frame. So you have to throw big glass in front of it. And then instantly you're already starting to get a lot of people uncomfortable... if you're already going in that direction, like you said, you might as well just use a camera that's actually even bigger, since that's not the part that will make the most difference in your set-up being compact. Personally I love that I can use a BMPCC or GH4 with just a pancake, but then the next day put a cage, rods, follow focus on it and put it on some sticks. And then there's the aerial footage side of things. To me the M43 system is the ultimate freedom to go about every moment differently using the same core.