Samsung nx1 new firmware 1.31

Raymond Poulet

Either something went wrong during editing or it's YouTube or you ran into another bug. There are two cases of frame skipping in your test.

1] Old men moves his right leg to the front. Just before he puts his weight on it a frame is missing.

2] Asian woman moves her left leg for the second time to the front. Frame is missing just after the moment the foot leaves the pavement.

​Yes.  at 0:35 and 1:05 and also at 1:22.   

There is also some sort of strange macroblocking in a strip across the bottom of the frame throught the video which is particularly noticible at 0:57.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

​Yes.  at 0:35 and 1:05 and also at 1:22.   

There is also some sort of strange macroblocking in a strip across the bottom of the frame throught the video which is particularly noticible at 0:57.

I can confirm:

1. The macro blocking at the bottom in some shots is produced in PowerDirector 13 (used to produce the video), not Youtube, and is not in the original clips from the camera. PD 13 does this even from 4K clips.

2. The 3 instances of missing frames are also seen in the rendered video, so is not due to Youtube. I cannot tell yet if they are in the H265 120P original clips, as they play very smoothly at normal speed, at 120 fps and I do not see any obvious glitches. I can make available an original h265 clip with one of the frame drops if anyone is interested in checking it out.

Hello everybody,

I have experienced a focus peaking/viewfinder problem with my new NX1 and I would like to know if it's a bug of the new firmware 1.3 or if I have to return the camera. (even if I really like this camera).

This happen in one particular configuration and just in this configuration (i use a samsung NX 16-50 S lense for the test with OIS off and the other button of the lens on MF).

while recording video in UHD (3840/2160) 30P in pro quality, if I look into the viewfinder and use the focus peaking the image in the viewfinder is shaky and lag???

If I do the same video (manual focus+ focus peaking) but use the screen everything is fine.

If I switch off the focus peaking everything is fine in the viewfinder.

If I record a video using the viewfinder+ manual focus+ focus peaking in UHD 24P, UHD 25P, HD 120P....everything is fine.

So apparently it is a bug in UHD 30P in manual focus with focus peaking if i use the viewfinder.

Has somebody the same trouble with NX1??

Thanks for your help.

I have experimented a little bit more and I think it is a problem with the NX lens 16-50 S (f2-2.8) and the UHD 30P of the NX1.

If I record the video: NTSC, UHD 30P, Pro quality, manual focus (switch on the lens on MF), OIS (switch off on the lens) while looking in the viewfinder during recording the image is shaky and weird when I am at 16mm on the zoom everything is fine however when I use the zoom an I am between 24 mm and 50mm the bug appears!!

Thank you Pavel,

What's your showing in your video it is exactly my problem!!

only in NTSC UHD 30P.

I think it is a NX1 problem and not a problem of our camera.

Should be fixed with a new firmware!!

Did you inform samsung support?

really appreciate your help!

Thank you Pavel,

What's your showing in your video it is exactly my problem!!

only in NTSC UHD 30P.

I think it is a NX1 problem and not a problem of our camera.

Should be fixed with a new firmware!!

Did you inform samsung support?

really appreciate your help!

​Thank you. At first I was wondering if it is relates just to my camera and then check multiple settings. Finally I realized that if problem is not in photo mode and just in video mode so it may be affected by encoding system and voila... 

Strange it is affected by focal lenght. 

I am trying to promote this video ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9XF6UTYCe0 where is also link to this bug) - already sent it to B&H support (no answer at all), Facebook NX1 group, post it here ... unfortunately I do not have any contact to Samsung. Andrew mentioned that he has contact to relevant persons but it seems he does not read this thread anymore...

We should keep on promoting those links and those topics in order to inform samsung engineer.

We have to be patient, I really believe in Samsung support...

I wrote to samsung support and I had this answer today:

Dear Mr. bonnet,

Thank you for your email. 

Hello this is Sehar, a member of the Samsung Online Support Team, and I will be more than happy to respond to your email today. 

We have received your enquiry and it's currently under investigation, we'll be in touch as soon as possible.

Your patience and understanding are highly appreciated.

Kind regards,

Sehar M.

Customer Service Representative

Samsung Electronics (UK) Ltd

UK: 0330 726 7864

EIRE: 0818 717 100

W: www.samsung.com/uk/support

I went outside for the first test with the Samsung 16mm F2.4 and the fact that when you set manual focus it goes back to AF when finished recording is RIDICULOUS!!! Every time I hit record I have remember to set Manual Focus? Are you kidding me? I never use AF so this bug is a huge problem.

I don't know if this was in earlier firmware versions too, but if you remove the battery some settings are getting lost in 1.30. I noticed it with gamma setting: if you set your gamma as DR and customize it (e.g., set sharpness to -10), then after your remove/add battery the setting remains in DR but the customization goes away (in this case sharpness gets reset to 0). So till we get a fix, watch out when replacing battery. If you guys notice any other setting getting reset, please post here.

OK, this is crazy. Now my key mapping is getting lost on removing battery (custom wheel mapped to ISO), but the DR customization stays! I tried it three times, same result. Anyone else experiencing bizarre behavior with battery change? This is making me nervous because the behavior seems unpredictable.