For Sale: Five Bell & Howell 16mm single focus projection lenses

QuickHitRecord

Up for sale are five unmodified Bell & Howell Anamorphic Projection lenses. I bought them a few years ago hoping to modify them and make them available to the anamorphic community (you can read more about that here: http://www.eoshd.com/comments/topic/6411-bell-howell-16mm-anamorphic-lens/ ). Unfortunately, the costs and turnaround times were prohibitive, so I had to drop the project. But they are still great lenses (single focus!) and can create nice images in the right hands.

While these lenses are readily available on eBay, it is difficult to find a decent copy. These five are the better of the nine or so lenses that I have owned. None of them is pristine, so if you are looking for a collector’s item, you’d best look elsewhere. But they are all functional. I’ve priced them according to condition and image based on what I have seen them going for on eBay. These lenses are all fungus-free.

Note: I don’t have a macro lens with me right now, so I haven’t been able to shoot close ups of the glass. I will describe them in as much detail as I can.

I - The best-looking of the batch. This one looks to be in the same condition as the one that I modified for myself. There are VERY faint cleaning marks on the front element (visible only if you hold it at a certain angle). The rear element has a very faint streak towards the edge (about 1” long). Not sure if it is a scratch, but I haven’t been able to remove it by cleaning it. Focus action is smooth. Comes with original box, and silver ring. - $200

II - Bronze finish instead of black. Slight cleaning marks on the front and rear elements. Very faint smearing on one of the internal elements (may be able to clean it). Some internal dust. Focus action is smooth. Footage looks as good as Lens I! Comes with original box, and silver ring. - $175

III - Black finish has been removed from main body, making it gunmetal gray. This lens has been lots of cleaning marks on the front and rear elements. Some internal dust. Focus is a bit uneven. No box, but comes with the silver ring. - $125

IV - The previous owner superglued a 49mm step ring onto the rear. I haven’t been able to remove it. There are lots of cleaning marks on both front and rear elements, and some splotchy markings in the coating on the rear element. The rear element has a rainbow-colored sheen on it that I have not been able to remove. I also see some internal haze. Focuses smoothly. No box or silver ring. - $75

V - Front element has moderate cleaning marks. Rear element has cleaning marks, and the coating is worn out in a streak right through the middle of the lens. The internal elements appear to be a little hazy. Focuses smoothly. No box or silver ring. - $75

Here is footage of all five lenses (with a quick rack focus test and tilt to demonstrate glass clarity; clearly some are better than others), all at f/2.8 with an Olympus Zuiko 100mm f/2.8 on my 5D3 (raw):

PW:B&H

Price includes shipping anywhere in the continental US. I’ll take payment through PayPal (as a gift).

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Wish you did finish that project.  I like the small size and the huge amount of old school flares.  Unfortunately I don't have the time to modify mine either.  Selling it too, looks like your IV version.  Your first one is a super clean copy.  I suggest anyone getting into anamorphic buy one of these.  Really a great deal, was my first anamorphic lens too.

Price drop:

I - $150 (includes shipping in the continental U.S.)

II - $125 (includes shipping in the continental U.S.)

III - $75 (includes shipping in the continental U.S.)

IV - $25 (includes shipping in the continental U.S.)

V - $25 (includes shipping in the continental U.S.)

This is significantly below what you'll pay on eBay (where you will probably not find any test footage either), and the most cost-effective path to single-focus anamorphic.

If you already have an electronic or wireless follow focus system, you could order a seamless focus gear from Sean McCurry (http://www.ebay.com/usr/helicoptersean) for faster focus pulls.

Prices are firm.

wish your project had come to fruition Nick.  Would have been great - particularly as a single focus bmpcc anamorphic!  Make sure you keep one for yourself, if i ever get some time i might make a few replacement front cells with courser threads since i really want my own b+h to be more usable.

I think you convinced me to keep mine.  I just like the really old school look it has.  Just wish it was easier to have a wide option.  The Sony wide angle is just so heavy to use and mount, and even then it only goes maybe 55-60mm FF "wide".

I think you convinced me to keep mine.  I just like the really old school look it has.  Just wish it was easier to have a wide option.  The Sony wide angle is just so heavy to use and mount, and even then it only goes maybe 55-60mm FF "wide".

​I've considered the little sony wide angle they sell for the nex 16mm pancake.  not seen the back of it, but might have a big enough element.  the ff38 (dso) works superbly on the B+H but unfortunately this is also a weighty lump

I've kept mine, it works nice with the nikkor-p 105 2.5 2.35:1 on FF and is perfect for vintage portraits, it's just terrible to have people waiting until you got double focus working so this works okay, it gets sort of sharp when stopped down.

UPDATE:

I - $150 (includes shipping in the continental U.S.) - Sale pending.

II - $125 (includes shipping in the continental U.S.)

III - $75 (includes shipping in the continental U.S.)

IV - $25 (includes shipping in the continental U.S.) - Sold.

V - $25 (includes shipping in the continental U.S.)

I've kept mine, it works nice with the nikkor-p 105 2.5 2.35:1 on FF and is perfect for vintage portraits, it's just terrible to have people waiting until you got double focus working so this works okay, it gets sort of sharp when stopped down.

​It's single focus though.  Set your taking lens to infinity and just turn-turn-turn that front into focus.  And I mean turn - like 20 turns from infinity to close-up.  LOL