Magic Lantern now working on Canon 70D (both versions)

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators

Haven't got a 60D but expect it is much better image on the 70D. The 60D has a 20Mb/s SD card bottleneck. The 70D's SD card controller is doubly fast at 40Mb/s... and I find very reliable too. Doesn't seem as on the edge as 1080p raw on the 5D.

I expect low light to be a bit better on the 70D too as it's a newer sensor, but not by much.

Very cool .. and thanks for the heads up Andrew. I Havent touched the magiclantern stuff in a while now.

How about these newer Canon bodies like 7D mark II .. does that have dualpixel af as well? could it be the ultimate dualpixel AF 14bit RAW machine.. just thinking out loud here :)

Awesome. I actually just got a C100 Mark II partly b/c of the Dual Pixel AF. I needed a camera that was "pick-up-and-go" with a good image for about half of the jobs that I do. The Dual Pixel AF is unbelievable! Good to see Magic Lantern working hand-in-hand with it.

​The c100mk2 is an unbelievably easy camera to work with. Image looks great right out of the box.

Andrew, this is awesome. I love the articulating screens on these cameras. 

Can the 70d raw do the 60p for bursts?

How'd you come to that conclusion?

It's not a conclusion, just an off-hand theory. Why spend money developing the DSLR line with features people have been clamoring for years for, when Magic Lantern will do it for you for free, with no need even to budget for liability and support for these features.

That, and how aggressive they've been towards the ML community regarding the Cinema line. Makes me wonder what those cameras really might be capable of- if the technology to shoot 14-bit raw with 12/14 stops of dynamic range at any aspect ratio/resolution you please, up to HD, with full scopes, focus peaking, waveforms, etc- is available in a camera from 2008.

It's not a conclusion, just an off-hand theory. Why spend money developing the DSLR line with features people have been clamoring for years for, when Magic Lantern will do it for you for free, with no need even to budget for liability and support for these features.

That, and how aggressive they've been towards the ML community regarding the Cinema line. Makes me wonder what those cameras really might be capable of- if the technology to shoot 14-bit raw with 12/14 stops of dynamic range at any aspect ratio/resolution you please, up to HD, with full scopes, focus peaking, waveforms, etc- is available in a camera from 2008.

​You can do waveform monitoring on the 5D3 Raw?

Here’s a reminder of what 14bit colour looks like, even on YouTube you notice the difference

the human eye can see between 2-10 million different colors depending who you ask and what study you put believe in. thats between 7 and 7,75 Bit of different colors per channel. if you think you can distinguish 14bit original footage in an 8bit video uploaded to youtube, you must have super powers, because its just not possible. its impossible because not only has the video playing a higher number of colors that you can see, but it also is the original brought down to the 8bit color space.

that video you're referring to looks so absolutely disgustingly oversaturated that it hurts my eyes. in the very first shot when her head covers the sun, she has the same color as a pig that has been eating too many pumpkins in bright sunlight. there isnt even any color separation in her face. its just different shades of pumpkin-pig-skin-color. i find it hard to believe how one finds this look attractive but thats personal opinion i guess.

try it yourself: download the clip, bring it to a nle, pull the saturation all the way and than bring it up until it looks "right" without looking at the numbers. i got to -24%. taking it back to the original afterwards shows you how oversaturated it is. and youll also see that there is no color separation in the color tones.

the human eye can see between 2-10 million different colors depending who you ask and what study you put believe in. thats between 7 and 7,75 Bit of different colors per channel. if you think you can distinguish 14bit original footage in an 8bit video uploaded to youtube, you must have super powers, because its just not possible. its impossible because not only has the video playing a higher number of colors that you can see, but it also is the original brought down to the 8bit color space.

that video you're referring to looks so absolutely disgustingly oversaturated that it hurts my eyes. in the very first shot when her head covers the sun, she has the same color as a pig that has been eating too many pumpkins in bright sunlight. there isnt even any color separation in her face. its just different shades of pumpkin-pig-skin-color. i find it hard to believe how one finds this look attractive but thats personal opinion i guess.

try it yourself: download the clip, bring it to a nle, pull the saturation all the way and than bring it up until it looks "right" without looking at the numbers. i got to -24%. taking it back to the original afterwards shows you how oversaturated it is. and youll also see that there is no color separation in the color tones.

​You may not be able to quantify the 14 bit color, but you can definitely tell it looks better than a normal 8 bit source.

Now when the 70d can easily record raw video, do you think it's a better deal than the full frame 6d?

70d has this outstanding AF feature, but to be honest, focus pulling is so quick, that in fact it looks quite unnatural... For professional work I think MF is still better, unless you're on run'n'gun situation on the street.

But 6d is a full frame = better in low light situations.

Many people say, there is no difference in picture quality in video footage between 70d and 6d, both have the same digic V, and when it comes to the video - not every pixel in the FF sensor is taking the picture, so in general IQ should be more or less the same.

What are your opinions about that? Is the difference in low light situations so drastic, that it would be worth it to go FF?

• 2 weeks later...

How does the resolution compare to the 7D? I am still waiting for the big article which was announced for "later this week".

As i own some canon glass and am shooting mostly music videos this option is quite interesting for me. I am using the gh4 with ef metabones adapter mostly, but i am looking for a nice photo / video combination...

• 2 weeks later...