KineMAX review part 1 - adventures in 6K raw and 110fps slow-mo

Andrew Reid

​The funny thing is, you can completely turn this around.

You could say this is a 10 grand camera originally, but if you don't need certain features such as WiFi, Dual SDI or that battery grip you can knock the price down let's say by 1.5 grand.

A different example: I like the URSA, but the iPad on the front annoys me. I would gladly save £500 and get rid of it, buying an extra CFast card instead.

​Lame excuse. The hardware is there, so let us use it, or don't include it. Who buys this camera and doesn't get 6k and Hi speed? Would you be happy with an URSA with a big screen that you could use, but only if you paid $500 for them to turn it on for you?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I wasn't talking about the 6k or high speed options mate. :) But I could easily live without the 3 things mentioned above. Again, I would spend the extra money on something else.

The features you mention are mostly software related I reckon, so switching them on and off wouldn't really affect camera ergonomics. I could only imagine the URSA deal if the iPad is detachable. Just like that side grip on the KineMAX. I wouldn't use that either.

​Lame excuse. The hardware is there, so let us use it, or don't include it. Who buys this camera and doesn't get 6k and Hi speed? Would you be happy with an URSA with a big screen that you could use, but only if you paid $500 for them to turn it on for you?

​The reason they do this is because there is a market for them to offer this cheaper options, thus it is in their interest to serve them too which expands their customer base and increases their company's revenue. Which enables them to do even more in the future. 

However... the cost to physically redesign the hardware and offer different actual hardware configurations is waaaay too costly for a small niche item. While doing it in software is relatively cheap, just go to flick off a setting here and there. 

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

This camera is in a tough, TOUGH market. New camera companies are bought when they are at low price levels, but at the F5, C300, FS7 bracket, now that's a hard sell. The thing is, specifically at this price bracket, shooters get hired for their camera names. At the highest end market, no, no one really cares much about the name if you're a hollywood director and want to use the Kinifinity it's fine, and at the lower end market, noone specifies thr camera model. It's that middle corporatr, wedding, business type of video shooting, when you making a vieo company and want to get work, you're going to make much more success with an FS7 that's requested by everyone, or with a C300, or with an F5. Even if the Kine camera is better in ways, marketwise I'd never spend 10-14K on it, just never, unless I work completely for fun and just have lots of money. 

This is why this camera wil not be a marketing success, the same reason the Cion, URSA also weren't a success. The price bracket is not suitable for trying a new camera company. 

It's something I reallydon't like about the industry on how they really require specific cameras to get work. If you have a C300, you WILL get work in europe, it's a 100% guranteed, and you will make its money back in a few months, but with a Kine chinese camera company no one knows about, it will br a MUCH harder job trying to earn it back! 

However, it takes good reviews and trusted people word like Andrew's to make the camera requested too. If it is really better.

​It's great that this shows how gradable the image is, but goddamn they need to lay off the film LUTs. Interested to to see how the natural colors are when brought up to proper exposure.

Here's some 6K files you can download an play with, very impressive DR to me, like editing a great SLR still.

http://www.kinefinity.tv/support/downloads/

I still think the 3K downsampled 16-stop Cineform image they state will be in an upcoming firmware will be the sweet spot for me image wise. ~20mb per frame in 6K raw is insane and overkill.

This camera is in a tough, TOUGH market. New camera companies are bought when they are at low price levels, but at the F5, C300, FS7 bracket, now that's a hard sell. The thing is, specifically at this price bracket, shooters get hired for their camera names. At the highest end market, no, no one really cares much about the name if you're a hollywood director and want to use the Kinifinity it's fine, and at the lower end market, noone specifies thr camera model. It's that middle corporatr, wedding, business type of video shooting, when you making a vieo company and want to get work, you're going to make much more success with an FS7 that's requested by everyone, or with a C300, or with an F5. Even if the Kine camera is better in ways, marketwise I'd never spend 10-14K on it, just never, unless I work completely for fun and just have lots of money. 

This is why this camera wil not be a marketing success, the same reason the Cion, URSA also weren't a success. The price bracket is not suitable for trying a new camera company. 

It's something I reallydon't like about the industry on how they really require specific cameras to get work. If you have a C300, you WILL get work in europe, it's a 100% guranteed, and you will make its money back in a few months, but with a Kine chinese camera company no one knows about, it will br a MUCH harder job trying to earn it back! 

However, it takes good reviews and trusted people word like Andrew's to make the camera requested too. If it is really better.

​Did it occur to you that they might not care about weddings? This camera is already being used for advertising commercials in China, - they are gunning for RED's market more than anything.