Andrew Reid

Olympus E-M5 Mark II - love and hate at first sight

Here is a sample with skintones.  Shot using the muted profile, -2, -2, -2 at about f4 with the Olympus 17.5/1.8 lens.  I went out with the camera this morning to do some wider and more detailed shots but forgot my ND filters and then the sun came out so the images look softer than usual with the high aperture.

What sort of things are you looking to test so I can help out?  It is the least I can do to thank you for your youtube videos that have been very helpful to me.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/coo46hh6ccsebkt/AADz2R4BQedAuGi0EpHoowsaa?dl=0

Nice! Thanks a lot. Will be perfect for some testing.
I used to have an E-M5 so I'm pretty familiar and todays announcement made it even more possible that I might get one.

Besides a face it would be nice to have just a general landscape and an object of some sort at medium distance. Like a car or something.

EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Nice! Thanks a lot. Will be perfect for some testing.I used to have an E-M5 so I'm pretty familiar and todays announcement made it even more possible that I might get one.

Besides a face it would be nice to have just a general landscape and an object of some sort at medium distance. Like a car or something.

Yeah, I had some shots like that but blew it with no NDs.  Will go out again this afternoon and get some.  Found out that when the aperture goes too high and starts flashing, the actual video clips are completely digitally distorted and not really playable.  The other shots just looked super-soft due to the diffraction. 

I haven't had much time yet to work with my EM-5II as I've spent the summer away with just my LX-100.

Yeah, I had some shots like that but blew it with no NDs.  Will go out again this afternoon and get some.  Found out that when the aperture goes too high and starts flashing, the actual video clips are completely digitally distorted and not really playable.  The other shots just looked super-soft due to the diffraction. 

I haven't had much time yet to work with my EM-5II as I've spent the summer away with just my LX-100.

Really appreciate you taking the time.

Now Im no colorist but I did like the result with my regular quick workflow to give it some sort of "personality". Just did two random looks.
Nothing special but I like it.

Ungraded
ung_1.1.1.md.jpg

Look 1
grade_1.1.2.md.jpg

Look 2
grad2_1.1.3.md.jpg[/u

Really appreciate you taking the time.
Now Im no colorist but I did like the result with my regular quick workflow to give it some sort of "personality". Just did two random looks.
Nothing special but I like it.

Cool, I have to play around with the shots that I've taken with this camera.  Sometime soon...

I uploaded a couple of more (extremely boring) shots.  Sorry, grey day here and not a lot of contrast/colour.  Maybe Fuzzynormal or someone else will have some better images for you to play with.

I guess this will all change with the new E-M5II firmware.  Hopefully Olympus does a good flat picture profile implementation!

Ok I did a small test. From what I see the discrepancy most probably is due to the fact that the default sharpness is different between the two cameras. Other than the sharpness, framerate and bitrate all other settings are the same. 

The quality of the E-M5ii is much better than the E-M1 at least in my hands. Dynamic range and color seem better and resolution is at least the same if not better with the E-M5ii. 

Here it is:

e-m1_vs_e-m5_ii.jpg.fd9586aa01668ef7834b

These are frame grabs, right?

On March 7, 2016 at 11:44 PM, Henry Gentles said:

This John Brawley Post arrived today testing the new firmware updates! https://johnbrawley.wordpress.com/2016/03/08/olympus-e-m5-mark-ii-flat-profile-tested/

People should take a look at this. This footage looks gorgeous, I only saw a couple strange jitters when the camera was suction mounted to the car, might've given the camera body too much vibration for the 5 axis stabilization to handle. Overall though, this was done with a BM Video assist, occasional bounce light and the Oly 12mm and the Oly 9-18mm. That is fucking GOOD LOOKING STUFF for what is used here. Olympus is unmatched with stabilization, this is all handheld and it looks outstanding. Still 8 bit but hard not to be impressed. The narrative and song are not my cup of tea at all, but the imagery is great. 

Direct link to video: 

3 hours ago, anchoricex said:

People should take a look at this. This footage looks gorgeous, I only saw a couple strange jitters when the camera was suction mounted to the car, might've given the camera body too much vibration for the 5 axis stabilization to handle. Overall though, this was done with a BM Video assist, occasional bounce light and the Oly 12mm and the Oly 9-18mm. That is fucking GOOD LOOKING STUFF for what is used here. Olympus is unmatched with stabilization, this is all handheld and it looks outstanding. Still 8 bit but hard not to be impressed. The narrative and song are not my cup of tea at all, but the imagery is great. 

Direct link to video: 

Check out the other Olympus vid on the frontpage here. Brawley commented.

I am wondering whether this is such a thing as as a simple ProRes recorder without display or anything that just takes the HDMI feed and dumps it as ProRess on SD or SSD? Something with a very simple interface like the GoPro's?

1 hour ago, jase said:

I am wondering whether this is such a thing as as a simple ProRes recorder without display or anything that just takes the HDMI feed and dumps it as ProRess on SD or SSD? Something with a very simple interface like the GoPro's?

Check out the ninja star. Very basic. I am thinking about getting one myself. 

Footage looks nice but that guy looking down his nose... hard to watch for long. Maybe it's just me.

I just hope that the Olympus subtext here isn't that with 1080P this good, who needs 4K?...

On 8/16/2016 at 5:38 AM, jase said:

The video assist I used for this shoot is very low cost and small.  I thought it did the job very well.

JB