Nikon DSLR with fully manual video?

jimcroisdale

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

DONT GO FOR THE D3200. It's a terrible video camera! D5300 is the best APS-C DSLR on the market at any price so great choice.

They should've made the D5500 mirrorless. Away with the mirror.

For all I care keep the body more or less the way it is, the GH4 or NX1 isn't your typical mirrorless body either, slap on an EVF, add stuff like peaking and it's pretty much golden!

TCSTV's impression makes it look as if it's a tiny bit better than the D5300. It's using the same sensor tech and processor, but the D5500 does seem to perform a touch better. Talking about touch, it's seems a nice addition. But are similar final results worth the extra cash because of handling? I think the D5300 is better value.

Pretty sure the d5500 has exactly the same video quality as its predecessors.  

I have to say, having had several bad experiences with mirrorless cameras, I quite like the fact that DSLRs have that mirror there to protect the sensor. I don't understand why mirrorless cameras dont have a function to lock the shutter so as to protect the sensor.

DONT GO FOR THE D3200. It's a terrible video camera! D5300 is the best APS-C DSLR on the market at any price so great choice.

​What's wrong with the d3200?

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Inazuma: it's just terrible everything. The entire liveview experience in focusing, framing, changing settings and the non rotatable screen is unusually bad, with significant colour and expsoure inaccuracy. Not to mention the actual image quality. It's completely blown out harshly on both end, and every single shadow has specifically BLUE noise, so lowlight performance at least two stops behind the d5300. The coloured moire (not just aliasing) is unforseen. It's just horrible for video overal for some reason, even a worse image than the older d5100 with no exposure control. The body us also the cheaprst DSLR I've ever held. 

The T2i is better video camera, MUCH better, and the D5300 is miles ahead. 

Nikon does seem to actually focus exclusively on video performance with each iteration of even the same basic sensor designs, that's why any new camera from Nikon should be tested, surprises are always there. 

With either camera, aperture ring lenses are a pretty big deal. Being able to click through apertures in live view is pretty useful. But there's decades of used Nikon glass out there.

The killer cheapies (people will throw in lots of choices, but there are CHEAP for what you get):

28mm AIS (not AI, not AF): a classic, low distortion, super sharp. Usually under $300 - the perfect "normal" for that sensor.
50mm 1.8, any flavor - under $100, slightly tele FOV on the sensor. Sharp. The 1.4 is loved for bokeh, but pricy. Find an old Nikon film body with a 50mm 1.8 and get both for $25 if you shop around, cheapest way to find a 50.
85mm 1.8 AF or AF-D - usually well under $300 and just. Fucking. Gorgeous. Magic lens on people.
100mm 2.8 Series E - the only series E prime worth a hoot (other than the 50). Great on faces, usually under $100, about a 150mm FOV on APS-C. (the 105 is legendary and priced accordingly).
80-200 AF 2.8 push-pull AF zoom - beaters for $300 if you shop around. Mojo for days. Needs a decent lens support, it's huge.
35-70 AF 2.8 push-pull zoom - a classic lens, great macro 1:1. it can bite your ass with white-out veiling flare that kills focus and depth though. Light sources hitting the full-frame lens aren't visible on the sensor and can flare big time. Needs a really good hood or (better) a matte box with a top flag to "dial in" the flare (sometimes a little is very pretty). Under $300, but take care with this lens. Get some black foamcare or flags for shooting with this one, too.
Best case sorta cheapie scenario: the big beastly 28-70 2.8. Kinda monstrous lens, but covers a good range of uses, $1k or so used.

​I'm finding some of this not to be right as far as I can see. Tried my Tamron 70-300 (basically like a D series Nikon) and when I move the aperture ring away from the smallest end I get an error message.

If this is right it means I can't use the majority of AF lenses, even in MF mode if I'm wanting to change apertures in live view mode using the aperture ring?

Jim

Although looking on the internet there are a couple of ways round this for the D5300.

You can either not click the lens fully into place, which I tried and works, or you can cover the contacts on the back of the lens with tape.

It does leave you in a situation where the same lenses can't really be used for stills and video, but not the end of the world I guess. It certainly DOES get around the problem of not being able to change aperture in Liveview mode though!

Give me a 28mm AIS and an HDMI monitor with focus peaking and I'll be golden. Keep the 35mm f1.8 DX G for stills, although having said that, having to come out of live view to change apertures isn't the worst thing in the world, right?

• Set shutter speed to 50th (as per film) and leave it
  • Set aperture for effect and leave it
  • Balance ISO/ND filter as appropriate to help with the above.

Is that how it can work?

Cheers,

Jim

​I'm finding some of this not to be right as far as I can see. Tried my Tamron 70-300 (basically like a D series Nikon) and when I move the aperture ring away from the smallest end I get an error message.

If this is right it means I can't use the majority of AF lenses, even in MF mode if I'm wanting to change apertures in live view mode using the aperture ring?

Jim

You need to change a setting in the menus to be able to use the aperture ring https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqtVQfSZR9Y&t=74