Motion blur in post looks like it might be feasible now?

kye

I just saw this video where Waqas demos the OFX version of the Motion Blur effect, and it does a seriously good job - I've linked to the final result:

He's also applied a blur to counteract the ridiculous sharpening (what a great idea!), corrected for the lens distortion, and added a subtle grade.

I have no idea if the OFX version of this has recently gotten better or if it's just been there all along, but it's waaaaaay better than the tool in the UI, which is what I tried previously.

I haven't played with it yet, so this might be a cherry-picked example where it worked ok, but it's interesting and worth playing with, especially on clips with more subtle movement.

• kye changed the title to Motion blur in post looks like it might be feasible now?
EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
7 hours ago, Eric Calabros said:

Imagine this applied by camera processor with accelerated hardware for this specific effect. 

Oh yeah, that would be perfect!  

4 hours ago, bjohn said:

It's also useful when using gyro-stabilized footage, which typically needs to be shot at 90 or 45 degree shutter angle; you really need to add motion blur in post after that. See https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=162668&p=860024&hilit=hook#p860004

I didn't know it took RS into account, that's cool.  It makes sense because the data is all there.  

Hopefully we're heading towards a common gyro data standard, or at least a set of standards, that can be used for things like this.  I'd happily shoot without an ND, then apply stabilisation and blur based on gyro data, then apply any lens simulations, then colour grade on top of that!

8 hours ago, D Verco said:

I wish. Camera companies seem to absolutely hate standards though. We need the EU to step in to the industry 

I don't know - there's loads of standards that are supported and everyone opts into.

It doesn't even have to be everyone using the same standard - we don't have one LOG standard that everyone shares, but they've all specified the technical data to be able to transform each LOG into each other.  If we get tools that can read each manufacturers different gyro data standards then that will do nicely and who cares as long as we can utilise things in post.