Olympus 12-50mm f3.5-f6.3 EZ MFT Lens

BTM_Pix

• Super Members

After spending far too much time in the G9ii thread bemoaning MFT, I'm now hypocritically looking to buy another MFT lens so after some opinions about this one if anyone here owns it.

zuiko.jpeg.870c52b0336f32db645a45f883b3d012.jpeg

It caught my eye during the demo from BMD about the new Micro Studio Camera4K as it has power zoom controllable from an ATEM and I will be using it on the exact same camera (and/or Pocket4K) controlled in the exact same way.

Power zooms are thin on the ground for most systems but I have the Panasonic 14-42mm and I'm interested in this one for a slightly wider range but also because from what I've seen it is a lot less clunky when zooming than the Panasonic.

If anyone is using it in the same capacity with an ATEM controlling it then I'd be very interested to hear your thoughts but if anyone just uses it as a general lens then I'm interested in that as well in particular its longevity.

It is likely that I will be getting a reasonably old used one for cheap as I don't want to throw much money at it.

This means a bit of a leap of faith as I won't have the ability to test it in the way I'm going to use it and won't easily be able to return it (I'll only briefly be in the country I'm buying it in) so if there are any horror stories regarding zoom motors going rough etc then that would be good to know.

I'm also interested in if anyone has used it with a BMD camera (original Pocket or new) if there is a lot of distortion at the wide end that, of course, is not corrected in those cameras.

Thanks

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Super Members
2 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Wish someone would bring out a 12mm to 120mm powered zoom MFT lens with that 10x zoom range (16x would be even better!) so as to make MFT that much better for such applications.

With this new Micro Studio Camera being 4K but the requirement for ATEM only being HD (for most people as the 4K versions of ATEM are quite a few multiples more expensive !) then a clear image zoom style function in the camera would be ideal to extend the range.

Sadly, BM are not into that kind of stuff !

I own the lens (bought used a few years ago, don't know how old it actually is).

I haven't used it recently, but yes, from memory the power zooming is reasonably smooth but my copy is a little bit noisy (but quieter than the Pana and Oly pancake PZ lenses) - from comments I've seen, there seems to be some sample variation in noise levels. I can't remember what the focus breathing is like.

Do the BM cameras apply the lens distortion and chromatic aberration corrections?

It'll be a few days before I can do it, but I could put it on my OM-1 or G9 and upload a short test video if that would help you decide?

• Super Members
18 minutes ago, ac6000cw said:

Do the BM cameras apply the lens distortion and chromatic aberration corrections?

No to both.

Although there is correction in Resolve but this will predominantly be live use so that is out of the window.

However, I'm not 100% sure yet whether used with the new Micro Studio 4K whether (like the P4K and P6K) you can post produce the higher quality version in Resolve from the automatically generated project file that the ATEM ISO creates with the camera's BRAW files.

I see no reason why not but this is BM so quirks are part of the lifestyle !

25 minutes ago, ac6000cw said:

It'll be a few days before I can do it, but I could put it on my OM-1 or G9

Thanks.

I'm not concerned about flat out image quality as the power zoom trumps that for this particular application but the distortion makes me curious so a non-corrected RAW to jpeg conversion would be great if you can possibly manage it.