New Musicvideo shot on Sony A74

Chrille

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Rooftop shots, including Marie standing on the wall, all of them looking great regarding framing, movement, visual appeal and being in tune with the music beautifully. It's making the rest of the video look a bit pale in comparison imo, with a less motivated shot design, despite it being filmed in docu style. All in all, the fans will enjoy it and so did I.

11 hours ago, Chrille said:

Hello,

check out this little music video we shot on the Sony A74, 24-105 f4 and partially Tiffen black promist 1/8.

As usual feedback would be great for me, liking and commenting on YT great for the artist!

Great stuff!

First thing I noticed is that it didn't look like video to me.  I seem to have become very sensitive to whatever makes things look video-ish, and it is rare that YT footage shot with mirrorless cameras doesn't look video to me, but you did well!  I genuinely have no idea what elements of the process make things look video-ish to me, and I'm still investigating this myself, although I suspect it's got to do with sharpening.  You didn't over sharpen the video (despite me watching it on 4K) so that could have been a major factor, so well done on that!

Second thing I noticed was the colour grade.  Obviously if the client is happy then that's a job well done as that overrules all other considerations.  That said, I thought the grade looked a bit inconsistent in terms of skin tones - some shots were more on the yellow end of the skin tone palette and others looked more towards the middle, but they weren't so different that I thought they were deliberately different.  Maybe they were and beauty is in the eyes of the beholder, so these are probably just my preferences, but I noticed it, and you invited feedback.  I also noticed that it was relatively low saturation  overall, which might have been the clients preference, but in music videos there's a tolerance (and sometimes a desire) to have much stronger looks, so that might have been fun to see as well.

Third thing I noticed was a few times in the b-roll sections (the group out walking in the street etc) where the OIS jumped.  You mostly hid it with jump-cuts (which was a good strategy and suited the video) and I think you could have gone heavier on those, having more frequent cuts.  I typically edit my videos to music, so am aware of the strategies of cutting to the music, and I thought the percussion of the track would have been suitable to put in some additional cuts in places.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/24/2023 at 1:55 AM, kye said:

Great stuff!

First thing I noticed is that it didn't look like video to me.  I seem to have become very sensitive to whatever makes things look video-ish, and it is rare that YT footage shot with mirrorless cameras doesn't look video to me, but you did well!  I genuinely have no idea what elements of the process make things look video-ish to me, and I'm still investigating this myself, although I suspect it's got to do with sharpening.  You didn't over sharpen the video (despite me watching it on 4K) so that could have been a major factor, so well done on that!

Second thing I noticed was the colour grade.  Obviously if the client is happy then that's a job well done as that overrules all other considerations.  That said, I thought the grade looked a bit inconsistent in terms of skin tones - some shots were more on the yellow end of the skin tone palette and others looked more towards the middle, but they weren't so different that I thought they were deliberately different.  Maybe they were and beauty is in the eyes of the beholder, so these are probably just my preferences, but I noticed it, and you invited feedback.  I also noticed that it was relatively low saturation  overall, which might have been the clients preference, but in music videos there's a tolerance (and sometimes a desire) to have much stronger looks, so that might have been fun to see as well.

Third thing I noticed was a few times in the b-roll sections (the group out walking in the street etc) where the OIS jumped.  You mostly hid it with jump-cuts (which was a good strategy and suited the video) and I think you could have gone heavier on those, having more frequent cuts.  I typically edit my videos to music, so am aware of the strategies of cutting to the music, and I thought the percussion of the track would have been suitable to put in some additional cuts in places.

On 8/23/2023 at 8:10 PM, PannySVHS said:

Rooftop shots, including Marie standing on the wall, all of them looking great regarding framing, movement, visual appeal and being in tune with the music beautifully. It's making the rest of the video look a bit pale in comparison imo, with a less motivated shot design, despite it being filmed in docu style. All in all, the fans will enjoy it and so did I.

Thanks both of you. I am with you 100% percent regarding the grading - actually that would be the area in which i could have improved the video a bit. Still find it tricky to grade in Premiere, def. need to try resolve. Also thanks for the feedback on the storytelling side - def. can be improved as well.