I told you CANON would come again

zenpmd

Canon is an investment grade company.  Sony is a junk bond company.  Canon is the number one camera manufacturer in the world.  Sony is a distant third.

Why would you assume they would have similiar strategies?  Canon is making money.  Sony is losing money.  Even if you go down to the division level Canon and Sony are making money in very different ways.  Canon has the Cinema line and their DSLR lineup where they are king and Sony is doing good things with it's larger sensor mirrorless cameras.  Also Canon has all their lenses where as Sony...

They are just two companies in very different situations and they are both doing what they think is best for them.  Look at Apple and Samsung.  Both have a strangle hold on the world cell phone market.  Apple for most of its history sold ONE cell phone.  Now after Jobs died they are up to three.  Samsung sells a ton of different phones and many of those come in two or more versions.  Apple is more profitable than Samsung but you wouldn't suggest Samsung's solution is to slash its device line down to three high priced (IMHO overpriced) handsets?  Neither would you expect Apple start selling tons of cheap iphones to compete with Chinese manufacturers.

My thesis is Canon has decided to cede one segment of the camera market to Sony, Panasonic, Blackmagic, etc.  They are being left to fight it out.

That guy probably never even picked up a 7D MK II.  Like many people on photography review sites and forums he probably heard more video features and just assumed the camera sucks.  I've posted numerous quotes in this forum from photography forums and review sites from photographers swearing not to buy such and such camera if Canon/Nikon add any more video features.  If you are using that guy as your source the conclusion you should reach is Canon should move away from video.

This is what guys like that want...

http://***URL removed***/reviews/nikon-df

Hard to believe but those people do exist.  And they are a lot more common than you think.

Panasonic's camera division goes out of business.  Samsung... who knows.  They are a profitable company overall so they can have a division losing some money. Blackmagic... It really depends what they come out with.  I mean the $500 BMPCC sitting on my desk isn't a good omen.  Sony...  they get out of the consumer camera business.  Their low end stuff sales have already dropped precipitously.  They are banking on the a7s, a7r, etc.

The funny thing is people talk about "Panasonic" listening to their customers, etc.  Actually they should say some engineers and marketers in Panasonic's camera division.  Because I have seen zero commitment from the CEO of Panasonic to the camera division.  Panasonic is pivoting to industrial and automotive businesses and away from consumer electronics.

http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2014-02-13/panasonic-revives-as-nintendo-sony-falter

Talk about overreaching on your predictions about Panasonic... As for your "Samsung...who knows", I could easily say that about either Nikon or Canon (unless they wise up soon). Things change, who knows who will be on top in a few years. I think you fail to take into account that several Japanese companies like Panasonic, Olympus, Sony sees prestige in the camera market. These are companies that people have predicted would get out of the camera business for several years, yet they still exist and keep coming out with more innovative products than Nikon/Canon.

Oh well, I will keep buying the cameras/lenses that fit my needs and budget, and in the video business, that is currently m43, samsung or sony it seems...

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Talk about overreaching on your predictions about Panasonic... As for your "Samsung...who knows", I could easily say that about either Nikon or Canon (unless they wise up soon). Things change, who knows who will be on top in a few years. I think you fail to take into account that several Japanese companies like Panasonic, Olympus, Sony sees prestige in the camera market. These are companies that people have predicted would get out of the camera business for several years, yet they still exist and keep coming out with more innovative products than Nikon/Canon.

Oh well, I will keep buying the cameras/lenses that fit my needs and budget, and in the video business, that is currently m43, samsung or sony it seems...

Did you read my post?  I was giving my answer to a very specific and very unlikely scenario.  If you aren't going to go back and read the scenario presented please refrain from critiquing my answer.  Also my post was based on the current market share and finanical positions of the mentioned companies.  It was also based upon statements put out by company upper management.  You can't do company and industry strategic planning based soley on what you read in videography forums.  There is a lot more to running this companies and divisions.

Did you read my post?  I was giving my answer to a very specific and very unlikely scenario.  If you aren't going to go back and read the scenario presented please refrain from critiquing my answer.  Also my post was based on the current market share and finanical positions of the mentioned companies.  It was also based upon statements put out by company upper management.  You can't do company and industry strategic planning based soley on what you read in videography forums.  There is a lot more to running this companies and divisions.

Yes I did, and the scenario does not in any case excuse you throwing out some of the comments you did put out there. For instance, feel free to list all your sources that have stating that Panasonic's camera division is going out of business... I follow a lot more than "videography" sites, and I have not seen much to indicate this. You can also check back quite a few years looking at shady analysts and their predictions, and figure out how many good cameras the likes of Panasonic, Sony and Olympus has delivered since then. Some of you guys remind me of those "The end of the world is near" people. Japanese companies, while looking at the bottom line of course, also have a different culture than some western companies, and there are other things that matter to them as well. As always, things are a bit more complex than it appears. (Whether it is a prosumer that points to Panasonic and Samsung for the best video for the money, or it is the business minded person that thinks all comes down to money and predicts everyone but Canon and Nikon will go under)

Yes I did, and the scenario does not in any case excuse you throwing out some of the comments you did put out there. For instance, feel free to list all your sources that have stating that Panasonic's camera division is going out of business...

WTF?!  Do you not understand the concept of modeling different scenarios?  I doesn't mean that the scenarios have happened or will happen.  Why would anyone other than people replying to the make believe scenario presented by the other poster say that Panasonic's camera division is going out of business?!

It's make believe.  Why are you taking this so personally?

Okay tell us what you think would happen in that one highly unlikely scenario.  And why.

Japanese companies, while looking at the bottom line of course, also have a different culture than some western companies, and there are other things that matter to them as well.

Which is why Panasonic shuttered their prestigious plasma television division this year.

Some of the absolutely best televisions in the world. And they shut it down.

WTF?!  Do you not understand the concept of modeling different scenarios?  I doesn't mean that the scenarios have happened or will happen.  Why would anyone other than people replying to the make believe scenario presented by the other poster say that Panasonic's camera division is going out of business?!

It's make believe.  Why are you taking this so personally?

Okay tell us what you think would happen in that one highly unlikely scenario.  And why.

Which is why Panasonic shuttered their prestigious plasma television division this year.

Some of the absolutely best televisions in the world. And they shut it down.

It is annoying to me because these games with hypothetical scenarios (some of which are highly unlikely), have no place in this thread, or most threads on this forum. If you want to discuss viability of companies, there are plenty of financial sites for that. I tend to believe most visitors to this site wants to find out what the best equipment to get at the moment(for the advanced amateur/professional on a budget), and to exchange experiences on how to utilize this equipment as best as possible. The topic of this particular thread is that Canon may have some good stuff on the horizon for us in 2015 (which I hope - the more, the merrier, and the better quality equipment we get for less money). 

PS: Panasonic shut down Plasma's because THAT PARTICULAR TECHNOLOGY was not viable anymore. Similar to why it makes little sense to have cameras with Mirrors in them for Video (though there are certainly areas of photography where these are still the best). 

PS: Panasonic shut down Plasma's because THAT PARTICULAR TECHNOLOGY was not viable anymore. Similar to why it makes little sense to have cameras with Mirrors in them for Video (though there are certainly areas of photography where these are still the best). 

It wasn't viable economically but plasmas as technology blew away LCD's.  I guess you could say the same about mirrorless, they are indeed cheaper than DSLR's but I do consider DSLR's to be technically better than mirrorless cameras. Have you tried shooting birds with mirrorless cameras? You can get good shoots only if they are staying still. Even the a6000 which I guess has best phase detection on sensor technology yet, fails more in motion than DSLR's. Yeah for video they are not useful but they do move out of the way when shooting video so I don't see a big issue. It's a little issue made big by the echochamber of the internets.

That's probably gonna change at some point but they said the same about plasma vs LCD and LCD's never actually got to plasmas level. OLED might do that though, if they ever get there. I'd rather have 1080p OLED than 4k LCD if that gets my blacks to the same level as the best plasmas.

Canon will come again. Then Sony will. Then Blackmagic will. Then Nikon. Then GoPro. Then Nikon. Then RED. Then... well, it goes on forever.

Spend more time on your ideas than arguing over camera brands. Who cares really? Go out there and use the most appropriate camera you have access to.  :)